Pigeons

Asmerom

As my problem was comprehensively ignored when I innocently but foolishly attached it to someone else's question I hope the wise heads on this board will now give me the benefit of their advice.

How to get rid of pigeons which pollute the air round my garden from 6.30am all day and every day till 5 in the evening. That penetrating and horribly persistant, incessant noise they are programmed to make drives me crazy. They are mostly high in the surrounding and neighbouring trees and even quite far off. They are not gettable at with hand thrown missiles.

Can I shoot them? I'm sure I hear guns going off in the neighbourhood. I wonder what they're shooting. Don't think its still fireworks at 7am.

Does anyone know of a falconer round about? I think that's what they do at airfields.

Or are members so appalled at my "inhumanity" that they couldn't care less. I assure anyone concerned that I so hate the mindless destruction of life that I often carefully gather up small insects strayed into the house and deposit them in the nearest greenery. I have great respect for life. But even elephants must be culled when they overpopulate an area. And pigeons will soon take over the planet if something isn't done.

Here's hoping for a sympathetic response.

I've tried with some success to get rid of their roosting spots by fixing nylon thread so they can't land. But if they are in the trees that is a bit of a no brainer.

Pigeons where I live actually never sit in the trees.

I am now left with one spot under the eaves where the elec. wires come in and 4 of the things are using it as their home, so I have to come up with some idea to deal with that plus a long ladder to get up there.

Try these links, it has been discussed before... Maybe something helpful in them.

Well, I'm amazed at this rich source of information about pigeon-potting revealed in these links you've listed here. I've only just read the first one and that went on for 75 replies!

I'd really no idea what a common problem it is.

Unfortunately the problem which seems to annoy most people is the droppings and not the noise. Hardly anyone complains about the noise. It must be me.

And almost all the solutions listed are not relevant to pigeons high up in neighbouring trees.

However, apart from Laser pens and Guns the suggestion that sounds worth trying is Ken Livingston's (former Mayor of London) who played recordings of Falcons ; they do screech and scream. I believe there's something similar for getting rid of dogs- a high pitched sound which they can't stand. There's also one for teenagers.

I'll now continue reading the rest of your very informative links.

I was given a remedy by a farmer, once. He said put some cooked rice in a flat receptacle and sprinkle a little black pepper on top for color. After a few days of being used to the added color in the rice, sprinkle it with rat poison, instead. Worked for him.

Naturally, be sure thatt said receptacle is out of reach of small children and pets.

Hoping it will work for you.

I have a few of the flying rats living/nesting right now just outside my apt on the 11th floor of an apt bldg.

The cooing, flight in and out of nest- no bother at all.

But I agree, their droppings, and the mess of their nest is an attractant for insect pests, disease, etc.

I think the only solution is to terminate with extreme prejudice, or learn to tolerate them.

Once nesting season is over, I hope they'll be gone.

I hear number 9 bird shot, light 1 dram load in a 12 gauge works too.... :o