Phatcharawat Removed As National Police Chief

george

Urgent: Phatcharawat removed as police chief

BANGKOK: -- Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Phatcharawat Wongsuwan was Friday removed as the national police chief and seconded to an inactive post at the PM's Office.

The government appointed police inspector-general Pol Gen Prateep Tanprasert as caretaker police commissioner-general.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

Shock transfer of police chief

Phatcharawat was urgently transferred in the middle of Suvarnabhumi crisis, renewing doubts about Army chief's future

Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Phatcharawat Wongsuwan was Friday removed as the national police chief and seconded to an inactive post at the PM's Office.

The government appointed police inspector-general Pol Gen Prateep Tanprasert as caretaker police commissioner-general.

Phatcharawat's removal came less then 24 hours after the police were made to lead state of emergency operations to dislodge anti-government protesters from the Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

Inevitably, the removal revived rumours about a military coup, as speculation revolved around whether Army chief Anupong Paochinda would be the next transfer target.

The Army has shown reluctance to be engaged in any drastic action against the PAD, and, according to the state of emergency declaration, the Army's role was very limited in its implementation.

Government spokesman Nattawut Sai-kue, speaking to reporters, confirmed the removal.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30089715

Edited by BangkokBP

Well I know if I were the National Police Chief and my brave leaders in an all but finished government, ordered me, from the safety of Chiang Mai to retake the airport using whatever means I had to, I would probably reply upon the lines of "Up Yours".

I would do this knowing if the operation went smoothly they would take the credit and if it went badly wrong I would take the blame. Doh. :o

Well I know if I were the National Police Chief and my brave leaders in an all but finished government, ordered me, from the safety of Chiang Mai to retake the airport using whatever means I had to, I would probably reply upon the lines of "Up Yours".

I would do this knowing if the operation went smoothly they would take the credit and if it went badly wrong I would take the blame. Doh. :D

Fair comment from a personal perspective. But would you grant that his job description could include evicting protesters from shutting down the country's main airport? Or perhaps in your home country the head of police would drop by and cook them up some nice fish and chips to boost their spirits? :o

I would do this knowing if the operation went smoothly they would take the credit and if it went badly wrong I would take the blame. Doh. :D

Fair comment from a personal perspective. But would you grant that his job description could include evicting protesters from shutting down the country's main airport? Or perhaps in your home country the head of police would drop by and cook them up some nice fish and chips to boost their spirits? :o

Actually in my home country, and I suspect yours as well, my head of police would expect his political bosses to be behind him ready to take the flak when it hits the fan. That is obviously not happening here. And from a personal perspective I would dearly love the protest to end as I and my family are supposed to be flying into LOS next week, something which I now think is unlikely to happen. C'est la vie.

I would do this knowing if the operation went smoothly they would take the credit and if it went badly wrong I would take the blame. Doh. :o

Right on, Roamer.

Fair comment from a personal perspective. But would you grant that his job description could include evicting protesters from shutting down the country's main airport? Or perhaps in your home country the head of police would drop by and cook them up some nice fish and chips to boost their spirits? :D

Actually in my home country, and I suspect yours as well, my head of police would expect his political bosses to be behind him ready to take the flak when it hits the fan. That is obviously not happening here. And from a personal perspective I would dearly love the protest to end as I and my family are supposed to be flying into LOS next week, something which I now think is unlikely to happen. C'est la vie.

I live here with my family and also wish the whole thing would go away. Good we are in agreeance about that. :o

Cant just end can it.

Army cannot coup because nothing to coup in Bangkok.

Government is in Chaing Mai so still government.

Only way out is to arrest PAD.

BTW the guards are there to keep the sheep in! Brother in law went there for 500 baht a day and they threatened to kill him if he left.

He feignhed illnes saying going to DR and they took his card and said they would kill him if he didn't come back.

Cant just end can it.

BTW the guards are there to keep the sheep in! Brother in law went there for 500 baht a day and they threatened to kill him if he left.

He feignhed illnes saying going to DR and they took his card and said they would kill him if he didn't come back.

how much do you get for the lies?

get paid 500 Baht and now hostage?

My staff, my wife and many friend come and go every day nobody get money, all happy there, no hostages who beg for mercy.

It is simply a lie like many others. Maybe brother in law stay with mia noi and use that as excuse??

