Forgot To Check That Taxi Meter Was On!

FreedomDude

That was cheap! It's about 300 baht (including the 50 baht tip and toll-way fees) from Sukhumvit Road to Don Muang.

The fare with the metre on from Asok is 150 Baht, I don't know what the tollway fee is, but I think the figure of 300 if too high, unless of course he is taking some dodgy route. You might ask why I am so familar with the fare? Because I live right near the airport.. In fact it is 26km eactly to the airport from Asok Bts, providing you are get the taxi heading in the Nana direction

Does the oversize font turn you on ? It is a pain in the butt for most of us.

Yes the oversize, coloured font bugs me too.

anyway, all cab meters have a tickover charge for slow speed - it is not so high as the charge when going over about 5mph. It is fair enough as they do spend large amounts fo time at a standstill. If you look around the cab there will be a charge sheet explaining the metering with a section in English. Taxis are required to have this sheet, but it does not mean that they all do. Usually it is slung around the head rest.

Thong Lor (skv55) to the airport: 50B.

Yeah, OK, that's catching the A3 bus but it got me there! Oddly enough, it's twice that coming FROM the airport.

Twice? You mean it cost "double the price"?

"Double price"... "Double pricing"... catchy little phrase. Think I've heard of this somewhere before....

Why the ###### someone need to take a bus in BKK?

Thong Lor (skv55) to the airport: 50B.

Yeah, OK, that's catching the A3 bus but it got me there! Oddly enough, it's twice that coming FROM the airport.

Twice? You mean it cost "double the price"?

"Double price"... "Double pricing"... catchy little phrase. Think I've heard of this somewhere before....

I get from Bang Na to Don Muang for 39 Baht!

Thats expensive!!

Take a 20B minibus from the Victory monument instead!

the yellow bus number 510 or 513 takes you pass the airport from the Victory monument for only 14 baht. if you don't have much luggage, it's great.

..oh. you will need to know where to get off. otherwise the bus will just keep on going....

I heard taking the train is only 5 baht but I haven't tried that route before.

Driving Yellow Cab nights in San Francisco, outside of the potential dangers, was a great job at the time. Excellent money, too. No bosses, freedom to go where I wanted. I got off on playing tour guide, too. Whenever I use a taxi here, I always mention I'm a former taxi driver. Without exception, this has made for a most pleasant ride for both of us as we discuss taxi driver stuff...

I used to be a taxi driver too. One year when I was on vacation in Bangkok and heading out to Don Muang I got into conversation about taxi stuff with the driver. I finished up a long monologue about the hardship of a cabbie's life by saying (in Thai, of course), "So really you and I are alike." The old guy thought about this for a minute and said, "But Thai taxi drivers don't take overseas vacations..." :o

All,

Have taken very many taxie rides in Thailand and can only tell you it is a constant learning experience. Here goes.

Be aware when using the taxie and pay special attention to everything.

Tell driver you want meter before entering taxie. Look for meter in taxie as it should have the base rate already on meter. Make sure he turns it on. Converse with him and feel comfortable. Loook for his taxie registration with his pic etc. also his taxie number for future ref.

Try having a destination business card in Eng/Thai so he knows where he is going.

Look for a newer taxie some are so old they should not be on the road. Look out for driver who is drunk, has different colored interior lights (difficult to read baht notes), has a holder filled with knives.

Try to put all your lugage in seats with you not in trunk. Stay with your bags. Keep the most valuable near you. Remember to get everything out of taxie. Make a habit of checking the most valuable things when exiting the taxie.

Most left item for me is an umberela.

Tips on saving money is to get on proper side if road so taxie does not have to make a uturn. It may cost you 50B to turn your taxie around. Share a ride when possible. If the driver protest about sharing the meter then tell him to turn meter off at first destination and settle up on fare cost. Then start a new fare to the second destionation.

Toll roads are good if the driver recommends them use them and you pay for them. He gets paid by kilometer and he knows the trafic patterns. Price will be shown at gate. Should be 30B or 40B per gate.

Try having alot of small change so you can pay him exact amount you want him to have. If he did a good job give him a small tip etc.

Having said all that, I have met some of the most carring and easy going drivers ever. They have saved me thousands of baht. It is a mixed bag so try to be careful but not negative.

Still the cheapest taxie I have ever used.

Happy Trails,

LLL

Driving Yellow Cab nights in San Francisco, outside of the potential dangers, was a great job at the time. Excellent money, too. No bosses, freedom to go where I wanted. I got off on playing tour guide, too. Whenever I use a taxi here, I always mention I'm a former taxi driver. Without exception, this has made for a most pleasant ride for both of us as we discuss taxi driver stuff...

I used to be a taxi driver too. One year when I was on vacation in Bangkok and heading out to Don Muang I got into conversation about taxi stuff with the driver. I finished up a long monologue about the hardship of a cabbie's life by saying (in Thai, of course), "So really you and I are alike." The old guy thought about this for a minute and said, "But Thai taxi drivers don't take overseas vacations..." :o

Yep, the vast majority of taxi drivers world-wide don't take overseas vacations, including those in America. :D