Best Way From Melbourne To Bangkok ?

rjk

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this is answered somewhere else.

Can anyone suggest the routes they would take if they needed to get from Melbourne to Bangkok ?

Some ideas I had were to get to Phnom Phen then by road to Bangkok, or KL then road to Bangkok, the latter being dangerous if the Australian Travel Advice is to be relied upon?

Quite simply, I need to get to Bangkok NOW, so does anyone have any ideas ?

cheers

Geez mate she must be HOT. Fly to phuket and then bus it or try to get a flight into the naval base . Jetstar fly direct

lol. I wish, I need to return to work, we run a Printing Machinery Company in BKK and I came home for a week's holiday. I have staff to pay and deals to complete, I wish I had never left now.

Jetstar's first flight to Phuket from Melbourne available is 8th December, so that's not much good. I heard that Air Asia are flying KL to Pattya. But can't seem to find that on the net. :S

Let me know if you find a way rjk.I,m in the same boat,flying from Adelaide to HongKong on Monday ,then to Bangkok on Tuesday, and was also considering Hong Kong to Phnom Phen, then overland to Pattaya, or Hong Kong to Phuket and bussing it. Anyone done the Phnom Phen to Thailand trip?

Geez mate she must be HOT. Fly to phuket and then bus it or try to get a flight into the naval base . Jetstar fly direct

lol. I wish, I need to return to work, we run a Printing Machinery Company in BKK and I came home for a week's holiday. I have staff to pay and deals to complete, I wish I had never left now.

Jetstar's first flight to Phuket from Melbourne available is 8th December, so that's not much good. I heard that Air Asia are flying KL to Pattya. But can't seem to find that on the net. :S

ThaiAirAsia (FD) DON'T fly to Pattaya. You have been misinformed. Most of the FD metal tube are grounded in Swampy. Hence they cannot do XXX-Pattaya even if they wanted to.

MalaysiaAirAsia (AK) still do KUL-Phuket, KUL-Krabi, KUL-Chiang Mai. But you have to pay 600+ MYR one-way, and seats are limited. AK KUL-BKK, Penang-BKK, Johore Bahri-BKK are all cancelled.

If you have a ticket with AirAsia, and your flight is cancelled, they will try to rebook you on another day, or full refund. Just give them a call. You may be put on-hold for an hour becuase they are not staff to handle this SHlT.

Let me know if you find a way rjk.I,m in the same boat,flying from Adelaide to HongKong on Monday ,then to Bangkok on Tuesday, and was also considering Hong Kong to Phnom Phen, then overland to Pattaya, or Hong Kong to Phuket and bussing it. Anyone done the Phnom Phen to Thailand trip?

I did Phnom Phen to Bangkok in 2006 by bus. The trip was about 12 hours from memory. Big old bus to Poipet then minibus to bangkok. Wasn't that bad a trip, trouble is that with border tension it's not guaranteed how easy it will be to cross borders from Cambodia to Thailand on any given day and the mood of border posts on either side.

I doub't I would do the Hong Kong thing, would probably prefer KL then land to BKK however the border issues on the Thai/Malay border worry me with the terrorist warnings and random acts of violence. see http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

Fly into KL and take a train from there to BKK. Good luck in getting back.

Getting back out of Bangkok isn't a major concern for me as I live in Dindeang. So I can stay without worry.. maybe I might miss Christmas at home in Melbourne but the business is more important to us in Thailand than me missing one Xmas at home

I would assume that all the air-flights directly to any of the international gateway airports are already full. However, some of the lesser known ones may be available...Bangkok Air has flights from many Asian cities to its airport on Samui (check website for cities) and from there it's only a hop-skip-and a jump to Bangkok. The various low-cost carriers have flights from Aus direct or from SNG/KUL to Phuket, Krabi, and maybe Hat Yai.

Probably the best bet is to get to SNG, or better yet KUL or Penang, and then bus or train it to Bangkok. From Penang, it would probably be about a days travel. Private/shared car/van hires would be available from KUL/Penang too.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Ok guys and gals, I have found a solution.

Fly MEL - KL on Air Asia Monday Night (Tuesday 2am)

Fly KL - Phuket on Air Asia Tuesday departing 12.45pm arriving 1.30pm Phuket.

Then the challenge will be Phuket to Bangkok..

I have read of others getting taxis or busses, any idea on which is best ?

I wonder how much a taxi to Bangkok from Phuket would be ?

It's about a 10-12 hour drive from Phuket to Bangkok. I once had to take a taxi from Chiang Mai to Bangkok (about same distance) and it cost me B 6000. A "fair" price would probably be about the same...but having you over a barrel and all, maybe a bit more. Also, re the buses, I am sure the authorities will be laying on more of them to meet demand.

There is also the option of the train.

or you could take the train from KL to BKK and relax

or you could take the train from KL to BKK and relax

That is what I would do but I would also consider Bangkok Airways Phuket to U-Tapao (Pattaya) and taxi to Bangkok (or get picked up). Quicker than driving from Phuket to Bangkok.

Get in touch with Malaysian air, KL to U Tapao (Pattaya) one way $357 Us dollars

It looks like for the moment, the AirAsia flight to U-Tapao is an emergency airlift and stranded passengers will be prioritised for departures from Thailand. However, if the plane is coming in from KL, I would imagine it would be with a pretty low passenger load.

Where did you see that fare and that route SPECIFICALLY posted?