Superstitions And Old(young Wife Tales.

TizMe

a few of my wife's oddities:

can't use scissors whilst pregnant for fear of the baby having a hare lip (he did'nt, but i swear if he carries on like the little bratt he is he'll get a fat lip!)

no sex during chinese vegitarian week (don't ask)

no cold water during wrong week

i guess i'll think of some more....

oh....never, ever under any curcumstances mention "ghosts".......ever.

I assume we are talking Thai superstitions here and not farang ones....????

One I learnt was that if you go into a supposed haunted place, everytime you go past it afterwards you have to acknowledge it to let it know you may intrude on its area again.

To give an improper wai is to get several years bad luck.

It is bad luck to get your hair cut on a Tuesday or is it a Wednesday????

I assume we are talking Thai superstitions here and not farang ones....????

I suppose you're right ... my other one was a little OT. Sorry 'bout that.

I know that the placement of the buddhist shrine area in the home is supposed to face east or north, but I think that is more tradition than superstition.

Also, I remember reading on some of the Thai wedding pages that some things are supposed to be in odd numbers, and that it is good and bad luck to get married on certain days of the year, and so on.

I know that everyone with a car or truck seems to have something dangling from the rearview which is supposed to be to ward off the bad spirits.

I'll see if I can re-find some of those links and post them up in the thread.

We've gotta build our house on a plot where I saw the biggest snake - apparently a good omen!

Probs - no access to made up road, miles from electric, etc. You name it, we haven't got it - and it's a swamp.

Oh well - home sweet home :D

Oh yeah - and I am not permitted to go to the wat for three years cos her friend who committed suicied was cremated there! :o

Well my sweet little wife looks at the Bhudist callendar for good and bad days to do things, like if I wanted a haircut tomorrow I might say, no darling it's a bad day wait for the day after. :o

Wasn't Wednesday the bad day to do anything with your hair?

Something to do with execution day in prisons or something...

Wasn't Wednesday the bad day to do anything with your hair?

Something to do with execution day in prisons or something...

Wednesday is the day which is bad luck for not just cutting hair but cutting anything - fingernails/paper included. I notice more barbers are open these days than 10 years ago, maybe this is just in my area.

Reminds me of one from home - bad luck to cut your toenails on a Sunday. I told my wife this and guess what she, being so superstitious, she obeys this one too.

Today is lottery day, there are hundreds about this. My wife was told last night in her dreams by a crazy man(lucky) that the last 3 nos were 317. Her mother was told differently by a tree. I am going for the last 3 digits on my new car, another lucky number.

I could go on but it is unlucky to make make fun of superstitions.

Edited by Neeranam

I love the way the Thai's go to a temple to Tam Boon, and then meditate for a while to purify their hearts. And now that the are pure and deserving shake the sticks to get lottery numbers.

Many folk used to go to Dhamma talks in the North East and whenever the abbot mentioned the 4 noble truths, or the 7 limbs of enlightenment etc.. the locals would write doen the numbers thinking it was a hint from the abott. Then when someone won or was 'close' to winning - that monk got lots of people come for his sermon.

Then there is the one of not cutting a hair that grows from a mole...

nuff sed

Hi All,

Yes Wednesday is not a good day to get your hair cut,, or so my TG (hairdresser who does not work on Wednesday) says. If she cuts hair on Wednesday she believes she will get cut!

If you give a gift of knifes it is not lucky for the recipient unless they give you a coin (money) in return.

It is unlucky to step on the door saddle, you must always step over it.

The raised door saddles in Thai buildings prevent “spirits” entering the room, or if in the room it prevents them leaving the room. (No easy wheelchair access!!)

Spirit Houses… the sprit house should be of a better standard than the main house, if it is not the spirits will inhabit the main house!

I am sure there are many things to do with the “lunar calendar” but I do not know them yet.

Have a Happy…

DeDanan.

Like the snake thing, it is also unlucky to hit a dog with your car. Very unlucky for the dog!

Don't point at the rainbow. If you do, you have to stick your finger in your as*.

If your backside itches, you're going to get a Chinese husband/wife.

I'm not superstitious - it's unlucky.

if i may add,

don't buy shoes for your gf/bf as they will walk away from you (experienced it once)

don't but a clock as a present to a birthday person as a clock means death (i am not sure if this is meant only for chinese)

if you are sweeping the floor, make sure the end of the broom doesn't hit anyone's leg/feet as it will bring bad luck to them.

when using chopsticks, do not cross the 2 chopsticks as it will bring bad luck

also on chopsticks, do not place your chopsticks in your bowl if your are using it. Instead place it across the bowl.

do not wear black if you are going to visit someone in the hospital (shoot! i forgot, i have to visit someone today at the hospital and i am all in black!)

don't whistle at night as snake might enter your house

if you dream of a snake, means you will meeting someone special (not sure with it applies to married couple)

if you dream of any numbers, buy the lottery according to your number. You might get lucky.

if you dream that got something to do with water, that means anything that you dream earlier will NEVER come true.

Explorer :o

Well my sweet little wife looks at the Bhudist callendar for good and bad days to do things, like if I wanted a haircut tomorrow I might say, no darling it's a bad day wait for the day after. :o

I'm only ever allowed to have a hair cut on a friday.

I have a bit of a cold at the moment so took a couple of tablets this morning. The Mrs was shocked that I would then eat a banana for breakfast. "You cant eat banana if you take medicine"....

Yeah right...

When I took my wife to America for the first time I casually mentioned that both of my parents had died, many years before, in our bedroom. The next day the bedroom was moved.