Win Xp - Service Pack 2

mussen

Hi all, I recently upgraded my IBM thinkpad, to anew one with XP Pro, I was on the phone to a tech. at IBM who asked me if I had installed service pack 2, I told him I had, and he suggested I reload XP Pro and next time don't install Service Pack 2 as he said it causes more problems than it fixes (networking etc), any other users out there heard of this? Or encountered any problems since installing SP2

I have a Thinkpad with XP Pro and SP2 - no problems whatsoever. In actual fact, I like some of the functionality that SP2 provides not to mention the enhanced security.

Strange advice from IBM - I am not sure why they would suggest that. Is there a problem with your machine that you are looking to fix?

There may be problems with specific configurations of certain hardware and software. Otherwise, SP2 works well in general, and has important security fixes built-in. If your current SP2 installation doesn't exhibit any problems, I suggest you stick with it.

I still hav'nt installed sp2.....not sure if I should after

reading some of the previous threads on this subject :o

HI all

Latest version of SP2, in general you should always use the latest version of any of your software, SP2 did cause some probs when it first came out but if you try and get the latest build of it from the web site, this may help prevent probs, any software you install has the potential to cause serious probs, any, from graphics to sound, as with all things you should always back up your important files anyway, and before any software install, onto cd rom etc, including your mail files etc, if using outlook xp or 2003 there is a neat utilty that adds backup in your outlook and all you do it tell it where to back the pst files to and when and it will do it auto matically, also you can use the archive faciltity to do somthing similar, O and any maker of SW or HW will blame anyone and everyone for any problem, go tot he IBM web site and just look at the probs some users have, this also applys to compaq, and many other makers, XP firewall is just a token one, so try and use zonealarm and Norton AV and set them up properly,have a good day

I ordered the SP2 disk rather than downloading it ( there is an option for this on the update page ) because of the size. I dont have braodband at home.

Installing it from the CD took about 90 minutes or so. Much longer than I had thought it would. And the next time I went to the MS update page, it said the disk had an error and I have to do a download to properly install SP2. Grrrrrrr!!!! :o:D

But apart from XP wanting to be my default everything ( no change there, just more things it wants to be default in! ), havent had any problems.

I have developed a problem with my hotmail account, it seems to stop working at times. Just wondered if this was symptomatic of service pack2. Am using a Toshiba laptop, 512m of ram.

Anyone else seeing this particular quirk?

HI all

HI Hotmail like any other services has some probs and updates to its server so from time to time you will get service interuption, i.e. recent mailbox changes and the like, but for free its pretty good at what it does, but worth sticking with it ? have a good one.

I ordered the SP2 disk rather than downloading it ( there is an option for this on the update page ) because of the size.  I dont have braodband at home.

Installing it from the CD took about 90 minutes or so.  Much longer than I had thought it would.  And the next time I went to the MS update page, it said the disk had an error and I have to do a download to properly install SP2.  Grrrrrrr!!!! :o  :D

But apart from XP wanting to be my default everything ( no change there, just more things it wants to be default in! ), havent had any problems.

Bluffer, how long did the SP2 download from the internet take you? And what sort of internet connection do you have?

a very personal opinion

is that microsoft OS is like shit

and with plenty of hackers on it's tail

use LINUX

it's a breeze to use...

You obviously never tried Redhat 7 :o

More bugs than a Hong Kong mattress......

Seriously, windows is improving, though I agree unix platforms are better, for memory managment if anything.

cv

pbfbsd2.gif

Bluffer, how long did the SP2 download from the internet take you? And what sort of internet connection do you have?

I have dial up so it took about 5 hours or so. The corrective patch for sp2 is about 4.5Mgb. ( dont remember what the SP2 size is ) Fortunately, it does allow you to download in blocks - you dont need to stay connected in one go until its finished. My apartment only allows me to use the phone line for 1 hour at a time.

as a general user and as a Technichal user I really Like SP2

A lot of nice feautures and enhancements, doesnt bother me with P2P software as that all runs on my 24/7 server in the shed :o

However, it does have issues with Adobe Premiere, and the only way to get round it has been for me to have a dual boot system - only use the non sp2 one for video editing, and not that often

K

hi'

I thought once to uninstall sp2, and then reconsider the thing ... did not do it.

I'm rather going to format clean the C drive and reinstall Xp, made a cd with sp2 included, tested and doesn't take this long ...

it's the first time that I reinstall XP in more than 2 years ...

finaly sp2 is not this bad as so many said.

francois

ps: darknight, I also use Linux(Suse 9.2) on another machine (server) ... never get any worry or problem with, it simply works fine with an "old" pIII800 and 512mb ram :o

but I don't think that we can compare M$ and Unix ... 2 worlds :D

I have dial up so it took about 5 hours or so. The corrective patch for sp2 is about 4.5Mgb. ( dont remember what the SP2 size is ) Fortunately, it does allow you to download in blocks - you dont need to stay connected in one go until its finished. My apartment only allows me to use the phone line for 1 hour at a time.

Thanks Bluffer

hi'

I thought once to uninstall sp2, and then reconsider the thing ... did not do it.

I'm rather going to format clean the C drive and reinstall Xp, made a cd with sp2 included, tested and doesn't take this long ...

it's the first time that I reinstall XP in more than 2 years ...

finaly sp2 is not this bad as so many said.

francois

ps: darknight, I also use Linux(Suse 9.2) on another machine (server) ... never get any worry or problem with, it simply works fine with an "old" pIII800 and 512mb ram :D

but I don't think that we can compare M$ and Unix ... 2 worlds :D

I know it works ok :o , but as you said two differnet worlds. But hey if i lookup from my desk here at the bank i stare right at the unix system department :D

I'm in the windows system department though :D.

See wen can coexist together :D

Only hate it that they have the dns running on QIP on unix here. Gives a he-ll lot of problems with Active directory sometimes :D

Greetings from Belgium :D