How Can My New Lg Front-loader Wash With So Little Water?

nudnik

I just purchased a brand new LG front-loader 7.5 kilos at Numchai in Pattaya. Carrefour sells this one for almost 18,000 baht (thieves and robbers) while it is selling at Numchai for 15,000 baht.

I'm baffled by this machine. I can't see water sloshing around in the drum yet it does clean the clothes. How can it do this with so little water? Also, the cotton setting is more than 3 hours in duration and that is without adding extras - hot water - extra rinse. If you add everything it will take almost 3 and a half hours.

Water is cheap, electricity is not.

These machines are obviously programmed this way but what NUDNIK in the government mandated the companies use more electricity and less water?

Am I the only one with a retarded machine? And don't bother telling me it's broken, it is not. I've already questioned Numchai who tell me it is functioning normally.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had a front loader for years here in the US and the washing cycle in usually somewhere around 30 minutes which is about normal for front loaders. Three hours appears to be total ridiculous. If, as you say, nothing is wrong with you front loader then I would suggest checking the water volume going into your machine. Each fill cycle that requires additional water will slow down if for some reason the water supply volume is somehow restricted and it takes the water a long time to reach the level for the cycle to resume. This is the only thing that I can think of that would slow down your washer if there is nothing wrong with the actual machine.

The time has nothing to do with the water flow. The LED tells me how long the cycle will be - it is 3 hours for cotton - 1 hour for synthetics - a baby wash is 2 hours. I use the 30 minute quickwash which let's me add an extra rinse but not a pre-wash. I can set the temp to 40c but not to 90c as I can on a Cotton Cycle. I'm limited.

If I want a hot wash, I have to start on Cotton - and then show up 30 minutes later, turn it off and set it for the 30 min quickwash-the only way I can get 90c water, and extra rinses without having it run for 3 hours.

By the way, the machine on cotton with all extras - pre wash, 90c water, 800 spin, and rinse+ is a whopping 3.5 hours. That's what it says, and that is how long it takes.

The machine is not advertised as "waterless" but it sure appears that way. As one poster stated, the clothes are wet and maybe there is more friction against the other clothes than if it was hitting water instead of fabric.

I never thought of it this way, but why so dam_n long?

Yes if you add all the cycles it may be over 3 hours but you won't be adding pre wash, extra rinse and high temperature for most of your washes. If you take another look you will see the clothes are wet when washing but not sloshing around in lots of water. Llook again when it is on rinse there will be more water. Be careful with detergent front load washing detergent is low suds and you only need a small amount as it is not disolved in huge amounts of water. The store is correct it is functioning normally.

Is it connected to both hot and cold supplies, or just cold. I'm guessing the latter. Since I bought a new machine in the UK which only takes in cold water, if I select a cotton wash it takes a lot longer then my previous machine as it has to heat up the water. But even then it's just over an hour. Three hours does sound very excessive!

I have a LG Tromm 6 kg machine and the cotton cycle at 95 deg and top spin is programmed at 2 hr 27 min. (so probably will take longer). I usually now use the 'Quick 30' wash option at 40 deg which takes about 37 mins and is OK for normal soiled clothes. I have had the machine about 3 years and am very happy with the quick cycle as I can get the washing and ironing (slightly damp) over in one hour.

Sounds like your machine is working as designed.

I just purchased a brand new LG front-loader 7.5 kilos at Numchai in Pattaya. Carrefour sells this one for almost 18,000 baht (thieves and robbers) while it is selling at Numchai for 15,000 baht.

I'm baffled by this machine. I can't see water sloshing around in the drum yet it does clean the clothes. How can it do this with so little water? Also, the cotton setting is more than 3 hours in duration and that is without adding extras - hot water - extra rinse. If you add everything it will take almost 3 and a half hours.

Water is cheap, electricity is not.

These machines are obviously programmed this way but what NUDNIK in the government mandated the companies use more electricity and less water?

Am I the only one with a retarded machine? And don't bother telling me it's broken, it is not. I've already questioned Numchai who tell me it is functioning normally.

I have more than 30 years of experience in the business. the new generation of laundry machines uses less water. If your laundry takes 3 hours its possible that you accidental program it on a low energy program who allows you to wash it on a lower temperature using less water. I advise you to really read you operating Manuel. Normally its explained in it very well. if you don't have an manual in your native language or English you can find all the information necessary , and download manuals in the LG website below

http://www.lge.com/products/category/list/...20machine.jhtml

I write but not all of you read. It is a Tromm 7.5 kilo LG. The cotton program is over 3 hours. Electricity here costs more than water. You can't add all the programs together, the cotton wash starts at 3:05 and soon becomes 3 and a half hours if you add extras.

