Best Hotel In Nong Khai

charles

The family and I will be spending a night in Nong Khai early next month. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a hotel? I am looking at the "Royal Mekhong" out near the bridge and the "Nong Khai Grand" nearer town. Any ideas which is best?

Any views greatly appreciated.

I'd go for the Grand - it's more central and 'alive'. It has roof top bar/restaurant with good views of Nong Khai. The Royal has views of the river but whenever I'm there it's like a ghost town. One plus for the Royal is that it has a larger swimming pool, although at this time of year you'd be a brave man to take a dip!

Edited by Longsands

• 2 weeks later...
Nongkhai my home. I haven''t been back for 24 years. Man I miss it so much. Is the rice farm still green.? I am going back to Nongkhai next month. Is there a high rate of crime there just like bangkok? What part of Nongkhai should I not go and what part is fun.

From your "go go bar post", I would say don't come back. Stay wherever you aretroll.gif

Always stay at Mutmee.It's great laid-back but efficient accommodation and is a great meeting point for budget travelers. It is the best choice in Nong Khai for getting the scoop on local doings and places to go. Rooms range from quaint garden bungalows and large second-floor rustic suites to smaller, cheap-Charlie cells on the first floor of a larger block. There is even one top standard room at riverside with air-conditioning. The central garden is a great place to relax with a book and enjoy views of the river and Laos beyond. They serve great Thai meals, some of the best in town, and have a good system whereby guests keep track of their own bill and make orders themselves. Mutmee is close to the market, but far enough away for some quiet. It's located at the end of a tranquil lane of two-story wooden homes housing good services like an Internet cafe, a gallery and a good bookstore.

Once ventured to stay in Phon Phisai at Big Snake Guesthouse.After a day there i felt like hanging myself !!Went mad with boredom and it has no restaurant or activities and no local cultural sights of interest.The owner is a sad sullen man which is very odd in the hospitality industry.

Hi Aletta

Stayed at Big Snake Guesthouse once myself and it must be the worst Guesthouse in Nong Khai.It claims to be a Resort on its web-site and yet it is a tiny piece of bare land with a couple of buildings on it and not a lush garden it sight.I got the courage to ask how the owner could call it a resort and he said bluntly "that's what the locals call it" The locals are so poor anything is posh.Phon phisai has to be the dullest place on earth.I like quiet but it has nothing to see or do and you have to trek to get any food from a roadside vendor.The guesthouse has no restaurant.

I would normally stay at Mutmee or the Meeting Place.Mutmee Guesthouse is in my opinion the best guesthouse in Nong Khai for all its facilities and local amenities.

Edited by Diggerbasher

I'll be coming up to Nong Khai next week to do a visa run to Laos.Looking at this forum and others it seems the choices for accommodation for a budget traveller are limited to possibly Mutmee and Sawasdee guesthouses.It sounds as though Nong Khai is mostly a transit point for thiose going to or coming from Laos.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be coming up to Nong Khai next week to do a visa run to Laos.Looking at this forum and others it seems the choices for accommodation for a budget traveller are limited to possibly Mutmee and Sawasdee guesthouses.It sounds as though Nong Khai is mostly a transit point for thiose going to or coming from Laos.

A fairly new place next to the temple opposite "The Danish Baker". New, clean and "cheap". I didn't stay there myself but I have a friend from Korat who did (with his family of wife, two kids and his Dad). He said really, really nice place. 350 Baht. Junthorm Apartment, phone 042460293 (Air, TV, Refrigerator, Electrical Shower).

I live in Nong Khai. Other than the 'big' hotels and the wonderful MutMee there is loads of cheap accommodation about. On the Rim Khong (road along the river) there are rooms from 100b if you're really downmarket or nice clean places around the 300b mark. Just turn up, there's plenty room.

Is Mutmee still run by Julian, the upper middle class Englishman with a fondness for classical music and his Thai wife, a teacher in Nong Khai? I remember several years ago they had a health problem with their young child and Julian took the child to England for treatment. Are they still there?

bannork

• 3 weeks later...

Well took my brother to Laos and he fell in love with the place.He's a stressed out executive in the UK and three days in Laos chilled him right out.The pace of life there is so slow you cannot help but slow down and relax.

On the way spent a night at Mutmee guesthouse.Still a great spot on the river to unwind and watch the sun set even if the garden is not as green as it usually is due to the drought and summer heat.Great company and superb food in the restaurant.