Need Help With My Pool

matthk

Hi everyone,

I just recently moved to northern Thailand an rented a House. In my Backyard I have a huge Swimming Pool with three Basins attached (2 big and 1 small)- aparently it's some kind of filter system. My Landlord doesn't know how it's supposed to work though. The water for my pool comes from the river next to my house so it needs to be filtered. I'm cluless when it comes to maintaining a swimming pool.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

post-70911-1226309244_thumb.jpg

Edited by matthk

<br />If you want to swim in the pool in the picture you are going to have to spend a fortune, it actually looks more like a tank for breeding fish.<br />
<br /><br /><br /> Hmm...I'm sure it's a pool though. Don't get fooled by the muddy water, I'm just using it to check for leakage. Who would keep a fish breeding tank next to his living room anyway ;-) Edited by matthk

The water does not lookvery appetising, but a normal swimming pool pump and filter combination together with a couple of doses of clarifier would have that water sparkling clean within 24 hours.

It is probably unlkely that the three basins are part of a pool filtration system, and at the low cost of clean water either from the mains or delivered by tanker, nobody would fill a pool from a nearby river or lake.

It certainly does look as if the whole thing was part of a fish breeding system.

You say the pool is 'huge' but adjectives like this tend to be rather subjective. To a constructor, an olympic pool might just be bordering on huge, where as a standard domestic 4 x 10 m pool is in fact quite small and very manageable.

Knowing the true dimensions, would enable you estimate roughly how much you would need to invest to turn everything into a decent pool. Generally there is no workaround for proper pumping and filtration equipment, which for a pool from about 32 => 100 m2 surface area would cost no more than 25,000 - 35,000 baht By reading all about pools on this forum and then going to this super article about building pools in Thailand you will be be able to calculate again almost exactly.

In these situations, it is usually best to call a good pool management company. :o The other day we were called by a new customer who wanted to know why there was always soap in his pool. Lo and behold, the maids were draining their mop buckets into the surge tank! Yes, we now maintain that pool. :D

G

The other day we were called by a new customer who wanted to know why there was always soap in his pool. Lo and behold, the maids were draining their mop buckets into the surge tank! Yes, we now maintain that pool. :o

G

Obviously a pool designed and built by an idiot. Certainly not one of ours...

matthk, hope the river near you for water source is not the Ping. Welcome to northern Thailand, doubt if retarded chimps should be blamed as they are trainable for the most part. I go along with the fish idea for the system. As far as who would put a fish breeding/feeding tank next to his living room? Maybe they were tired of the noise of the chickens, hogs, geese, etc and talked a farang into setting them up in a money making project. You may consider water lillies as they are pleasent to look at when in bloom.