Have You Had Enough Of Bangkok Airways?

Highdiver: (hope you don´t mind but i didn´t want to qoute your whole post in here).

So as consumers of services we are not allowed to think bad about a company that obviously overcharge because they ride on the fact that anybody that want to operate this airport have to charge more than they do, or else their out? This IS monpoly, you are just being strange Hd.

"buy your own land and build your own airport and see how good you can do"????????????

I am an expat on this island and i and many with me are fed up with the fact that tickets so obviosly cost way more bkk-samui, than for instans a flight bkk-phuket or bkk-surath witch is the same distance. And i have the right to think so without open my own airline or airport. Also alot of tourist i meet acknowledged this fact already. And it is hurting tourism. No matter what "facts" you will present.

With your logic we can not critisize anything. "Flooding on the road? Ohh, you know what, go to a desert island and build your own roads and drainage and see how good you do". "cheese more exp in big c than macro? ohh, open your own mall and see how much money you make".

Your argumentation sucks, and also the constant "beg to differ facts" you always present. I dont have to back up anything because i said the whole time that i was speculating. You on the other hand always "been in meetings" and "seen documents" and everything else.

To me it sounds like bs, but the real fact is none of us can possibly know how the highseason will be. But most hotels are expecting tourism to go down this year, not up. So do i. You dont. Dosent matter, we can only guess, nothing more.

Or did you have a lunch with god today who showed you documents in sanscritt (im sure you can read that) wich said how dec,jan,feb will be?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your fact right guys, four planes to Utapao yesterday from samui, more today. My beef is why have they put the price up 30% when fuel has dropped by 70%.

But anyway news just in Bangkok Airways are talking about 5500b all in return from BKK-SAM...that will help tourism on the island for sure!!

Because it is "A" Boutique airline... flying to... "A" Boutique Island...

you cannot pull that sales pitch anymore........time to deliver a product which is value for money....time for action 5500b return with BKK airlines in a start..meter taxis is next and then clean the place up and reduce room rates........only then will samui stand a chance!!

highdiver- do you work for Bangkok Air?....without been disrespectful you seem to have lost touch with reality!!

mattias-I am with you 100% on this, 15,000 hotel rooms and less than 400 people a day arriving with BKK Air 2 weeks ago. now ZERO....Samui simply has to be competitive to survive...

Busybee- The market that Samui now relies on is now all reduced to 'cheap skates'.....if i was a middle income earner from the west then i am sure i would choose a easier accessible ,cheaper,perceivable safer location for my families holiday. Its not rocket science!!

Time will tell.....but i know where my money is....look at Thailand generally....Pattaya will survive because of the sex, Chaing mai will survive because of the International airport,cost and culture. phuket because of the money and again it has a international airport..Bangkok....its OK as it never really has a low season....Samui has competition......and so many reasons to go else where.

Does anybody hear me on this??? I am sorry for been Doom and Gloom but its time to batten down the hatches.

Off to Phuket tomorrow AM.......From what i hear its packed and you cannot get a room......people just can not get home and are staying on!!!

If we are going to have a recession then i would rather be there...will keep you posted...:o

i smell a coup coming on and i hope for Thailand's sake it is quick and without bloodshed.................Somchai....do the honourable thing and quit ...NOW

Edited by snakehips

bring an Easyjet or AirAsia service to Samui --- 99 THB One Way ! , will boast Tourism !

The 2 biggest tourism-killers on koh samui is still Bangkok airways monopoly situation and the crazy Taxi-maffia.

My oppinion

Hear! hear!

Busybee- The market that Samui now relies on is now all reduced to 'cheap skates'.....if i was a middle income earner from the west then i am sure i would choose a easier accessible ,cheaper,perceivable safer location for my families holiday. Its not rocket science!!

so whats your point? i come to dive and money is not an issue, you're the one that opened a restaurant hoping to make money not me!

mattias

Highdiver: (hope you don´t mind but i didn´t want to qoute your whole post in here).

it ok and my replies to you are in blue so its easir to follow trhe debate.

