If You Think Air Asia Are Bad

Mosha

I got this snippet at another forum. They canceled a flight from Alicante and told passengers to wait for the next flight. 10 days with no compensation or accomodation.

Just to be curious I went on skytrax which I do frequently to see what people post about the airline I work for and thought I would check out Ryan Air. There are pages of horror stories regarding Ryan Air which some left me dumbfounded.

I used them when I lived in the UK. However, they do use airports which are out of the way and sometimes well out of the way. I think their service has deteriorated as they have grown but they do what they say on the tin, they get you from A to B.

I find it hard to believe the OP's story that they left people sitting around for 10 days, that is just far fetched, even for Ryan Air. You could just about walk it back to the UK in 10 days from Alicante :o

I think you have to really understand what they are offering and decide on your preferences. They do not have back up planes but you can buy insurance. Annual policy from about £50 or so. They are <deleted> but they are cheap.

Would you believe in 1 instance, the destination they quote is across a national border from the airport they land at. :o

I can believe it. I took a flight to "Barcelona" which landed 100 km away, as scheduled. Excess baggage fees cost a fortune. Nothing free, nothing. Flight attendants spent entire flight hawking wares for 4 times their value. Absolutely the worst airline I ever flew. Their price competition has ruined AerLingus.

Ryanair is false economy. Even if you manage to keep to weight limits for baggage, pay using and electron? card? and avoid buying onboard bottles of water for 4.99 you will lose in the long term.

If just one flight is cancelled while you are overseas, transportation costs and hotel bills and telephone calls etc will ensure that you are out of pocket.

I have never heard a good word for them.

I made the mistake of flying domestically within the U.K. with British Midland instead of BA in order to save 20 quid. In the end I would have willing payed 20 extra to go BA, BM: they are another cowboy outfit.

In 1982 I paid £125 to fly from London to Bonn in Germany. Taxes were presumably near zero then and fuel surcharges unheard of so let's forget them for now. In 25 years, that £125 would be about £500 or more and you can now fly from London to Bonn for less than £100.

This is a fact, airfares have fallen in real terms to a level where the train or using a car is more expensive. Yet we hark back to full service airlines whilst we are not prepared to pay their charges. Strange don't you think ?

They are <deleted> but they are cheap.

Brilliant! You should be their publicity officer... :o

I actually don't think their boss would vastly alter that quote as he is well known for saying that you get what you pay for though most people do still expect a plane home !

What bunch of whingers. :o Businesses aren't created to benefit everyone. Some will be happy and some won't.

On the one hand, you can purchase flights for as little as 2 pence. Yes, that it 2p. For that you get carried to the stated destination, along with 10kg of hand luggage for free.

I'm am not forced to purchase any of their overpriced products on board and am not stupid enough to allow the defaults on their website bamboozle me.

Other the hand you need to be a bit savvy to avoid the little traps that are set for you.

Personally, Ive travelled on several 2p flights with them and know what to expect.

In fact, you can purchase one now. http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/ Book by Friday midnight.

Considering the huge number of passengers they carry within Europe every day, their record for on-time arrivals and departures is pretty good. You get what you pay for. Every airline cancels flights - I find it hard to believe that people actually waited 10 days in Alicante to get back to the UK - lots of alternative airlines.

And yes, PeaceBlondie, Ryanair had a huge effect on Aer Lingus - which might not survive the strike threatened for next week. It forced them to lower their prices!

Considering the huge number of passengers they carry within Europe every day, their record for on-time arrivals and departures is pretty good. You get what you pay for. Every airline cancels flights - I find it hard to believe that people actually waited 10 days in Alicante to get back to the UK - lots of alternative airlines.

And yes, PeaceBlondie, Ryanair had a huge effect on Aer Lingus - which might not survive the strike threatened for next week. It forced them to lower their prices!

Being ex Aer Lingus circa 1981-83 before moving on to another carrier I'm sorry to disagree with you PeaceBlondie, (you know I agree with you 99.9% of the time!), but Aer Lingus dug their own grave many years ago with so much protectionism from the government and strange rules such as the competition not being able to fly direct from states into Dublin. The Irish were looking for another alternative and Ryan Air gave them that.

It's funny when I think of my days with Aer Lingus, it reminds me of the way the Thai public perceive Thai Airways these days. Lot's of elitism among the staff, must know somebody to get a job, only interested in the layovers for the shopping and back then we had to speak fluent Irish to get a job as flight crew! We had very little competition from anybody so we really did not care when it came to fares or even customer service. That said I would be sad to see the flying shamrock go away!

Would you believe in 1 instance, the destination they quote is across a national border from the airport they land at. :o

That's entirely possible. There was talk a few months back about the Thai Government paying to upgrade Savannakhet Airport in Laos so it could be used by TG, or Bangkok Airways, or someone for "domestic" flights to Mukdahan.

Landing "in bond," I guess.

Mac

i was at the main airasia office at klia a few months back on business and i was taken to meet tony fernandez, quite close to his desk was the desk of ryan airs top guy, he is associated with air asia also

A few months ago, Air Asia were reported to have recruited their new Customer-Services manager from Ryanair, perhaps this would be him, working hard to lower Air Asia's reputation to Ryanair levels ?

