Finding Your Way Around Chiang Mai And Its Suburbs

PeaceBlondie

I had no idea that only us North Americans knew how to use a map and compass.

Ha ha lol :D If folks walked around with maps and compases in their back pockets, then no one would get lost and no one would need to ask for directions. Would they? :o

The point of this thread is about finding ones way around and familiarising themselves with an old city that's not built in neat rows and blocks. A city which doesn't have North, South, East, and bloody West on every street sign. Chiang Mai is in the North of Thailand, and Phuket is in the South. That's fair enough and a logical generalisation of the geographical location of a region.

However, should you want to know how to get to Noi's Noodles from where you're standing, then a simple, 'Walk straight ahead for about 500M, and turn left at the post office. Noi's Noodles is the fourth shop up the soi on your left side. Can't miss it, it's right next to Oil Rig!

Obviously verbal reference to compass points is not helping folks with directions or helping them to become familiar with the city, so perhaps it's time to try something new and think outside of the United States urban infrastructure!

Aitch

I used to just drive round and round and round the moat looking (its a square so usually only 4 corners ) for the Easy Corner Bar and then turn left.

Following that (if not staying) a quick right turn passed Pantip-Anusan -Lucys tiger Den ...new hotels etc..and it straight onto the 1317 and 45 kms later turn right into the mountains and home.

Dont need a tom tom..... :o

Ha ha lol :D If folks walked around with maps and compases in their back pockets, then no one would get lost and no one would need to ask for directions. Would they? :o

The point of this thread is about finding ones way around and familiarising themselves with an old city that's not built in neat rows and blocks. A city which doesn't have North, South, East, and bloody West on every street sign. Chiang Mai is in the North of Thailand, and Phuket is in the South. That's fair enough and a logical generalisation of the geographical location of a region.

However, should you want to know how to get to Noi's Noodles from where you're standing, then a simple, 'Walk straight ahead for about 500M, and turn left at the post office. Noi's Noodles is the fourth shop up the soi on your left side. Can't miss it, it's right next to Oil Rig!

Obviously verbal reference to compass points is not helping folks with directions or helping them to become familiar with the city, so perhaps it's time to try something new and think outside of the United States urban infrastructure!

Aitch

Maybe that's why people from England have such trouble finding a dentist to keep those pesky enamel bits from falling out. Seriously who cares? You want to standardize direction giving for expats? If someone asks me how to get somewhere and I tell them using whatever scheme and they still look confused then I try another scheme or other way to help them. Sometimes N.S.E.W is the best way and other times landmarks are best. if someone becomes lost its not like they fall off the edge of the earth never to be found again. Oh sweet baby jesus I can't find Nakon Joe's hidden soi noodle shop. I am going to starve in CM. Ohhh Noooooooo......

The "Big Map" is from Hobo Maps. It's a must-have for everyone I know. Get the big one, the small one, and a 30 baht compass and go in peace.

I bought mine at Suriwong bookstore.

Now , let's see ; Is that N,S,E,or W of Noi's Noodles? Don't bother. Just kidding. I do know where it is. Others may not. Its about 300 metres along SRIDORNCHAI ( on the Right) which is the road leaving the SE Corner of the moat, heading East.

I wonder if they stock, Oliver Hargreaves, "Exploring Chiang Mai"? recommended by Nancy Chandler, for those wishing to get "out of town for a day or two into the refreshing countryside."

Ha ha lol :D If folks walked around with maps and compases in their back pockets, then no one would get lost and no one would need to ask for directions. Would they? :D

Aitch

Maybe that's why people from England have such trouble finding a dentist to keep those pesky enamel bits from falling out. Seriously who cares? You want to standardize direction giving for expats? If someone asks me how to get somewhere and I tell them using whatever scheme and they still look confused then I try another scheme or other way to help them. Sometimes N.S.E.W is the best way and other times landmarks are best. if someone becomes lost its not like they fall off the edge of the earth never to be found again. Oh sweet baby jesus I can't find Nakon Joe's hidden soi noodle shop. I am going to starve in CM. Ohhh Noooooooo......

Good one. :o:D:D

I think the way you give directions depends an awful lot on the context. If someone stops me on the street, I'll point and use visible landmarks over cardinal directions any day (never used blocks much anyway). But on an internet forum it's different. Also north, south etc. are obviously no good for a warren of winding sois, but is it so bad to use them when referring to a major road that travels only in a straight line?

Anyway, here's a hint for those of you who run into compass-minded Americans on the street in Chiang Mai: The main gates of Buddhist temples and the doors to the viharn face to the east.

That is not always correct (the main gates of Buddhist temples facing east)

The main gates of Wat Chai Mong Khon for example face west.

The main gates of Wat Haripunchai (Lamphun) face more to the south and the north.