Water input is cold - it has its own heating element to 90c. I read the manual. 3 hours seems over the top.

I write but not all of you read. It is a Tromm 7.5 kilo LG. The cotton program is over 3 hours. Electricity here costs more than water. You can't add all the programs together, the cotton wash starts at 3:05 and soon becomes 3 and a half hours if you add extras.

Water input is cold - it has its own heating element to 90c. I read the manual. 3 hours seems over the top.

It is mate, no wonder that one you bought (off the back of a truck) was such a good deal. :o

I have a different model and my neighbor has another model of front load. in the states it takes 30 minutes or so and you use very little soap and you have a hot ad cold input. here, for reasons unknown to me, they do take hours to clean and there is only a cold water input and the machine heats it up.

maybe "garyh", the poster that says he repairs these front loaders can tell us why it take a ridiculously long time. I would not have got a front loader if i knew that

I have a different model and my neighbor has another model of front load. in the states it takes 30 minutes or so and you use very little soap and you have a hot ad cold input. here, for reasons unknown to me, they do take hours to clean and there is only a cold water input and the machine heats it up.

maybe "garyh", the poster that says he repairs these front loaders can tell us why it take a ridiculously long time. I would not have got a front loader if i knew that

I mainly use the 30min quickwash which I add a rinse and make the spin 800 - which takes it to 40 minutes. It does a good job cleaning the clothes but I can't get the water hotter than 40c. If I want to wash whites with hot water then I have to start a cotton cycle, choose 90c and then interrupt it after the first wash and then choose a 30min quick wash.

A real pain the ass if you ask me.

Edited by nudnik

It is mate, no wonder that one you bought (off the back of a truck) was such a good deal. :o

Off the back of the truck into Numchai's loading dock. I'm sure that's what you meant. While I used to be a policewoman, I hope you don't think we in America are corrupt like the rotten police I have met here. I would have fired each and every one of them and brought them up on charges.

The people here with guns are not police. A peace officer is a noble profession, these people are mainly criminal hacks with guns.

And do you Brits call your women "mate" as well as your male friends?

Edited by nudnik

It is mate, no wonder that one you bought (off the back of a truck) was such a good deal. :D

Off the back of the truck into Numchai's loading dock. I'm sure that's what you meant. While I used to be a policewoman, I hope you don't think we in America are corrupt like the rotten police I have met here. I would have fired each and every one of them and brought them up on charges.

The people here with guns are not police. A peace officer is a noble profession, these people are mainly criminal hacks with guns.

And do you Brits call your women "mate" as well as your male friends?

Well mate, I aint british although I have been seen once or twice in the company of some. But I guess we were both assuming (you a male, me a brit :D )

My point was I guess it wasn't such a good deal. :o

I've read through the whole thread. Try washing with regular water once and see how long it can finish. Hot program requires longer time. 3 hours is the right time, not too long.

Agree that front loader uses too little water. I have an Electrolux. After it finishes, I always chose the rinse program to wash again which takes another 30 minutes. It'll add water 3 times. I only use softener in this step.

Also, the cotton setting is more than 3 hours in duration and that is without adding extras - hot water - extra rinse. If you add everything it will take almost 3 and a half hours

Rather akin to the Japanese Tea Ceremony, the Korean Art Of Cotton Washing is a rather curious cultural anomaly, lasting for up to 2 days, when performed by a master.

Washing machines here are very weird indeed :D . Seems like they are programmed this way...

If I ever move to live here from Europe, I will import all my house appliances :o

Washing machines here 'Suck', a friend of mine who runs a minnie cleaning service got fed up with the poor performance etc , so he purchased north American machines at their scratch and dent wharehouse and gets the job done better and more quickly , they have to be advertised in BKK somewhere .

I took a quick peak in the LG reports from a outside source and was amazed at the problems owners have with these over rated appliances that take a disgustingly long time to do a simple operation . Drive motors etc breaking down in less than 3 years , cannot get service to call in a reasonable time , but the most alarming was the formation of mold forms in the machine and the terrible smell of the clothing .