If you get what you pay for. What should you get when the fare is entirely FREE? Yes FREE no taxes, no fuel surcharges. FREE.

Ryanair for all its shortcomings has opened up European air travel.

Where you once had to deal with arrogant, monopoly airlines now you have choice. You can pay a high fare and get a high cost reliable, quality service or take your chances on cheap and cheerful bus style shuttles.

The business model has worked for Ryanair and Easyjet and has been adapted and copied throughout the world.

latest promo.

Flights from LONDON

One way fares including taxes and charges

from

Barcelona Reus

Free

Cork

Free

Nantes

Free

Palma Mallorca

Free

Parma

Free

from

Pau (Pyrenees)

Free

Poznañ

Free

Rimini

Free

Santander

Free

Santiago Comp.

Free

Flights from LIVERPOOL

from

Barcelona Reus

Free

Cork

Free

Knock

Free

Krakow

Free

Limoges

Free

from

Lodz

Free

Nantes

Free

Shannon

Free

Szczecin

Free

Venice-Treviso

Free

Flights from BIRMINGHAM

from

Barcelona Reus

Free

Düsseldorf-Weeze

Free

Palma Mallorca

Free

Perpignan

Free

Pisa (Florence)

Free

from

Porto

Free

Prague

Free

Rzeszów

Free

Shannon

Free

Szczecin

Free

Cheap enough? Or do you want jam on it?

Is that before the checking in fee etc etc.? Don't forget you credit card if you want to call their complaints line. They charge you for that too. Even taking a whole minute up to tell you you are being charged before putting you on hold.

i was at the main airasia office at klia a few months back on business and i was taken to meet tony fernandez, quite close to his desk was the desk of ryan airs top guy, he is associated with air asia also

A few months ago, Air Asia were reported to have recruited their new Customer-Services manager from Ryanair, perhaps this would be him, working hard to lower Air Asia's reputation to Ryanair levels ?

This guy was more senior than that, a decision maker. :o

Runonair's operating model only works if the passenger level is ever increasing and their costs remain skeletal. The past rise in oil price dented profits but did not pose a long term threat to the model provided those bums kept sitting in numbers sufficient to generate revenue whilst on board.

However, Europe is entering recession and economies across the board are contracting. Unemployment is rising and the British Isles once the treasure island attracting migrant workers is perceived to be the worst placed to weather the economic doldrums. The domestic market is therefore unlikely to persist for much longer to sustain Runonair's operating plan. They are hoping that their competitors will fail first and they will step in to mop up but Sleazyjet run a similar operation and in the current climate it remains to be seen if the new market can sustain 2 low cost carriers of their magnitude.

Logically their model based upon expansion will necessitate a diversification into fresher fields. Historically, this means a transatlantic network and I believe both are planning routes to New York etc based on fares sub the £100 mark. Interesting times but the auspices for erstwhile low cost short haul carriers entering the long haul market are not good. Oasis operating out of HNK to LGW was successful to a point but their passenger loads post Xmas 2007 fell off the cliff and costs exacerbated by the increase in fuel led to bankruptcy.

Either way, Runonair is at a strategic crossroads and one of the signs could be pointing to oblivion.

Is that before the checking in fee etc etc.? Don't forget you credit card if you want to call their complaints line. They charge you for that too. Even taking a whole minute up to tell you you are being charged before putting you on hold.

Some people just don't get it.....

" A man was in the bar at an airport when he noticed a beautiful woman alongside him. "Wow," he thought, "She must be an air hostess. I wonder which airline she works for."

He leaned over and uttered the Delta Airline slogan "Love to fly and it shows?" She gave him a blank stare and he thought "Hmm. Not Delta."

Another slogan popped into his head, and he leaned over again;: "Something special in the air?"

She gave him another confused look and he scratched Singapore airlines off the list.

Thinking "perhaps she works for Thai Airways.." he said "Smooth as silk?"

This time the woman got angry, turned on him and said: "What the f*** do you want?"

The man slumped back in his chair. "Ahhh, Ryanair" he sighed. "

Would you believe in 1 instance, the destination they quote is across a national border from the airport they land at. laugh.gif

I don't know which one that might be (maybe Lille-Brussels?), although I can't think of why it should be any kind of issue. For instance, Karlsruhe-Baden Airport in Germany (where I once ran the radio station when it was a Canadian Forces Base) is only about 30-40 minutes away from Strasbourg, France, and there's not even a border control anymore. There's no time difference compared to landing at Suvarnabhumi and taking a taxi into central Bangkok.

Of course the off-centre airports are part of Ryanair's strategy of paying rock-bottom landing fees and passing them onto you as rock-bottom ticket prices. I've heard of German business travellers living outside of Frankurt, who when they have a week of meetings in London, return every night to Frankfurt-Hahn rather than pay ridiculous London hotel prices. Hahn turns out to be more convenient (and a lot cheaper) than Frankfurt International. And a lot of people don't care if it's 100 km from Frankfurt city centre (lets not talk about carbon footprints).

Ryanair is great for what it is - low cost point-to-point travel. So is Air Asia. I've never had a negative experience with either one of them because I don't expect much. But I could tell you a few horror stories I've had when paying top-drawer prices on legacy airlines.