Surin

brianbrain

For sure take the train. After sriving nearly 25 times from Suphan to Surin I would never get on the bus. There are many things I just don't like about the way they drive.

Beware of the expats in Surin, they can lead you astray. :o

Bronco, are you having a swipe at me ??? :D:D:D

I will be in the Ampour Muang (or maybe Ampour Chang) on Saturday enjoying my monthly falang breakfast.

Are you going to be nearby ???

? Are you going to be nearby ???

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. As it was, I had an unexpected change in my schedule and so I visited Korat and not Surin. For reference, I took the BTS to Mo Chit, and then a number 3 red bus from nearby the BTS to the Northern Bus Terminal (about 10 minutes). The journey from the NBT to Korat cost 157 baht and took about three and a half hours. The driving was okay - I have no complaints. I made the return journey using Chantour on a much nicer bus - good quality reclining seats, blankets, and even had lap belts. The bus was half-empty. The price was 150 baht.

For the curious, I spent two nights in Korat and visited the nearby "ancient city" at Phi Mai (พิมาย). It's was okay if you are into that sort of thing. There's a local bus from Korat to Phi Mai that costs 26 baht and takes about an hour. Korat was clean, not too much traffic, and had just a handful of tourists. There's nothing much to do there but that suited me just fine. I visited the night market and also chatted with many of the friendly locals. Personally I'd say it was nicer than Chiang Mai city but I'll probably be shot down for that remark. But then again I'm not into backpacker guesthouses, bars, temples, trekking, and cooking / self-improvement / meditation courses. Oh, one other thing, my "hotel" in Korat cost 180 baht per night, including TV (one English channel), towels, and hot water shower.

BB

Beware of the expats in Surin, they can lead you astray. :o

Bronco, are you having a swipe at me ??? :D:D:D

I believe I know the culprits to whom Blonco is refering. BTW, B, one is now in Cha Am, one back in UK and the Alkie is holed up in a Norwegian compound close by.

and the famous yorkie :D

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. As it was, I had an unexpected change in my schedule and so I visited Korat and not Surin. For reference, I took the BTS to Mo Chit, and then a number 3 red bus from nearby the BTS to the Northern Bus Terminal (about 10 minutes). The journey from the NBT to Korat cost 157 baht and took about three and a half hours. The driving was okay - I have no complaints. I made the return journey using Chantour on a much nicer bus - good quality reclining seats, blankets, and even had lap belts. The bus was half-empty. The price was 150 baht.

For the curious, I spent two nights in Korat and visited the nearby "ancient city" at Phi Mai (พิมาย). It's was okay if you are into that sort of thing. There's a local bus from Korat to Phi Mai that costs 26 baht and takes about an hour. Korat was clean, not too much traffic, and had just a handful of tourists. There's nothing much to do there but that suited me just fine. I visited the night market and also chatted with many of the friendly locals. Personally I'd say it was nicer than Chiang Mai city but I'll probably be shot down for that remark. But then again I'm not into backpacker guesthouses, bars, temples, trekking, and cooking / self-improvement / meditation courses. Oh, one other thing, my "hotel" in Korat cost 180 baht per night, including TV (one English channel), towels, and hot water shower.

BB

Just 180 Baht/Night?? Great,Where's that Hotel?it's name and any phone number?Thanks a lot

Just 180 Baht/Night?? Great,Where's that Hotel?it's name and any phone number?Thanks a lot

The name of the hotel was โตเกียวแมนชั่น (Tokyo Mansion). Don't expect luxury for that price, and remember I did put the word "hotel" in quotes. However, for me it was just fine. Incidentally, I have no idea if they speak any English as we only spoke in Thai. There were two other hotels close by, one of which was named Tokyo Hotel. I've lost my map and phone number - maybe I'll be able to find them later.

If you can figure it out, there are songthaews around Korat that can take you from the bus station and drop you in town. Cost 5 baht. The tuktuk drivers will tell you it is 5km but any farang could walk it in 15 / 20 minutes. They are lying little gits.