So you cannot use the gates of a temple as an accurate reference :D

Thanks for pointing out my error. Doi Suthep is another where the gates don't face east. I should probably have only mentioned that the viharn and main Buddha image inside almost always face east. Though I can think of exceptions to this rule as well, it generally holds true that you can get your bearings at a temple, and in more ways than one. :o

For us that come from the cities along the Front Range of beautiful Colorado we could always boast that we never got lost. You see if you have never been to the Front Range in Colorado it is an area of many cities that sit directly against the eastern beginning of the Rocky Mountains. So the mountain range is essentially your compass friend. If you are driving where you are heading into the mountains you are going west. Likewise if you are driving away from the mountains you are heading east. Same as when the mountains are on your right (South) and your left (North).

Living in Colorado for over 30 years I only got lost one time and it was at night time during a blizzard where there was a detour in an unfamiliar part of town. I lost sight of the mountains due to the torrential snowstorm and had no bearing where I was. This is unlike CM as I a get lost almost every time I drive away from the main roads. :o

A new edition of Oliver Hargreave's, "Exploring Chiang Mai" should be coming out pretty soon, so wait and don't waste your money on what will soon be an old edition.

Before I read this message I had already been to Gecko books and Suriwong Booksore but thankfully neither had it in stock. Gecko merely said they didn't have it. Suriwong took the trouble to look it up and told me about the New Editon being prepared.

I had also bought the Map : GT-Rider, "GOLDEN TRIANGLE -THE LOOP" from Gecko for 250baht. I was surprised to find Suriwong selling it for 150baht. Gecko's housed in a shed and Suriwong is more like An English Public Library. So, you know where to buy your Maps.

Sorry, but Gecko Books sells a plastic edition of GT-Rider, "GOLDEN TRIANGLE MAP -THE LOOP for 250 baht and a paper edition for 150 baht just like Suriwong Books does. It is up to the customer which one they choose.

It would be nice if people who feel compelled to give "helpful" advice on the internet - while disparaging someone else’s livelihood - actually knew what they were talking about. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

"I'm lucky enough to have a sense of direction even a homing pigeon would kill for but while on the subject of directions, why is it that Americans in particular assume that we all know which way north is?"

Sense of direction of a homing pigeon or a Homing Chicken ? - best avatar yet Greenside. So, you know, they've done psychology experiments blindfolding people and spinning them in circles, then asking them to face North, and people almost always can do this. It's deep inside our brain somewhere, you just need to get in touch with it. Use the force Greenside.

Oddly, in Thai the people don't really speak of things as 'inside the moat' or 'outside the moat' as we do. to me that piece of info is indispensable for navigating around. It will help to learn the corner names for the moat too, if you're up to it. Many Thais refer to these as locators.

They will refer to the Super Highway as 'Super' or 'Om Meuang,' and the bottom part near Airport Plaza as 'Mahidon.' The 1st Ring Road they call the 'Inner Ring Road' (Wong Nai) and the 2nd Ring Road they call the 'Outer Ring Road' (Wong Nok), but there are even a couple versions of how to say this.

And yeah, I get lost too. Never think you're gonna find a new place easily, and plan to leave early for plenty of extra 'searching' time.

Could someone tell me if the "Big Map" goes out further than Mahidol Rd.

I havnt found a map that does with a reasonable amount of detail.

The Big Map goes as far North as Mae Jo University and South to Highway 121 (ring road 2) - that's two rings further out than Mahidol Road. Inside the moat it's the only one that as far as I know shows all the sois with their numbers, even in that ultra confusing corner where Moonmuang turns into Sripoom Road (that's the North-East corner for those of you from West of Shannon). Given the fast turnover of businesses here, it needs a bit of updating on that score but get it anyway then maybe they'll print a new version. :o

Greensie, what a chicken! :D

The big map goes beyond the outer ring road, nearly to Doi Sahket.

Y'all's comments about the superior ability of Americans is duly noted, and your confessions of confusions noted as well. I have now reverted to European landmarks (turn left at the Teutonic castle with the drawbridge) and adopted proper distances (two leagues beyond the moor). :o

Greensie, what a chicken! :D

The big map goes beyond the outer ring road, nearly to Doi Sahket.

Y'all's comments about the superior ability of Americans is duly noted, and your confessions of confusions noted as well. I have now reverted to European landmarks (turn left at the Teutonic castle with the drawbridge) and adopted proper distances (two leagues beyond the moor). :o

Typical American vague response, what definition of Moor do you refer too?

Moor may refer to:

Moors, people of North Africa and Al-Andalus

Moorland, a type of habitat

Moor Copse, a nature reserve near Tidmarsh

Mooring (watercraft), securely holding a boat to a riverbank, pier or towpath, or a device used for that purpose

Mór, Hungary

Black Moor, a breed of goldfish

Sri Lankan Moor, a minority ethnic group of Sri Lanka

Sorry, but Gecko Books sells a plastic edition of GT-Rider, "GOLDEN TRIANGLE MAP -THE LOOP for 250 baht and a paper edition for 150 baht just like Suriwong Books does. It is up to the customer which one they choose.

It would be nice if people who feel compelled to give "helpful" advice on the internet - while disparaging someone else’s livelihood - actually knew what they were talking about.

Point Taken.

I hope I can recommend, "Andrews Liver Salts" for those suffering from billious problems, without tresspassing on anyone's fragile sensibilities.