Closed Down 14-16 November+?

goonerthegooner

Hard to say now, the BIB have a habit on informing the bar owners only a day in front on how they will see fit to implement the government guidelines.

As for now the government issued a 3 day nationwide mourning, and in it statements it asked for entertainment venues to refrain from hosting/organizing any events.

It's just wait and see how the local coppers will handle this.

Don't despair. On the 15th is the Fifth Eastern Cattle Show at Banglamung City Hall. :D Who needs beer and women when you can watch buffaloes all day long? The Thais really know how to lay on alternative entertainment! :o

Don't despair. On the 15th is the Fifth Eastern Cattle Show at Banglamung City Hall. :D Who needs beer and women when you can watch buffaloes all day long? The Thais really know how to lay on alternative entertainment! :o

:D

Cannot be worse than what you see in some other places around town..

I am reading from different sources that there will be holidays/closures of businesses this week, and does anyone have reliable information as to the dates of these closures assuming that is so and what is and is not open?

Thank you.

As per the topic title there's a fair chance entertainment businesses will close from Friday the 14th till Sunday the 16th.

There's also a fair chance the other business which are allowed open (resto's etc) will have to refrain from selling alcohol.

There is no official notice to close anything yet, but in this case there is a chance the local police forces will do better then the official guidelines...

Don't forget the powers that be asked the TV stations to air appropriate shows over the time. So expect a few p1ssed off wives and girlfriends when their favorite soap is not showing for the duration. Withdrawal can be ugly especially when there no booze for sale.

yes as a mark of respect i agree but what about tourist areas?do they still want tourists?Anyone coming on holiday and find the place shut down for three days is not really the way to go imho.A compromise of a one day closure maybe way to go(although the authorities dont have to compromise)and you can bet your life there'll be small bars (thai's)in the back streets still open.

If they want a tourist industry they have to stop all these closing days,am thinking mainly of the days they close for electoral voting.

yes as a mark of respect i agree but what about tourist areas?do they still want tourists?Anyone coming on holiday and find the place shut down for three days is not really the way to go imho.A compromise of a one day closure maybe way to go(although the authorities dont have to compromise)and you can bet your life there'll be small bars (thai's)in the back streets still open.

If they want a tourist industry they have to stop all these closing days,am thinking mainly of the days they close for electoral voting.

Well said. With the slow high season many businesses need every Baht nowadays.

Yes we should show respect, but I completely agree to in case one day (Sunday) would be closed.

Let's see.

What I don't understand is why there isn't a straight answer on this subject. The gov't should issue a blanket statement as to what should be open and closed and what can/cannot be done. It's not difficult really.

They already have a healthy tourist industry. I doubt a few days of closure will be of any significance.

But closing the bars for a few days is the Thai way.

Not exactly. It's the Thai government's way, with Thai individuals, and even foreigners, having no choice in the matter. And I do respect.

Edited by JSixpack

Usually the Police will distribute leaflets on closure times abt. 2 days before it happens. So one can expect more details today.

I talked to a friend who owns a bar and he just hopes that Friday will be still open, but he is not sure about it.

I agree with one previous post, and cannot understand why it is so difficult to make a clear announcement days or weeks ahead.

Usually the Police will distribute leaflets on closure times abt. 2 days before it happens. So one can expect more details today.

I talked to a friend who owns a bar and he just hopes that Friday will be still open, but he is not sure about it.

I agree with one previous post, and cannot understand why it is so difficult to make a clear announcement days or weeks ahead.

Because that would be a very strange thing for a Thai to do. Future planning is a concept that most Thais don't understand.

This not a criticism of Thailand or Thai people -- just a fact, so I hope I don't hear from the usual "If you don't like it, pack your bags and go home" crowd.

But closing the bars for a few days is the Thai way.

Not exactly. It's the Thai government's way, with Thai individuals, and even foreigners, having no choice in the matter. And I do respect.

Nonsense. Farang bars are closed but most of the small Thail places in the back sois remain open.

Yes your right, you will always get a beer in some bar no matter what the day.

even some Thais have no respect when its comes down to money.!!!!!!!!!! :o

But I did forget this is the Bar owners, Estate Agents wingers Section of Thai visa.

So I will always be wrong when I make a statement, that could affect you income boys.

and girls. Some times I think people forget they are in a different country than there home land.

Have a dry day. :D

But I did forget this is the Bar owners, Estate Agents wingers Section of Thai visa.

So I will always be wrong when I make a statement, that could affect you income boys.

and girls. Some times I think people forget they are in a different country than there home land.

I dont drink but i do go to the bars. Close them one day for respect. To continually close the tourist areas is killing the tourist industry which I believe Thailand is in bad need of. I know several long time thai business owners, not bar owners, that are in dire trouble. There has to be some compromise for tourists since these places are continually being closed and they travel to different countries and dont come back here

They already have a healthy tourist industry. I doubt a few days of closure will be of any significance.

you are joking !...........close 1 day the day of cremation which i think is the 16th.up to them,but its no fun being a tourist and arriving and finding a 3 day closure,but i dont think the thai govt. really cares.

What has selling or drinking alcohol to do with respect?

Because that would be a very strange thing for a Thai to do. Future planning is a concept that most Thais don't understand.

This not a criticism of Thailand or Thai people -- just a fact, so I hope I don't hear from the usual "If you don't like it, pack your bags and go home" crowd.

"If you don't like it.................. :o ." just joking. You're right. Planning isn't something the average Thai is raised with.

I suppose that everyone has some kind of phone number of their regular bar, so just phone them before you're going out and verify whether they are in business and in what way.

Edited by soundman
Reference to the Royal family removed.

Banglamung district is distributing the papers on the weekend closure just now.

Basically the 14th and the 16th bars can open, but no music, no lights on outside, properly dressed (black?) staff and no television apart from the cremation rites. Go go bars can open if they so wish but again no dancing or any entertainment allowed (so they'll probably don't bother opening).

The 15th will be an outright closure, strangely enough apparently this includes restaurants!

you are joking !...........close 1 day the day of cremation which i think is the 16th.up to them,but its no fun being a tourist and arriving and finding a 3 day closure,but i dont think the thai govt. really cares.

This kind of rant sounds very similar to the visa runner who went to Penang / KL only to find out they had a national holiday in the country and the embassies were closed and said "nobody told me".

It's not like this is something that just sprung up, they have been talking about these dates for months.

Any definite news yet about closure of restaurants?

Planning a big birthday dinner in Bangkok and hope to have a bottle of wine with the food on the 15th?

Forget about it.

If the restaurant opens, it will be in a very subdued way, i.e. no music etc.

The government has asked to refrain from any festivities at all, to reflect the mourning the country is in.

It would be extremely disrespectful to insist on having a birthday party right now. You'd probably attract the wrath of lots of Thai people!

This kind of rant sounds very similar to the visa runner who went to Penang / KL only to find out they had a national holiday in the country and the embassies were closed and said "nobody told me".

It's not like this is something that just sprung up, they have been talking about these dates for months.

yes but i doubt if you'd know if you were coming from overseas for a holiday!As it stands it looks like there is only sat,the day of the ceremony that everything will be closed which IMHO makes sense.