:

Cant just end can it.

:o:D

With billions of losses in less than 48 hours, I doubt this is simply an 'inconvenience'. The true damage will only reveal itself after this is over, and it will be the Thai people that suffer. They will not have a tiny piece of Democracy more than they had before, but potentially even less. Your Sondhi is just as corrupt as Thaksin and Samak were.

Thailand never has, never had, a choice of true Democracy. They have a choice between a corrupt government that ruins the country, or one that develops it. Whether the government ruins or develops the country, the government will always be corrupt.

Now the plot thickens.....Here are a few FACTS that have not been discussed that affect the whole situation...I have highlighted them.

National police commissioner General Phatcharawat Wongsuwan was transferred to an inactive post yesterday as the government moved to crack down on anti-government protesters and end the airport crisis, amid mounting doubts over the future of Army chief General Anupong Paochinda.

His place has been taken on a caretaker basis by the police inspector-general, General Prateep Tanprasert. Prateep was a senior classmate of deposed prime minister thaksin Shinawatra at the Police Academy.

Phatcharawat became national police commissioner during the Samak Sundaravej government. Known for his anti-Thaksin stand, he was one of the political focuses during the October 7 bloodbath.

He was reportedly left out of the decision-making process when the government decided to use drastic action against PAD protesters when they marched from government House to Parliament.

Phatcharawat joined Anupong and the other armed-forces leaders when they went on television to deplore the deaths and injuries that occurred on October 7. During the TV appearance, Anupong called on Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to "show responsibility" for the day's events.

Police were seen yesterday moving heavily armed officers to block all roads to Suvarnnabhumi Airport.

The Civil Court, meanwhile, rejected the PAD's appeal to continue their occupation of the two airports.

Pro-government groups threatened to crack down on the PAD themselves unless the police cleared their rivals from the airports by last night.

Meanwhile, the Constitution Court yesterday set a Tuesday deadline for its acceptance of closing statements from the three ruling coalition parties - People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya - involved in the party-dissolution case.

The court is expected to rule soon, perhaps as early as Wednesday, to dissolve the parties, automatically ending the Somchai administration.

Looks like on Dec 2 all claims of the PPP being the legitimate government that was elected by the people will end.

Now you see why the rush to change the constitution and get rid of PAD

The few days of inconvenience caused by the protesters is a small price to pay to hopefully end years of corruption in Thai politics

:o:D :D You forgot eliminating hunger, ensuring world peace... and reversing global warming, when they're at it.

As for the few days of inconvenience, maybe to you. For millions of Thais, already living on the edge, it will be a year or even more of severely damaged livelihoods. Pouncing at vital transport infrastructure and shattering tourist's and businessman's confidence in the middle of a global financial crisis... an invading army would have been more merciful.

Edited by MiG16

Thailand never has, never had, a choice of true Democracy. They have a choice between a corrupt government that ruins the country, or one that develops it. Whether the government ruins or develops the country, the government will always be corrupt.

And that's exactly the reason that these people wearing yellow shirts, most women and old people, are sitting in the airport terminal.

They refuse to believe that this country is doomed with corruption and believe in a better world.

PAD is much more than its leaders, PAD is thousands of people and only ones in this country that have the balls to stand up against the government-mafias!

I feel that many Westeners should have more respect and admiration for what's happening here, as their own countries are governed by even bigger criminals and self-serving thiefs (remember Blair, Bush, Berlusconi).

But o no, we are so indoctrinised by the definition of democracy that we are willing to forgive those who are lying and stealing.

I will never forget the US government lying through its teeth about weapons of mass destruction! A lie that killed thousands of people and cost billions of dollars s a result! But he, thats democracy, right? The people voted!

And that's exactly the reason that these people wearing yellow shirts, most women and old people, are sitting in the airport terminal.

They refuse to believe that this country is doomed with corruption and believe in a better world.

PAD is much more than its leaders, PAD is thousands of people and only ones in this country that have the balls to stand up against the government-mafias!

Hate to sound wishy-washy, but I agree with both the above posts. PAD is striving for a better government for Thailand, but the end result will likely (hopefully?) be marginally less corrupt, a bit more responsive to have-nots, and perhaps perform their duties a little less lazily than what Thai's have been accustomed to (with their never-complain / never cause anyone to lose face propensity).

Edited by brahmburgers