Teaching

ZOVOX

Of course it is, although you'll most likely be doing so illegally as you're supposed to have a work permit even if you do charity/volunteer work here....and as it's hard enough to be legal when you're being paid, don't expect them to get you a WP!

Tons of volunteer work (and not just teaching) here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/outlookwecare/index.html

It's quite possible- I believe I've seen adverts for volunteers to teach at some of the poorer schools, and also to do work with some of the so-called "hill tribes." Technically, you must still have a work permit even for volunteering. That said, I doubt anyone's going to bother to eject you for working for free unless you become a political or social "problem" of some kind in the area or to some powerful person- which is surprisingly easy to do, even unintentionally. Good luck.

"Steven"

I've known of at least a half-dozen farang volunteers who've been booted from Thailand, and not one was ever leveraged out using the WP laws. In the most recent case I know of, Matthew Xxxx, an extremely public and confrontational in-your-face kind of guy who rubbed the authorities (and most others) the wrong way, was simply not allowed to re-enter Thailand when he went to Mai Sai on a visa run. None of these guys had a work permit, and each was effectively booted out by immigration, at the border. Much easier and less paperwork, I'm sure. :o

If you want to volunteer for a Thai school or organization, I feel you'll have nothing to worry about if you're a decent and reasonable person. Don't sweat the WP, I'd say.

Been there done that 3 years ago. apply with a NGO and they will do all the work for you. you need no degree and pay no taxes as your with the NGO. took a total of 2 weeks for my WP to be ready. Yes you need the WP but like they all say, do you want it or not? up to you.

type NGO thailand in google and youll see tuns there.

http://www.modernthailand.com/eng/investme...t.htm#exemption

Exemptions from the Work Permit requirement are granted to persons occupying the following professions:

Members of the diplomatic corps

Members of consular missions

Representatives of member countries and officials of the United Nations and its specialized agencies

Personal servants coming from abroad to work exclusively for persons listed under the above items

Persons who perform duties on missions in the Kingdom under an agreement between the government of Thailand and a foreign government or international organization

Persons who enter the Kingdom for the performance of any duty or mission for the benefit of education, culture, arts, or sports

Persons who are specially permitted by the Government of Thailand to enter and perform any duty or mission in the Kingdom.