Thailand In Fighting Mode To Increase Uk Arrivals

george

The devaluation of the sterling pound, higher fuel surcharge and political tension in the kingdom all combine to create a perfect storm, but TAT governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn insists that Thailand aims for an increase in arrivals from the UK next year, from the current 740,000 to 750,000 arrivals.

That's a staggering +1,35 % !

This is what we can call a "voluntarist and decisive target".

:o

I think you're misreading that sentence;

see also:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Fig...38#entry2332438

They probably mean they want to increase the current 740/750.000 arrivals.

LaoPo

Thailand in fighting mode to increase UK arrivals

The devaluation of the sterling pound, higher fuel surcharge and political tension in the kingdom all combine to create a perfect storm, but TAT governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn insists that Thailand aims for an increase in arrivals from the UK next year, from the current 740,000 to 750,000 arrivals.

Has someone devalued the pound and forgot to tell the UK government?

I know the terminology used is wrong, but the sentiment is correct. Last November I remember exchanging money at 70 Baht for a friend who came to stay in Thalaind. Yesterday I saw the pound advertised at 50.8 Baht. As for the UK Government, they would at first deny the pound was 'devalued' against any currency, and if that did not work, then deny it was their fault! Curiously when the pound 'revalues' again, I have a sneeky feeling they may claim the credit for that event :o

I think Thai tourism, along will all tourism (tourism is not an essential item after all), will suffer until this credit crisis is truly behind us. People who booked to come here before the crisis hit may still have to come as its cheaper than cancelling. They will just spend less and not book a holiday for next year, nor the year after if the credit situation has not changed.

It also affects UK citizens living in Thailand and booking holidays. I was going to book a flight for my wife and me to go to Pucket from Pattaya Airport. The flight per person is around 7500 Baht with surcharges - that is around 150 pounds per ticket. A year ago this would have been around 120 pounds. So thats 300 pounds for two and we haven't even booked the hotel yet.

Couple this with the reduction in the savings rate from over 5 percent to below 3 percent on some of my UK cash savings (and the prospect of it going lower) and it just 'feels' like a bad time to be spending this cash on the trip. (is this the 'feelgood' factor???)

We could get a cheap flight from Bangkok, but I have decided to save the money. Go for a couple of days out in Pattaya instead. I am sure there are a lot of UK Expats thinking like me.

a countries currency can only be devalued by its government, it may lose value in terms of exchange, its a matter of terminology

• 2 weeks later...

Hotels in ChiangMai are already laying off staff in the supposed start of the tourist season which has now been destroyed by the actions of lawbreaking hooligans who seem intent on escalating to violence and making this lovely country the laughing stock of the world!

Have heard rumors of the murder of a parent of one of the pad senior officials in Chiang Mai - hope that rumor is all it is.

So sad.

Edited by Thailand

Hotels in ChiangMai are already laying off staff in the supposed start of the tourist season which has now been destroyed by the actions of lawbreaking hooligans who seem intent on escalating to violence and making this lovely country the laughing stock of the world!

Hope they lay off the PAD supporters first.