So as consumers of services we are not allowed to think bad about a company that obviously overcharge because they ride on the fact that anybody that want to operate this airport have to charge more than they do, or else their out? This IS monpoly, you are just being strange Hd.

you can criticize, object, and think bad about who ever you feel like. and as a consumer you have a choice. you dont need to use thier services. they are a private company and if you dont like them dont use them.

why do you assume they overcharge?? is it wrong for a company to make profit?

"buy your own land and build your own airport and see how good you can do"????????????

I am an expat on this island and i and many with me are fed up with the fact that tickets so obviosly cost way more bkk-samui, than for instans a flight bkk-phuket or bkk-surath witch is the same distance. And i have the right to think so without open my own airline or airport. Also alot of tourist i meet acknowledged this fact already. And it is hurting tourism. No matter what "facts" you will present.

you have a right to think what you want..however you can not compare a private owned airport with a government subsidized one.

owners of private jests also pay more for landing in samui then the do in Phuket.

when you as an expat came to live on this island you knew that the airport was privately owned and there is no public airport on the island yet you have decided to come and live here.. so why is it BKA fault that you are unhappy. if you have a problem it should be with the governmentrequesting them to build another one. why should BKA as a private business give you or anyone loosing prices?

With your logic we can not criticize anything. "Flooding on the road? Ohh, you know what, go to a desert island and build your own roads and drainage and see how good you do". "cheese more exp in big c than macro? ohh, open your own mall and see how much money you make".

on the contrary.. you are more then welcome to criticize what you want but if you are referring to logic lets apply this to the debate.

if you pay taxes to the government you have every right to request that they put in proper infrastructure and that the roads will be done properly.

however if you don't like a certain business and it may be anything form a small bar to all the way to BKA you are the consumer you are the ones that is paying and you have the choice of using this private business or not.

Your argumentation sucks, and also the constant "beg to differ facts" you always present. I dont have to back up anything because i said the whole time that i was speculating. You on the other hand always "been in meetings" and "seen documents" and everything else.

To me it sounds like bs, but the real fact is none of us can possibly know how the highseason will be. But most hotels are expecting tourism to go down this year, not up. So do i. You dont. Dosent matter, we can only guess, nothing more.

Or did you have a lunch with god today who showed you documents in sanscritt (im sure you can read that) wich said how dec,jan,feb will be?

while you do make some valid point from time to time. it seems your rhetorics are a bit harsh for me.. i try take you seriously and i believe a good debate is contributing to all parties but if you make this a personal issue then its just another bar talk..

Edited by highdiver

highdiver- do you work for Bangkok Air?....without been disrespectful you seem to have lost touch with reality!!

no i don't work for BKA. i just haver respect for those who own and operate a business and end up making money on the contrary to alot of loosers on this island who opened a business with out any knowledge and are now blaming everyone for their losees

mattias-I am with you 100% on this, 15,000 hotel rooms and less than 400 people a day arriving with BKK Air 2 weeks ago. now ZERO....Samui simply has to be competitive to survive...

Totally agree. so who are those idiots that are developing so may hotels?? and why?? and why does BKA or any airline have to fly to samui at loosing rates just so those idiots that built the hotels can make money??

and its rocket science to know that samui in Novemebr, may and June always has lower ocupency and lower rates.. and that middle incomers come at different seasons and are very happy to come here because even with BKA prices and hotel prices Samui is still very very Cheap for westerners.

Time will tell.....but i know where my money is....look at Thailand generally....Pattaya will survive because of the sex, Chaing mai will survive because of the International airport,cost and culture. phuket because of the money and again it has a international airport..Bangkok....its OK as it never really has a low season....Samui has competition......and so many reasons to go else where.

yet the tourist numbers seem to go up and i agree with you that if we wish to attract more tourists then its u to the goverment to make plans for better infer structure and maybe a new airport. it is not BKA responsibility.

Does anybody hear me on this??? I am sorry for been Doom and Gloom but its time to batten down the hatches.

