"lest We Forget"

Kan Win

Mum lost 2 uncles at Galapoli, Dad lost an uncle at Ypres, both in the Great War, Dad then volenteered for WW2 as an engineer in the BEF, he survived Dunkirk, then he was posted to the North Africa campaign, he was reported missing, and my gran sold all his belonings, but he turned up after 3 weeks lost in the sahara, he done El Alemein, Tunisia, Tobruk, monte Cassino ect, at the end of 6 years, he got a de-mob suit and a ticket home, dad died 1980.

Im sure many of us have stories to tell about the wars and our families involvement, and i would like to mention a long time family friend, George "Dawdy" Foreman, he spent 3 years on the Thai Burma railway, he died 2 years ago.

The BBC world news showed 112 year old Henry Allingham trying to get out of his wheelchair to place a poppy wreath for the mates at the cenotaph today,

I will always shed a tear or 2 for the allied forces on the 11/11. Rgds Lickey.

Thank all you Veterans for your sacrifices including Thai American, Iraq War Veteran who laid a wreath at the Soldiers Memorial with her friend Barack Obama today as shown in this NBC new video below:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/elections/l...al_Chicago.html

You can learn more about this Thai American Veteran at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Duckworth

For the last few years I have visited the war graves in Kanchanaburi on 11/11 at 11.00. Often I've been on my own.

I contrast this with the amazing turnout for ANZAC day, with hundreds of Ozzies, Kiwis, ambassadors, Pooyai and diverse panjandrums. I've often felt ashamed that the UK embassy could do so little (lest we forget) though they did attend find time to attend ANZAC day.

Today I went to the cemetary again and was pleasantly surprised to see a few wreaths, presumably left over from Sunday. A small one from the UK embassy, one from 'Alex Salmond, First Minister, Government of Scotland' (sic), one from the Dutch embassy, a few regimental ones and others dedicated to family members. Its a small step, but it is progress.

Still, I wish we could shame our respective embassies into arranging a turnout as impressive and well-attended as the ANZACs.

I believe the official Remembrance was held in Bangkok this time ..Bangkok Remembrance, so that probably resulted in less happenings at Kanchanaburi.

It appears from the article that it covers more than just the original WW's so while it was not held at Kanchanaburi, I am sure they were offered just as much Remembrance.

I personally abhor the thought of having to go to war, but am always willing to offer Remembrance to all who have given their mind, body and or life for their country and for us. I am eternally grateful that New Zealand as my home country was so well defended by all - Kiwis, Aussies, Brits, US, Ghurkhas etc etc

For the last few years I have visited the war graves in Kanchanaburi on 11/11 at 11.00. Often I've been on my own.

I contrast this with the amazing turnout for ANZAC day, with hundreds of Ozzies, Kiwis, ambassadors, Pooyai and diverse panjandrums. I've often felt ashamed that the UK embassy could do so little (lest we forget) though they did attend find time to attend ANZAC day.

Today I went to the cemetary again and was pleasantly surprised to see a few wreaths, presumably left over from Sunday. A small one from the UK embassy, one from 'Alex Salmond, First Minister, Government of Scotland' (sic), one from the Dutch embassy, a few regimental ones and others dedicated to family members. Its a small step, but it is progress.

Still, I wish we could shame our respective embassies into arranging a turnout as impressive and well-attended as the ANZACs.

I believe the official Remembrance was held in Bangkok this time ..Bangkok Remembrance, so that probably resulted in less happenings at Kanchanaburi.

It appears from the article that it covers more than just the original WW's so while it was not held at Kanchanaburi, I am sure they were offered just as much Remembrance.

I personally abhor the thought of having to go to war, but am always willing to offer Remembrance to all who have given their mind, body and or life for their country and for us. I am eternally grateful that New Zealand as my home country was so well defended by all - Kiwis, Aussies, Brits, US, Ghurkhas etc etc

I am a member of the Royal British Legion Chonburi Branch and we have attended the ANZAC and Rememberance Day services at Kanchanaburi including the Dawn Service at Hellfire Pass for the past 2 years. The Rememberance Service was held as Always at the British Embassy in Bangkok on Rememberance Sunday 9th November with HRH Princess Alexandra ,Thai Prime Minister and reps from all the embassies present plus senior members of the Thai armed services.

Kevin.

• 4 weeks later...
What does any of this have to do with Thailand?
some of us younger men (I am 65) who served in more recent conflicts, would like our fallen comrades to be remembered too, the last week of november at the Kranji war cemetary in singapore, we place wreaths or flowers on the graves of our dead comrades buried in Singapore who left their lives in thailand in the 60,s. We then travel on to a desolate 18oometre long slab of concrete ,in the middle of paddyfields in far north east thailand, to remember those british soldiers who died there in the 60.s. But as many experts will tell you the british army never served in thailand, even all the special forces and wannabee sas barflies in pattaya and patong, who boast about their active service in 60,s thailand, we were few were actually there Lest We Forgot!!

A little late, but KanWin thank you so much for your post.

I visited the Kanchanaburi sites a few weeks ago for the first time,

and it was so good to remember and reflect. I and others had

many tears.

Thank you to all who served in past wars, and to those serving now.

I myself have some close relatives serving in Iraq. God bless all.

What does any of this have to do with Thailand?

Chances are, a lot of people have died so that you can have the freedoms and rights you enjoy now.

Many of my friends and comrades have died in crappy places far from home, to help ensure other people can enjoy similar freedoms. 3 more of my comrades died yesterday here in Afghanistan.

Once a year, wherever we are in the world, we like to take a moment and remember those that paid the ultimate price. Many died in South East Asia, including Thailand.

Many of us live in Thailand, and chose to remember the sacrifices that made it possible for us to be there.

A few minutes of Remembrance once a year. A small price to pay.

(note my signature line)

v

• 3 weeks later...

In 2004 the Queen of Holland came to Kanchanburi, and visited certainly the city centre cemetary, but I can't remember if she wnt on to the Chung-Kai cemetary though. I got to stand in line along with something like 500 school kids from the city centre high-school and some other ex-pats/token white faces at the entrance to the death railway museum as she went in.

It was kind of nice to see half the Dutch royals turn up.

You are definitely not alone and please keep remembering and commemorating, lest we forget

Chances are, a lot of people have died so that you can have the freedoms and rights you enjoy now.

snip///to sig

"For those that have fought for it, Freedom has a flavour the protected shall never know"

The above statement and sig absolutely resonates truthfully, especially and sadly in these 'modern' (advanced?) times...

Sadly all over the world many wars raging, seems like they do forget and forget very easily.

Of course they do, and if the internet heros had a chance to be on the frontline, I wonder how many would take it ! :o

And always on both sides soldiers believe to do it for a good purpose. The young mean die while the real bad guys sit in the White House, Reichstag or whatever palace and ordering the dead of millions.