20 Sleeping Tourists Robbed

sriracha john

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was being entirely and blatantly sarcastic because some guy was saying that the people got what they deserved due to the fact that they didn't take every single possible precaution beforehand.

No I wasn't!!! Had those tourists been carrying firearms, they could have protected themselves. Even if only 1/2 of them had handguns, this wouldn't have happened.

Instead, they chose to be victims. Off with their heads!

Whereas perhaps if it was written like:

'And I suppose you agree that all women who wear skirts are deserving to be raped?' Then I would have understood the thinking more logical rather than starting out 'yes' as if being in agreement to the previous poster.... (I'll try better the next time to 'read between the written words')...again, sorry...

I'm not sure writing it that way would've been nearly as entertaining for me.

Nor would as many people have jumped in to help me demonstrate just how idiotic the original statement was.

Edited by ajc1970

Thai tour bus staff robs foreign passengers and leaves them

Twenty foreign tourists were abandoned in a tour bus on a roadside after being robbed by the staff, police said Tuesday.

Police found the tourists at 6 am Monday sitting in a driverless bus on the side of the Asian Highway in Ayutthaya province, 90 kilometres north of Bangkok.

The tourists said they had forced the driver to pull over after finding their cash and belongings had been stolen by the bus's three male staff while some of the passengers slept on the overnight bus from the northern city of Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

'They wanted to check the pockets of the staff, but the driver and boys just fled the scene, leaving the tourists in the abandoned bus,' Senior Sergeant Apichart Phuanganthong said.

Three of the 20 tourists - who were mostly from France, Israel and the United States - said they had lost cash amounting to 100,000 baht (2,907 dollars) along with valuables that included cameras, laptops and iPods.

The tour operator agreed to compensate the passengers for half the stolen cash, Apichart said.

Source: DPA - 25 November 2008

"Twenty foreign tourists were robbed in their sleep on a bus and awoke to find they had been left in the middle of nowhere in Bang Pa-in district early yesterday morning".

A person can not be robbed while sleeping. For the act of robbery to take place, the victums has to be aware of it happening with some fear. There are no fear when they all are sleeping!

This crime is another one of those theft by some of the bad elements of Thailand.

I rather not have it happen to me but I prefer this kind of crime anyday then getting robbed with force, intimidation or violence like in my country in the USA.

I suppose many tourists from other countries also bitched about getting robbed and assaulted when they come to visit my country in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Florida.

I have nothing to bitch about while traveling to Thailand because I still feel safer there then in many other countries, except Japan. The crime rate in Japan supposely very low in the world.

Edited by tonyrx7

This story makes me sick... :o

And the sickest part is that the POLICE do nothing to stop these BANDITS.

Probably cos they are in on the deal.

Thats because compared to the police these guys are small fry. One day there will be an investigation inot the biggest criminal group in Thailand, the guys in brown shirts who fleece every main street business on a regimented and monthly basis. Friend of mine on top of the usual monthly stipend was told to 'donate' towards a booze party for a departing high ranking officer the other day. These small time crims will continue robbing farangs while they have such great role models sitting in police stations.

People get stuff stolen out of their bags in the storage compartment on the overnight buses out of Khao San road on a regular basis. I would say I have heard stories from victims for the 20 years that I have lived here. First time I've heard of the bus being abandoned on the side of the road, however.

How is it that the Bus's owner Sirada Boonme, 26 refuses to provide the names of the 4 thieves in her employ..Shouldn't she be arrested for hindering a police investigation?

Giving the names of Thai offenders to the police because of a robbery of only farang would be a enormous loss of face!

Im just waiting for all the thai defenders coming over the hill shouting " oh this can happen in the USA UK etc blah blah blah ! :o:D

good point, and we know it does... just hate to see it happen when i see my thai friend not making much money from tourists these days

This does not happen in the UK, and if the Thai's involved in tourism did more to protect the tourists rather then constantly shield their Thai criminal associates then perhaps your Thai friend would be making more money than he/she currently is.

stories like this disgust me.

ditto, this kind of story gets attention and adversely affects tourism

And so it shoud. I expect to see this type of thing increasing here and everywhere as world economic conditions continue to deteriorate. It doesn't sound like the authorities are investigating too aggressively either which should also be disturbing to tourists and encouraging to would-be criminals.

A few years ago, my street-smart, savyy Thai wife was a passenger on a public (government) highway bus traveling between Nan and Bangkok. When she arrived at Morchit early in the morning, she was shocked to find that her expensive bracelet had been removed from her wrist without her awareness She vaguely recalled that someone waved something in her face late at night during the journey. Most likely a sleeping gas mist. Luckily, our US-bought theft coverage reimbursed us for the bracelet--worth about US$2,000 (it was not a Thai baht bracelet). I had taken the care to have the item appraised in the USA and we had full replacement coverage.