Totally agree the first thing is as already steps been taken is to stop the over development and building of new hotels and resorts and make sure that the ones that exist have a decent opportunity. the government and the ta saban must find and allocate land for an international airport . BKA airport can not sustain more flights and large planes. the next step is to improve inferstructure and enforce laws. once we ge there we have a good chance of competing.

but to go back to the subject of the thread... this is not BKA responsibility. and they are not wrong because thhose hotleiers opened hotles with out checking first how many tourists can actually be bought in in the existing terms.

Off to Phuket tomorrow AM.......From what i hear its packed and you cannot get a room......people just can not get home and are staying on!!!

If we are going to have a recession then i would rather be there...will keep you posted...:o

you are correct.. i spoke today with the CEO of turismo asia who are the largest incoming operator in Thailand. according to him Phuket will have a great season as reservations were made a long time ago and people are not canceling.

according to him the reservations for Samui are also up from last year and they are expecting a very good season for samui begining at mid December.

the only unknown factor is the political one in Bangkok.

i smell a coup coming on and i hope for Thailand's sake it is quick and without bloodshed.................Somchai....do the honourable thing and quit ...NOW

Putting up A4 page after page with redicoulus argumentation is pointless Hd. Everybody know that Bkk air has been taking advantage of their monopol situation for years. Everybody also knows that tourism in fact is hurting by this fact (among other facts). If you want to continue trying to convince people of the opposite your welcome. It´s not working. At least not on me.

Putting up A4 page after page with redicoulus argumentation is pointless Hd. Everybody know that Bkk air has been taking advantage of their monopol situation for years. Everybody also knows that tourism in fact is hurting by this fact (among other facts). If you want to continue trying to convince people of the opposite your welcome. It´s not working. At least not on me.

well then we don't need to agree on everything.. :o

well then we don't need to agree on everything.. :o

I beg to differ....no kidding, agreed! :D

it amzes me how every few months this thread is bought up again and again.

here are some points for your consideration. at least fr those of you who have no idea about the facts.

1. BKA is a private business that has invested its own money in setting up an airport on samui . this is not a public domain or a goverment atourity it is a private business with one intention to make money.... and on the contrary to most airline companies around the globe who are going bankrupt or are going through foreclosure BKA is profiting..

2. BKA has built a new terminal and now has the abitlity to handle more passengers and has also now allowed access to other airlines to fly to Samui however this is limited to the airports ability to handle more planes and flights.

there is an option of allowing the airport to operate in the night time bu the samui locals have reused this as they want to sleep at night. specially those in the ghost road area.... :o BKA would be more then happy to fly around the clock if permitted to.

3. Koh Samui has an increas of more tourists coming in since the new terminal has opened and for those who wish to argue please see the TAT office for statistics as well as the Samui Tourist association. there are more tourist this year then the year before... that is a fact.

4. hotel occupancy has nothing to do with BKA prices .. it has to do with the ability of transporting people via ferry or planes into the island ... this capacity which is the maximum capacity per day is at its maximum already. and the only way to bring in more tourist is to allow more flights and to have more ferries.(measured at peak season)

however the Developers on the island sprung by fictitious tales and greediness are not stopping the development so Samui now has more hotels and more rentals then actual tourist arrivals... the growth rate of the development has super aceeded the growth of tourists... so more hotels and hotels rooms the less potential occupancy in each hotel.

just for the record there are now more then 5000 new hotel rooms in construction... and how do they plan to fill the up????

and why is this BKA fault.??? why are they to blame ???

5. BKA prices and we have shown this before are actually similar and even lower for the same distance flights in Europe and even in the states. an 50-60 minutes flight in a regular airline is about 150-200 USD.

yes there are those Cheap airlines that use low maintenance no service and pack you in like cattle for less.. BKA is not a cheap airline and it operates its own airport and the costs are then in the ticket..

BKA built an airport bought planes trained staff and built an amazing business that is runing and profitable. it is .. not a public service... as such if any of you wieners don't wish to use its services or then you are welcome to use the ferry or if that's to expansive for you you can always swim.

HD I agree totally with you. For better or worse BKA put Samui on the map. But as you say, this thread is constantly brought up ad nauseum with the same old

"something for nothing" brigade demanding unprofitable fares and giveaway access to their competitors.