You payed how much for the pleasure ? LOL 555 LOL .

that is correct; most of our machines (not in the usa) take about 3 to 3.5 hours to do jeans, work clothes etc; intake cold water, i set most clothes for 30 degree (centigrade) so shorter cycles (set on five if u have a setting like that)... pre rinse cotton hot water, almost four hours so i put it on at night, hang out the clothes in morning before work... thats the way everyone here does it also...

probably a five kilo m achine with a 400 to 800 spin cycle also... mine is the cheapest, clothes dont spin too dry but no prob in summer. winter its a bummer. i though all machines are like that.? my husband fixes up all types of washing machines that people junk out or want to get rid of, and they all act the same: long cycles, and here, anyway, we all hook up to cold water , there's no way anyone here will use up their precious hot water tank water on clothing.

so: womens shirts, basic clothes, on short, cold water cycle. dirty clothes (work clothes from farm etc), 90 long cotton cycle, same as baby clothes. womens understuff and delicate and synthetic, its the faster cycle there is, 30 synthetic on number 4.... chikchak (leo leo...)...

bina

israel

To the uninitiated, "front loading" washing machines seem expensive to buy & expensive to run. In actual fact, the only expensive part is the "buying".

Front loaders are the perfect washing machine. They use minimal energy (if used sensibly) & do not damage the clothes. The "trade off" is time.

DO NOT use warm or hot water to wash clothes unless they are extremely dirty. Heated water for washing clothes is generally unnecessary in this day & age due to the high performance of modern detergents in cold water.

I wouldn't buy anything that is LG. I think that LG is not good...at all.

Also, bare in mind that "high tech" machines are more expensive & more difficult to repair. For this reason, I have an old "twin tub"...it does a good job & I use cold water. The best thing is that if it breaks down, there is no "high technology" to deal with.

I will one day buy a front loader again. I will ensure that I have complete control over the water temperature, in my choice of machines.

Your clothes last forever if washed in a front loader.

Edited by elkangorito

I'll bet it is because the OP only has a cold water inlet and the cycle he is using requires hot water. Thus the washing machine has to heat the water each time it takes in water. You can get around this by installing a cheap shower heater to the hot water inlet which provides only the water you need.

I'll bet it is because the OP only has a cold water inlet and the cycle he is using requires hot water. Thus the washing machine has to heat the water each time it takes in water. You can get around this by installing a cheap shower heater to the hot water inlet which provides only the water you need.

You're a very backwards fellow. I am a woman. I can also choose cold for any wash cycle including cotton. It is that I cannot choose hot water for the quickwash.

Please reverse next post and you'll get it right :-)|||

Washing machines here are very weird indeed :D . Seems like they are programmed this way...

If I ever move to live here from Europe, I will import all my house appliances :o

Washing machines here 'Suck', a friend of mine who runs a minnie cleaning service got fed up with the poor performance etc , so he purchased north American machines at their scratch and dent wharehouse and gets the job done better and more quickly , they have to be advertised in BKK somewhere .

I took a quick peak in the LG reports from a outside source and was amazed at the problems owners have with these over rated appliances that take a disgustingly long time to do a simple operation . Drive motors etc breaking down in less than 3 years , cannot get service to call in a reasonable time , but the most alarming was the formation of mold forms in the machine and the terrible smell of the clothing .

You payed how much for the pleasure ? LOL 555 LOL .

You should google maytag neptune, real high quality over priced product, made in USA and lots of class actions against maytag.

To the uninitiated, "front loading" washing machines seem expensive to buy & expensive to run. In actual fact, the only expensive part is the "buying".

Front loaders are the perfect washing machine. They use minimal energy (if used sensibly) & do not damage the clothes. The "trade off" is time.

DO NOT use warm or hot water to wash clothes unless they are extremely dirty. Heated water for washing clothes is generally unnecessary in this day & age due to the high performance of modern detergents in cold water.

I wouldn't buy anything that is LG. I think that LG is not good...at all.

Also, bare in mind that "high tech" machines are more expensive & more difficult to repair. For this reason, I have an old "twin tub"...it does a good job & I use cold water. The best thing is that if it breaks down, there is no "high technology" to deal with.

I will one day buy a front loader again. I will ensure that I have complete control over the water temperature, in my choice of machines.

Your clothes last forever if washed in a front loader.

No Matter what washing machine you have it is a good idea to do an occassional hot wash to clean out the machine, especially if you use softner.