Thai Language Course

coalminer

Hi,

I have been looking around for a school in N. Ratchasima where a foreigner can learn the Thai language.

There are a few "private school's" were a foreigner can get a "steam course" in the Thai language.

But almost all of these "private school's" are pretty expensive and the course is nothing else than a copy of books which anybody can buy in a bookshop.

No way to continue and make progress after their course.

Real Thai classes like a Thai kid learns in school are not available to foreigners unless they want to travel every day to Bangkok or Pattaya.

The school where my daughter is learning, one of the best in N. Ratchasima, is willing to organize a Thai course for foreigners if there would be enough people willing to enroll in a professional course to learn the Thai language.

The teacher(s) would be all Thai with an acceptable knowledge of English.

The course will be at least 1 year at a ratio of 1 hour a day, but will be finally planned if there is enough demand.

For foreigners who are planning to get a the Thai residence, this is a one of a lifetime opportunity to get skilled in the Thai language. Writing, speaking and reading.

In order to get this project of the ground, I will need to present to the school the names of foreigners who are interested in following this course.

Therefore, I would like to ask the foreigners and ThaiVisa members who are willing to enroll in this project to write their name and post it in this thread or PM me personally.

Regards

Hi,

I have been looking around for a school in N. Ratchasima where a foreigner can learn the Thai language.

There are a few "private school's" were a foreigner can get a "steam course" in the Thai language.

But almost all of these "private school's" are pretty expensive and the course is nothing else than a copy of books which anybody can buy in a bookshop.

No way to continue and make progress after their course.

Real Thai classes like a Thai kid learns in school are not available to foreigners unless they want to travel every day to Bangkok or Pattaya.

The school where my daughter is learning, one of the best in N. Ratchasima, is willing to organize a Thai course for foreigners if there would be enough people willing to enroll in a professional course to learn the Thai language.

The course will be at least 1 year at a ratio of 1 hour a day, but will be finally planned if there is enough demand.

For foreigners who are planning to get a the Thai residence, this is a one of a lifetime opportunity to get skilled in the Thai language. Writing, speaking and reading.

In order to get this project of the ground, I will need to present to the school the names of foreigners who are interested in following this course.

Therefore, I would like to ask the foreigners and ThaiVisa members who are willing to enroll in this project to write their name and post it in this thread or PM me personally.

Regards

I would be interested, very much.

But, so sorry, I live in Khon Kaen.

And that is a wee bit far away.

Edited by hansnl

Hi,

Regards

Hi, I could be interested but in my opinion (humble) 1 hour a day for a year is hardly sufficient to obtain a level of proficiency required for the PR Visa. I'm not trying to hose down your idea, it has merit but I,m sure there would be more of a response if people knew in advance what they are commiting to, ie: how much ? I am trying to do the same thing, that is; get to such a level that I can apply for a PR Visa. The hardest part is finding people at the same level as you ! I have previously looked/studied at Universitys and schools as far away as Udon and Khon Kaen. Uni @ K.K. conducts such a course but with accomodation it is over 50,000 baht per month ! AUA in Udon does 5 week courses in reading and writing Thai, but only at Basic and Lower Intermediate levels. At your Korat school what minimum size class do they require to start the course ? four pax ? Please keep us informed of any progress.

Hi, I could be interested but in my opinion (humble) 1 hour a day for a year is hardly sufficient to obtain a level of proficiency required for the PR Visa. I'm not trying to hose down your idea, it has merit but I,m sure there would be more of a response if people knew in advance what they are commiting to, ie: how much ? I am trying to do the same thing, that is; get to such a level that I can apply for a PR Visa. The hardest part is finding people at the same level as you ! I have previously looked/studied at Universitys and schools as far away as Udon and Khon Kaen. Uni @ K.K. conducts such a course but with accomodation it is over 50,000 baht per month ! AUA in Udon does 5 week courses in reading and writing Thai, but only at Basic and Lower Intermediate levels. At your Korat school what minimum size class do they require to start the course ? four pax ? Please keep us informed of any progress.

The main idea is to setup an official school where foreigners can learn the Thai language in Khorat.

From here, the school can improve the plan and eventually expand it according to the needs.

Foreigners who are interested in following this course and PM their name are NOT COMMITING to anything.

Details about how much hours per day, what is the cost per month/year, etc. can only be giving when the school knows how many people wish to enroll and what level of Thai they have already.

But I can already assure you and others that it will be far less than 50,000 Baht a month.

AUA Khorat hold at The Mall a few years ago such a study to see if they could start a Thai course at their offices, but the idea never came off the ground.

As an example, the teacher who would be interested in this project is at this moment teaching students in "high speed reading (1500 words per minute)" at the ratio of 1 hour per week and 1,000 Baht per month.

It's a pitty to see that there is almost no interest of people to learn Thai at a professional level in Khorat.

coalminer, you can put my name on the list. I reside in the Land & House complex near the Zoo, and have been looking for a local class to learn Thai for some time. I hope your project is successful.

Hi duckkorat,

I have noted your name on the list.

Thanks.

Unfortunatly, you are the first one who is willing to help me to setup classes in learning to write/read/speak Thai in a regular school.

I doubt that setting up a school in Khorat to learn Thai would be succesful, judging the responses I received until now.

Maybe I could get some more responses if I would setup a stand n The Mall in the same way as other members did when Immigration was closing, but I came to the conclusion that it's not worth the trouble.

I would be very interested but I would need to start at grass roots level and you keep mentioning learning at a professional level, so I assume that you already have a grasp of the language. How would that work in your proposed class? (not trying to shoot you down but seriously interested)

HL :o