The incident shows that it is not only foreigners who are targeted on buses and it is not always the bus crew perpertuating the crime. It can certainly be done by nefarious fellow passengers...their cheap fare is nothing compared to the potential riches they can derive. Tell your overseas friends who plan to travel here and take budget forms of transportation to obtain good insurance coverage before they depart their homeland. And to remove all valuables from stowed luggage and to secure it or seclude on their bodies in some way that cannot be violated. I concur that taking the bus is the last form of public transport I would ever recommend. There are simply too many sad tales such as cited on this thread and in previous posts.

This particular happenstance is not an overall condemnation of the LOS but is a reflection that crime will occur whenever and wherever the means, motive and opportunity are present to create the conditions for it to occur. It is however, a poor reflection on Thai National Police and the weak or nonexistent vetting of bus crews. Shame on them and shame on the TAT for failing to take effective preventive measures.

"Twenty foreign tourists were robbed in their sleep on a bus and awoke to find they had been left in the middle of nowhere in Bang Pa-in district early yesterday morning".

A person can not be robbed while sleeping. For the act of robbery to take place, the victums has to be aware of it happening with some fear. There are no fear when they all are sleeping!

This crime is another one of those theft by some of the bad elements of Thailand.

I rather not have it happen to me but I prefer this kind of crime anyday then getting robbed with force, intimidation or violence like in my country in the USA.

I suppose many tourists from other countries also bitched about getting robbed and assaulted when they come to visit my country in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Florida.

I have nothing to bitch about while traveling to Thailand because I still feel safer there then in many other countries, except Japan. The crime rate in Japan supposely very low in the world.

????? What is then?

Also, if you put your laptop, game, wallet, etc under the bus or ANYWHERE where you can't feel it being taken from you, well then you deserve what happens to you. Travel safe and use common sense.

Well supposing those were your elderly parents on the bus. Do you still think they should be robbed? Have you ever seen some of these older tourists? Do you realize how unpleasant it is to have people bringing all their bags on board?

The owner os the company (the father) might be one of the four men! So they drugged the tourists, but the police is refusing to figure that out because it would be a even greater embarrassment to Thailand, they get compensated for half, which her father will do and the money transfer will never arrive.

part of comment deleted - mig16

20 sleeping tourists robbed

//Snip// After hours of negotiations with the tourists, she agreed to pay compensation of half the amount that had been stolen in cash and the rest by bank transfer. She refused to give any details about the bus staff. Police suspected Sirada's father might be one of

so they got away with half?

how did not one person wake?

No, she has agreed full compensation, but they still have escaped any kind of prosecution by the sounds of it.

All the tourist knew none of them were with gun and maybe the Thai's did have one, your in the bush, you play sleep or maybe you get clubbed, stabbed, or shot, count your blessings and move on, you need to know when to hold them and when to fold them

:o This isn’t the first time the "Baggage Ninjas" made a strike on a Tour Bus, though a little more brazen than usual. :D

Though without the cloak of masks and waiting only for their unknowing victims to fall asleep could they have masterminded such devious behavior. :D

In my own experience, the Suratthani “Don Sak Pier to “Thong Yang Pier” bus ride operated by Songserm Tours (I think they are the longest operating “fly by night operator on Samui”) who have an office across the street from the Nathon Pier constantly have problems with the where boys between the ages of 9-15 crawl into the luggage/cargo hold of the bus and rifles through the bags.

They have a regular little “mafia operation”. Most Passengers don’t recognize they have a problem until

They have already gone onto the ferry or checked into their room.

I actually watched from my coach window the boy coming out of the bottom cargo hold with a lossely filled bag (probably small items like money, jewelry, gameboys, ipods etc. while passengers were getting off in the confusion.

It took the police 15 minutes to get there for my report, and I never saw my items again. Tourist Police also say sometimes the boys will get off at a previous stop to avoid all detection by passengers.

Also “conveniently”, before you can quickly get off of the bus/coach “taxi” drivers and “accommodation touts” board the bus while you are still in your seat. This may be part of a planned diversion to the overall “slight of hand” in your bag fleecing.

The “tour guides” on the bus and possibly even the driver may be fully aware of the situation.

I refuse to use the “Don Sak Pier to “Thong Yang Pier” service and will only use the “Don Sak Pier to “Nathon Pier” since you can carry your bags with you on the ship (which has its own issues) and the bus goes onto the ferry with you.

Best thing is to keep money, traveler checks, passport, etc. on your person and carry separately anything of value in your day pack.

Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world. Even during coup attempts, Thailand is safer than most places including America, UK and Australia’s “safer” cities by percentage.

However, like every highly touristic area in the world, petty crime, pickpockets and con artists congregate in concentration in areas where people foreign to the area are unlikely and unwilling to do more than file a police report.

The thieves have no racist view since even Thai tourists are victims and stolen from on these farang tour buses.

The upside is the Thai Police and the Thai Government frown upon ANY crime against tourism the nation’s No. 1 industry. Thieves caught and convicted go to jails and prisons for extended periods of time, and any anyone caught of robbery in Thailand spend their time in prison with leg irons and chains similar to those used on slave ships for the WHOLE duration of the prison term.

-Try not to look like the most ‘lost’ tourist on location. Thieves, Touts and Con-men can smell the fear. 

-Be mindful of your possessions

-Keep “priority” possessions with you at all times.

-Rule of thumb is if you can’t afford to lose it on your trip… keep it secure on you or DON’T BRING IT!

-Put things in perspective… if the items are of small value and can be replaced.. consider the mishap as part of your “Adventure” and not let it eat at the rest of your holiday.

When these things do happen to me and they are not big items I think that I probably would have given these items as a gift “if asked” for them, and leave it at that thinking they took it before they could ask me. Otherwise you spend the next week feeling victimized and defiled. It is worth it for the $20 “Street value” of the item? I guess sometimes it pays to have Travel Insurance huh?!

Everything in this life is impermanent. Don’t get caught up in the past. Live for today and be mindfully and carefully aware of your actions and surroundings at all times.

Chok Dee

so compensation, and that's it ???

Well, that the harsh punishment ....sure they won't do it again

when the criminals find out that crime pays with minimal repercussions this could be popular like robbing trains was a century ago

"Mini" Somali pirates-no fear of punishment/justice.

Im just waiting for all the thai defenders coming over the hill shouting " oh this can happen in the USA UK etc blah blah blah ! :o:D

In Canada they just take your head and not your luggage...... :D

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

I would prefer to have some of my valuables missing to be honest.....

i love olmsteads account, pure canadiana

..... this could be popular like robbing trains was a century ago

It was, don't worry, specially trains and tourist buses!

Until the cops started to VDO all individuals and have at least one cop on every sleeper train compartment!

This is NOTHING new at all, was rather quiet for some time, maybe an indication of things to come if there is a significant downturn in the economy!

Priceless.

I remember on my first trip to LOS in 1983, travelling on the train, an official showed me a card

warning against taking food or drink from strangers.................

The scam continues to this day. :o

This news exemplifies the strong negative attitude Thai's have for Farangs..............

Those of us who live here will certainly suffer from being the only ones left exposed to these bandits. Possibly being the only prey they will have remaining as the tourists numbers decline more and more each day.

There's always one mentally challenged person on every thread like this, usually more actually. If you honestly think that this crime sums up a negative atttitude that you believe to be held by all Thais then I really would like to know what you are doing here. I can only think you were a failure back home, either romantically, financially or both. I don't mean to be rude but otherwise, why on earth would you live here if that's what you think?

What a load of bullshit

While I do not think some people getting robbed on a bus is a huge deal, I do think the people in question should be properly punished, and I believe if it were brought to the proper polices attention by non-tourists, it probably would.

Another simple solution would be to get a couple people to sit outside the said tourist agency on KSR and boycott these people until the people are brought to justice....although with the rallies in BKK these days, I would suggest watching out for grenades.

In my time in Thailand (around 10 months), I always found the people who ripped you off were the same people who ripped Thai nationals off. They're just shady people. I never lived or booked tours from KSR though, so my experience might have been different than the common tourist.

I'm in vietnam now, and getting ripped off is a daily occurance. <deleted>' frustrating to say the least.

Yes, and women who wear skirts deserve to be raped.

Apparently someone is lacking some brain cells (if having any at all). What a moronic thing to say.....

I agree, what a terrible thing to say!

I was relieved of my camera on the train to Surat Thani two weeks ago and it is not the value of the camera, but the invasion of my privacy. It really suck to have someone take something that does not belong to them. Bad mark on the tourism for Thailand to have this.

If anyone finds out the name of the tour operator company, can they post this and we can all make an effort in closing their operation down by telling all travelers not to use them.

Without reading all the replies:

Sometimes they slip drugs into those free cokes.

Also, if you put your laptop, game, wallet, etc under the bus or ANYWHERE where you can't feel it being taken from you, well then you deserve what happens to you. Travel safe and use common sense.

Nobody deserved what happend to them its not thers so theyshould refrain from stealing it,you turn the world around.