BKA saw an opportunity and took the risk which has paid off handsomely. Fair play to them. I think that they are probably one of the best airlines in the world particularly with their care for disabled passengers. As usual, it is the vocal minority bleating the most.

As an observation for those wishing to have some fun and generate a bit of Samui Forum hysteria, posting a few comments on any of the following subjects (in addition to BKA) usually does the trick-

Tourist Police

Taxi prices

Power cuts

Second Airport

Lawyers

:D:D

I tend to agree with Highdiver. While Bangkok Airways is pricey, they are a private business, have made massive investments and can charge whatever they feel they can get away with in order to recoup that investment. It's a pretty basic concept. It's no different than a pharmaceutical company asking high prices of poor African nations for AIDS medicane. They are private businesses that has invested billions into drug research and they have every right to earn a profit - not lose money. So the cheap charlies that can't afford the product - whether airline tickets or life-saving drugs - should just learn to live with it (so to speak). I'm sure Highdiver and others agree.

I tend to agree with Highdiver. While Bangkok Airways is pricey, they are a private business, have made massive investments and can charge whatever they feel they can get away with in order to recoup that investment. It's a pretty basic concept. It's no different than a pharmaceutical company asking high prices of poor African nations for AIDS medicane. They are private businesses that has invested billions into drug research and they have every right to earn a profit - not lose money. So the cheap charlies that can't afford the product - whether airline tickets or life-saving drugs - should just learn to live with it (so to speak). I'm sure Highdiver and others agree.

If you can´t afford a product you are a cheap charlie? The poor people in africa that can´t afford their aids medicine is "cheap charlies" and should "just learn how to live with it"? "Learn how to live with the deadly disease you sheap charlie!"

Of all your posts i think this would qualify as the most strange to say the least. :o .

I find it hard to beleive anyone agree on that post.

Edited by mattias33

2. BKA has built a new terminal and now has the abitlity to handle more passengers and has also now allowed access to other airlines to fly to Samui however this is limited to the airports ability to handle more planes and flights.

there is an option of allowing the airport to operate in the night time bu the samui locals have reused this as they want to sleep at night. specially those in the ghost road area.... :o BKA would be more then happy to fly around the clock if permitted to.

HighDiver

Are they still pushing for 24 hour flights ?

Can't see a noise issue myself, your average turbo charged Lady bar sound system cranking out Issan folk music at 3 am Is way more annoying than an ATB take off and landing.

HighDiver

Are they still pushing for 24 hour flights ?

Can't see a noise issue myself, your average turbo charged Lady bar sound system cranking out Issan folk music at 3 am Is way more annoying than an ATB take off and landing.

Not more than 36 flights allowed per day now. But there were appr. 50 flights/day some years ago.

Noise issue: Many complains at major Chaweng hotels already since quiet a time.

Also can somebody tell me whats boutique about walking 1km to the Departure gate and a inedible chicken roll sandwich/ fake orange 'juice'?

Agree with about the long walk, giant golf cart never seems to be around when I fly.

I think they call it Boutique cos of the fish tank in the toilet

Everybody know that Bkk air has been taking advantage of their monopol situation for years. Everybody also knows that tourism in fact is hurting by this fact (among other facts).

Let me bite and jump in a little here.

That's a silly thing to say mattias33 !

WITHOUT the VERY smart idea of Bangkok Airways' Chief Executive Officer Dr Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth in the second half of the 1980's to secretly start buying land in order to create what is now the airport on Samui, there wouldn't have been the kind of tourism YOU are seeing now.

I believe SBK (on Phangan) landed even before there was an airport and a few friends of mine did the same, before the airport opened in 1989.

I was there just after the airport opened.

In those days Samui was paradise and when I first staid on Chaweng it was still a laid back atmosphere in comparison to what it is now.

The challenge and enormous risks Dr. Prasarttong-Osoth took in those days were of a magnitude NOBODY else dared to take.

