Driving To Singapore

I am a foreigner who would like to drive with my motorbike,which is registered in my name,from Thailand to Singapore.Is there anybody who can tell me if this is possible.Not only about the route to follow,but do I need some specific paperwork to go there with a thai registered motorbike.Will my thai driverlicence be valid overthere and so on.

I am a foreigner who would like to drive with my motorbike,which is registered in my name,from Thailand to Singapore.Is there anybody who can tell me if this is possible.Not only about the route to follow,but do I need some specific paperwork to go there with a thai registered motorbike.Will my thai driverlicence be valid overthere and so on.

Yes it's possible and done fairly regularly by both locals and farangs. If you're wanting to go directly to Singapore, cross the border at Sadao and follow the road more or less all the way to the main immigration point/causeway at Johur Bahru. If you want to tour Malaysia a little, I suggest getting a map which you can pick up free on the Malaysian side of the Thai border. There are 2 crossing points into Singapore (that I know of), the one already mentioned which at times can be very busy, and there is another one (forgotten the name) further to the west which is a lot quieter and therefore quicker to get through.

You will need obviously your licence (Thai is ok), your registration book along with English translations and basically that's it. You will also have to purchase insurance carnets for both countries. They're not expensive and are available at the border crossings.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help VTR1000.I don't know if you been in singapore before but sounds to me that you were.Can you recommend a hotel overthere?I been there 2 times with the plane but the hotels I stayed didn't had a parking lot.I think this would be preferable if you go with the bike.

Yes ,there two crossings into Singapore.

The busy one is inside Johor Baru itself and called the 'Causweway',the other is far easier and to the west of Singapore called 'Second Link' toTuas.

As for hotels,,,I know when mates are staying here or passing through they will go to the"Sloane Court Hotel" at 17 Balmoral Road,thay have a car park its not far from Orchard Road (65) 62353315.

Double rooms at about $90.

Have a good trip.

Sio6

Hi basjke,

Just for your info and safety.

Driving all the way from Danok(Thai border)/Bukit Kayu Hitam (Malaysian border)

to Singapore is pure fun and exciting. You will be riding non-stop on the new

Malaysian double lane Super Highway.

Now for your info and safety :

Speeding beyond the speed limit of 110km (or 60/90 km) as the case may be

is a serious offence. The speed limit on the Super Highway is 110km per hour.

The fine is RM 300.00 or as the case may be. There will be Hi-Tech Police cameras

to track speeding offenders all along the super highway.

The other serious traffic offences are :

Overtaking on a double line. Beating a traffic light. Reckless Driving.

Drink Driving (liquor) can land you in jail or a very heavy fine or both.

Make sure you have a Malaysian Third Party Motor Insurance policy.

You can purchase it at the border. This is compulsory.

Bring along your Motor ownership card (with English translation).

It must be registered in your name. And your valid Thai driving licence.

That is all. Have a pleasant trip.