Hdtv Purchase

bkkjames

For the sake of interest, what Full HD model Plasma do you own?

When I was shopping for my HDTV, I couldn't find any plasma's in Bangkok with that resolution. The highest was like 1368 x 1080 or so.

Furthermore, I bet if you compare a Full HD (Full screen) Blue Ray (1920 x 1080) with a 720p you will see a difference.

panasonic th42py800 :o

Yes, agreed, you'll see the difference if you really want to see the difference, but is it really worth sitting down right in front of 2 tv sets staring at them trying to find the difference? :D

Seriously, in my experience, it's not worth spending extra money for full HDs, unless you prefer sitting very close to the tv set, well maybe it's just me. :D

J.C

Ps: I have dozens of Blu-Ray contents and yeah, they look really nice.

I bet you didn't buy the Panasonic in Thailand?

Actuaklly you get better results by NOT sitting very close to the screen. For a 40-42 inch the optimal distance would be 1.5-2 meters.

Just as a follow up - I bought a Samsumg 42in Plasma series 4 (hd ready) for 29,990 from Home Pro Plus at Ploenchit BTS.

As I proceeded to the counter to fill out the paperwork for delivery, the guy goes, sir your home theatre will come later that day. I said ah ok, didn't know i was getting one but free what the heck. Nice DVD with HDMI outputs, decent sound all around and good sub.

Yesterday, two different sets of delivery guys show up and installed everything in the afternoon.

Then around 6pm, I get a call from Home Pro to see if I recieved everything ok and to ensure that I didn't pay anything for delivery.

Compared with other suppliers I had to deal with over the weekend regarding my move to a different residence, this experience with HP from start to finish was as professional as I have seen here in awhile.

Watching the football match last night in my home theatre room was pure joy!

Well done to HP and thanks to everyone who replied for all your HDMI, Component, RCA input . cheers.

Unless you are going to play blue-ray videos, there is no reason.

What about if playing HD torrents - won't these display better on a PC hooked up to a HDTV or HD Monitor ?

Yes, if they're the 720p ones. (over 1GB for regular 50 minute programs).

The other obvious reason to get one is gaming, as Xbox 360 and PS3 both basically require HD.

If you have a receiver capable of HD, True/UBC already Broadcasts 1 channel in HD (1080i). Live Sports on RS100.

So there is a possibility that there will be more within the next decade.

In full 1920x1080 according to my HDTV set top box as shown below and it works perfectly on my LCD TV via hdmi

000847_e2_webifinfo1.jpg

PS: there are others, true has 3 channels in HD

PS: there is also one HD channel on their old OTA service too

Edited by joncl

You are correct, only need to buy a HD if your gonna get HD content which you aint gonna get in thailand but maybe the DVD man might say that his DVD's are HD ha ha ..plus dont ya need a HD DVD player to play HD DVD's???

Thanks mate, I assumed as much. It's kind of funny when a salesperson goes to me "this one HD, much higher quality" and I reply, "You mean we have HD broadcasts now in Thailand, which channel?" and a blank look ensues.

I had a similar sales pitch at a Sony vendor in Bangkok a couple years ago before HD became common. Then we were wondering more about buying a 32,42 or 50 inch screen and I asked the Sony vendor to change the HD DVD disc he was playing to a True UBC broadcast which raised a few worries and I then pointed out that the True UBC picture looked crap on all of his LCD TVs' so I bought the cheapest and smallest for my room size available and we are still happy with it today. Certainly better than the old box top CRT set we have before but hardly worth going all out for the highest res when the support for it in Thailand is so low?