WITHOUT Bangkok Airways and the good Doctor the island would still have been a low laid back island -hard to reach- and no millions of tourists would ever been there.

Yes, they have/had a monopoly but did you consider the risk money invested and which money have to come back, with interest and hopefully profits ?

IF BKK Airways would have transported their passengers for half price, would you have been happy ?..and would you have been able to host all those passengers, the airline is transporting today ? BTW, when they started there were only very limited planes/day.

NO, so please stop bickering about the airline's high prices and monopoly.

If you would open a bar/restaurant in the jungle, 10 hours walking from the nearest village...YOU can charge what YOU want for a water, a coke.....BECAUSE you have a monopoly. :o

That's the way it works; not your -complaining- way.

LaoPo

Everybody know that Bkk air has been taking advantage of their monopol situation for years. Everybody also knows that tourism in fact is hurting by this fact (among other facts).

Let me bite and jump in a little here.

That's a silly thing to say mattias33 !

WITHOUT the VERY smart idea of Bangkok Airways' Chief Executive Officer Dr Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth in the second half of the 1980's to secretly start buying land in order to create what is now the airport on Samui, there wouldn't have been the kind of tourism YOU are seeing now.

I believe SBK (on Phangan) landed even before there was an airport and a few friends of mine did the same, before the airport opened in 1989.

I was there just after the airport opened.

In those days Samui was paradise and when I first staid on Chaweng it was still a laid back atmosphere in comparison to what it is now.

The challenge and enormous risks Dr. Prasarttong-Osoth took in those days were of a magnitude NOBODY else dared to take.

WITHOUT Bangkok Airways and the good Doctor the island would still have been a low laid back island -hard to reach- and no millions of tourists would ever been there.

Yes, they have/had a monopoly but did you consider the risk money invested and which money have to come back, with interest and hopefully profits ?

IF BKK Airways would have transported their passengers for half price, would you have been happy ?..and would you have been able to host all those passengers, the airline is transporting today ? BTW, when they started there were only very limited planes/day.

NO, so please stop bickering about the airline's high prices and monopoly.

If you would open a bar/restaurant in the jungle, 10 hours walking from the nearest village...YOU can charge what YOU want for a water, a coke.....BECAUSE you have a monopoly. :o

That's the way it works; not your -complaining- way.

LaoPo

You are wrong. TG would have build an airport.

It is unfair to blame BKA for putting up their prices. I am sure those u refered to are the last few seats left where they sell full price.

ALL airline partition their seats. Only limited seats are sold at knock down prices. Lost leader if you like.

The last few seats are sold at full prices. This is not only so that the airline can make money (remember they are not charity), but more importantly, it allows some people to travel on short notice (urgent case) without having to book weeks in advance.

Blame BKA alone is not right. Most seat on airasia, tiger, jetstar etc in & out Chiang Mai & Phuket for the next couple of days are almost sold out. What is left are all every expensive. I've just check the Phuket-KL route which is about the same distance:

HKT-KUL on www.airasia.com

30-Nov FULL

01-Dec 6,115 Baht

02-Dec FULL

03-Dec 6,115 Baht

04-Dec 2,820 3,695 4,740 Baht depending on flights

If you book say 01-Apr, you only pay 1,454 Baht

As for the airport charge, I also feel it is a bit over priced. It is a private airport, and they can charge as much as they want. The govt have been toying the idea of building a public airport for decade. I am sure BKA lobby they not too. But, to be fair, the second airport investment also doesn't make sense, as there is not enough capacity to justify a profitable operation (of the 2nd airport). Hence the second airport never materialised.

Edited by GlenOrd

Bangkok Airways is a very nice airline, I have chosen them in preference to Air Asia on several occasions even though they cost more, (not on the Samui route).

This whole post seems to be like.. Why should a Boutique hotel charge more than the Hostel next door.

Air Asia are OK, I have flown many times with Air Asia, and am certain that I will fly with them many times again. But have been happy to pay more for Bangkok Airways because it is a better experience.

Why does Guinness cost more than Beer Chang - because some people think it is worth it.

