We're Pregnant! Will Give Birth In Thailand. Advice?

johnnymoretti

Didn't some bloke have a baby about a year ago?

pregnant_woman_thinks_shes_man.jpg

Nov. 13, 2008

Thomas Beatie, the controversial "pregnant man" who gave birth to a daughter earlier this year, reveals to Barbara Walters in an exclusive interview that he is pregnant again with his second child.

Bet his dad's proud as punch. :)

Nothing surprises me around here anymore.

Edited by Texpat

Hi John and Roon,

I was wondering if you could tell me about the name of your baby. My son will be born in Thailand in about 2 weeks from now in a place close to Korat and I have some trouble with Thai boy names as they sound very strange to me.

All the best to both of you! :)

We named our son Chase Timmakon Slanina. Was going to me Tiger like Tiger Woods but my family hated that named. Her family still calls him Tiger, because Chase is hard for them to say. My sister came up with Chase because I chased my wife half way around the world hahaha. "Timmakon" my wife got to pick the middle name and from what she said mean "Legacy of Tim" where Tim is her grandfather.

We used a Baby Bjorn carrier for our first daughter and will use Baush Baby carrier for our 2nd. Great for getting around Bangkok or even around the house when they won't sleep. Very expensive in Thailand, but cheap in the US.

We used a Baby Bjorn carrier for our first daughter and will use Baush Baby carrier for our 2nd. Great for getting around Bangkok or even around the house when they won't sleep. Very expensive in Thailand, but cheap in the US.

Oh yes Baby Bjorn are great and can pick up on an ebay cheap. Talk about a sleep machine. Put our 2 month old son in it when we walk around Bangkok. He was out for the count sleeping in it all the time.

Hi John and Roon,

I was wondering if you could tell me about the name of your baby. My son will be born in Thailand in about 2 weeks from now in a place close to Korat and I have some trouble with Thai boy names as they sound very strange to me.

All the best to both of you! :)

We have found out we're having a baby girl. We've named her Genia Tiamjan, after both her grandmothers. By now you have your new son and we hope all is going well!!

Congratulations on having a baby, wish you both luck. We had our son Jan 20 this year at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok which was far from her house but Blue Cross covered all the cost except we got a private room so I can stay with her and the baby,cost us about 1,500B a night. We are talking about baby #2 now even if she is in the USA thinking about going back to Thailand to have the baby. It is a lot easier for her to understand what is going on there, then in the USA not knowing good english. I think that a good move have it there so your wife can understand all that is going on. Drove me crazy not know what the hel_l was going on haha.

Good-Luck

My wife landed in BKK last night. She is now with her two sisters and family. She is in week 31 and will be researching a doctor. She left our prenatal doctor in Redwood City, CA with all her prenatal records in hand. We felt more comfortable that her doctors in Thailand spoke her language, especially if she encounters difficulties during labor. Language is most important. Aside from the cost, how was the experience post-delivery??

We have a Baby Bjorn to take with me to BKK. Also, hauled over our baby carrier, but not sure if I'll take the stroller over. We will travel back to US just 5-6 weeks after birth, so not sure how much use the stroller will be. May be just more to haul around.

At the time of this writing, my wife is now in BKK. I'm in San Francisco and join her on June 16 (still working!). We then hope to deliver on July 12 (or abouts) and return after Aug 20 with doctor's permission. We will likely stay at a serviced apartment next to the hospital (Thai Nakarin Hospital) for easy access. We are very excited! At 50 years old, this is my first and of course hers, too. We both are so excited and overjoyed. We're not rich, but no expense will be spared (but not unncessarily over-indulged) to assure a safe and comfortable birth for mom and baby.

Thanks for all the posts!! Very helpful!!

Well, my Thai wife and I are pregnant. Due in July 2009. We are currently in San Francisco and will travel to Bangkok in May to finish out her trimester there. We think we may give birth at Thai Nakarin Hospital in Bangkok. We have a home in Bangplee, but will likely rent a serviced apartment near the hospital.

We then will return to USA in October (I need to return to work, though we are building a house in Khao Lak).

SO>>>>>>>> :)

We hope you will have advice on what to expect regarding healthcare, prenatal care, what to bring with us that we can't find in Thailand, stroller or NO stroller, infant formula from US...and just about anything you can think of.

We are quite excited (our first baby!) and like all parents, hope for the best.

Please fill this topic with anything that might help...and even just a 'hello' would be great!

Thank you!

John and Roong

Go to Bumrungrad ... its the best hospital in Asia Pacific... have been there and wouldnt go anywhere else, service 100/100, Doctors 200/100, all up best I have ever seen better than anything in Singapore or Australia (I am Australian) .....Good Luck.....

Well, my Thai wife and I are pregnant. Due in July 2009. We are currently in San Francisco and will travel to Bangkok in May to finish out her trimester there. We think we may give birth at Thai Nakarin Hospital in Bangkok. We have a home in Bangplee, but will likely rent a serviced apartment near the hospital.

We then will return to USA in October (I need to return to work, though we are building a house in Khao Lak).

SO>>>>>>>> :)

We hope you will have advice on what to expect regarding healthcare, prenatal care, what to bring with us that we can't find in Thailand, stroller or NO stroller, infant formula from US...and just about anything you can think of.

We are quite excited (our first baby!) and like all parents, hope for the best.

Please fill this topic with anything that might help...and even just a 'hello' would be great!

Thank you!

John and Roong

Go to Bumrungrad ... its the best hospital in Asia Pacific... have been there and wouldnt go anywhere else, service 100/100, Doctors 200/100, all up best I have ever seen better than anything in Singapore or Australia (I am Australian) .....Good Luck.....

I've done lots of research on Bumrungrad, but I'm not convinced that because they have a fancy foyer, tall columns and valet parking that they also have superior bedside healthcare. We're talking about childbirth, not open-heart surgery, afterall, so not sure the expense justifies the means. Many of the doctors that practice in Bum also work in other hospitals. Therefore we are more likely to judge the prenatal and birthing care by the doctor's qualifications, not the edifice that supports the bed itself. Where I agree that Bum has offerings unparallel to any other worldwide, I don't agree that its necessarily the best for childbirth. Maxillofacial surgery or laparoscopic surgery, perhaps. Receiving the football and cutting the embilical cord...not. Thanks for the help and hope I never need the expertise that Bum offers. I intend to stay healthy...