Will be in Udon Thani tomorrow to do some business on Thursday, thought whilst there pop up to Nong Khai over the border to have lunch and then back into Thailand on my current to "Feb 05" multi entry.

This gives me 90 days as from then just to get organised.

Does anyone know of any problems re popping out and back in same day as intended?

Mijan24 :o

They now run airconditioned buses from central bus station Udon to Vietienne at 90 baht (I think) a seat but times are early morning (9.30pm?) and back late afternoon. cuts out a huge amount of hassle.

Also direct buses from the airport to the Friendship Bridge, departures coinciding with the morning and afternoon Thai Airways schedule; B100 each way.

Limo drivers hang out at the small bus station, 1/2K. from the bridge looking for fares back to Udon; Although they will initially ask for B300 t B500, if you are patient, you can get back to Udon for as little as B100 and not have to wait for the return bus.

If you have dollars, use them for the Lao entry visa, Baht cost more.

If you are a wine lover, check out the selection at the Lao side duty free shop, pretty impressive selection of French vintages.

David

Just to add a little info to the advice received previously:

"Immigration" have an office in Udon Thani which opens Mon, Wed & Frid. It is located on the lower floor of the AEK hospital.

Also received good advice from Justin (Assuie Pub) & Steve (Steves Place) whilst in UT. Also Dave C ex Pattaya now from Bandung "Karin Hotel" Baht 400 incl breakfast. Than you to all.

Warning "Don't forget Immigration does not open on public holidays (eg. Last Friday 10 Dec closed) Mai Pen Rai good excuse for another trip.

Mijan24

Hi,

I understand the international bus from Udon is a good way to go if you already have your Laos Visa.

I got the $30 Visa on arrival, also had a ten Bt entrance fee. I arrived in Nong Khai by train and took a tuk tuk to the bridge, fellow travelers pointed out the taxi's try to turn the wrong way (should go toward the right (sign saying Vientenne) at the T in the road that heads toward the bridge, so they can try and get you to a river crossing by boat and make some extra money.

I had to try and make it to the Thai Embassy by 12, so took a car/taxi at the cost of 200Bt. They seemed to be well aware of the time crunch at the taxi stand. Fellow travelers to the "group" tuk tuk but got there nearly 30 minutes later. If you take the car taxi, have them take you to copy your Lao visa first (the copy place next to the Thai embassy is a rip off) and include them waiting for you and taking you to your hotel after the visa aplication. The Thai embassy is on the same street as the Indian Embassy and the Vietnam Embassy, if you go toward those embassy's there are copy and photo places less of a rip off.

I forgot to check for Thai/Lao holidays and got to stay in Laos for 4 nights. They can understand your Thai there, nice people, boring place. Take a lot of small Thai notes and use them anywhere or change them for Kip and carry around a real bankroll :o More expensive than Thailand on most things, hotels a good enough deal though. And if you eat like the locals it costs the same as Thailand.

When you come back they give you a free group taxi ride to the taxi stand from the bridge, where they will rip you off for where ever you want to go. If you walk out to the highway beside the taxi stand you can get a non-rip-off ride I think.

I had paperwork in order and got the single entry "O" I requested. Make sure you have 2 photos. The Embassy staff where friendly and helpful .

Cheers.