No not fed up with BK air at all in fact their new airport is another step in the right direction. After coming to Samui 20 years ago , i trhink i have some weight to my views on how things have changed and moved forward. Most of the positives of the island have been aided by BKA and alas most of the negatives to do with growth. This is because they made Samui acessible. They put their monery where their mouth was and built an airport. They deserve any profit they make . If you dont agree with the prices there are sevral options you can take to get to Bangkok including ferry and minivan, one of our infamous Taxis , the ferry to chumpoon and then a bus or ferry to Donsal and then to surart for air asia flight .

I have a business on Samui and like BKA i believed that Samui would be more high end than say Pataya . I have invested in that end of the market. Property prices are still high , the high class hotels and villas are still up in bookings (including mine) While everyone preaches doom and gloom the facts are Samui is not cheap it stopped being cheap ten years ago hence why KP took off .However this will also be the saviour for Samui while those cheap nasty charter flights will dry up to Phuket as this level of the market will be hit first with global credit crunch. Hong Kong and Singaporee flights continue to arrive on Samui avoiding the dramas in BKK .

I agree with HD stop slagging off a well run business , and get on with doing some decent business yourself , if you are in the lower market for tourism then i suggest you seriously think about changeing either your target market or your location .

As for night flights , We do not want them This is not majjorca ,Ibiza or pattaya guys sorry .Yes we can party yes we have great places to eat , we have some of the best hotels in the world , we dont need to lower our status by taking big charter flights or cheap budget airlines and joining all the other two bit islands that spring up all over the world and then become ruined with mass low rent consumers.

sorry to be harsh but Samui is not cheap anymore and will not become so xx

5. BKA prices and we have shown this before are actually similar and even lower for the same distance flights in Europe and even in the states. an 50-60 minutes flight in a regular airline is about 150-200 USD.

yes there are those Cheap airlines that use low maintenance no service and pack you in like cattle for less.. BKA is not a cheap airline and it operates its own airport and the costs are then in the ticket..

I never for a second beleive that you wouldn´t come back with your "facts". :D .

However, your oppinion about more tourists than ever is not what anybody in the restaurant/hotel/bar busness would agree on. They are all saying the exact opposite. Let´s just wait and see what the highseason brings in, nobody is optimistic but we are all speculating. Even you. Allthough you like to present you speculations as facts, but we all know this already.

Comparing Bangkok airways prices with flights in the states or Europe is pointless. Have absolutely nothing to do with anything. A bag of potatoes cost me 300 baht more in Sweden than in Samui. Where the point in this argumentation? :o .

A year ago i booked a flight from Bangkok to Surathani and it cost me 700 baht. The cheapest option with BA at that time was 2700 baht. It´s the exact same distance. With your argumentation you can get anything to seem right.

No shit, they make money. That comes with having a monopoly. Imo that dosen´t make it right. You go ahead and admire them. I don´t.

High Diver and Mattias

Why not put it to the vote for members ?

I never for a second beleive that you wouldn´t come back with your "facts". :D .

However, your oppinion about more tourists than ever is not what anybody in the restaurant/hotel/bar busness would agree on. They are all saying the exact opposite. Let´s just wait and see what the highseason brings in, nobody is optimistic but we are all speculating. Even you. Allthough you like to present you speculations as facts, but we all know this already.

Comparing Bangkok airways prices with flights in the states or Europe is pointless. Have absolutely nothing to do with anything. A bag of potatoes cost me 300 baht more in Sweden than in Samui. Where the point in this argumentation? :o .

A year ago i booked a flight from Bangkok to Surathani and it cost me 700 baht. The cheapest option with BA at that time was 2700 baht. It´s the exact same distance. With your argumentation you can get anything to seem right.

No shit, they make money. That comes with having a monopoly. Imo that dosen´t make it right. You go ahead and admire them. I don´t.

High Diver and Mattias

Why not put it to the vote for members ?

Why? What difference would it make? It's obvious that there are two opposing views and it would seem that the majority of posts on this latest epic are firmly in favour of BKA. Furthermore, it's not as if there is no competition, as TG operate (when things were normal) twice a day to BKK.