Property On Samui

Lived in THailand for 10 years so really should have made the move to Samui years ago...but i never !!

Iam currently looking at getting a place, in a good development, nice and secure etc. Seems to me that its turned into rip off central though. New developments seem to be upwards off 14 mil, and to make it worse..maintanance costs of abt 15,000 per month , now come on thats bloody stupid. If someone can help me in the direction of something more reasonable then let me know. I thought spending 10 mil or so i would get something nice but the prices are just plain stupid. :o

For 10 mil or so you can buy a few rai of land and divide it into subplots. Sell a few for a good price and there.. you just started your own development project. Nice profit and your own place for free.

You can be easily cheaper than the others. Offer places for 5 mil and up. Should sell more quick too. Al those expensive places offer some changes of doing it yourself. Jump on the train and go along.

I am thinking of doing that in the future so i am researching that.

Still have to do a lot of savings though.

Edited by Khun Jean

as someone who bought a piece of land there some time ago and is now looking to build i can only agree with you when you say that the place has turned into rip-off central . but for 10,000,000 you should be able to get a well built house in a good location.

the prices i am being quoted now for building are a bit ridiculous considering the building standards there , but there are now many "second hand " houses for sale.

some have just been finished and the builder/investor is selling on. some have been lived in for a while and are being sold by the owner.

there are a lot in the 5 to 10 million range and buying a completed house would avoid the undoubted problems of dealing with builders. it would seem to be the sensible way to go.

the island at the moment is being overun by british "estate agents/realtors" all trying to grab a slice of the action.

some of them know little about the properties they are trying to sell and they seem to be the middlemen between the thais who pull the strings and the farangs and asians who are looking to buy. these agents outnumber the coconut trees by at least 4 to 1.

investors seem to be paying silly money for land and houses which only fuels the undoubted greed that permeates the atmosphere on the island and raises the prices too high for those who are looking for a real home on the island.

if you are thinking of buying land and dividing it up to sell , then be prepared to wait a while for your income stream to start running. i dont think things are selling quite as quickly as some would have you believe , and there is nothing as forlorn or unsaleable as a half finished project covered in builders debris , with potholed roads and overgrown plots .... and thai builders are world champions when it comes to making a mess and not clearing up.

there are literally hundreds of projects being marketed right now and many dozens of houses for sale. take your time.

i was in a hurry to build when i got back there a while ago , but now i shall take my time and wait.

• 4 weeks later...

to add to my previous post ,

for 20,000 a month you can rent a decent house here , for 30,000 you can rent something extra decent !

if building costs for a good house are 10,000,000 then why build.

you can rent for 30 years for roughly the same price and you avoid dealing with agents and builders and the owner takes care of the repairs.

land and house prices have shot up here over the past few years and there is certainly an oversupply of houses.

my feeling is that the bubble will soon burst here.

its certainly a nice island but it doesnt have anything like the facilities offered in phuket and i'm not convinced that it can attract enough buyers for the dozens of baht10 mill+ houses that are being promoted in the local magazines.

would love to hear from any people in the land and house game on samui as to their views on the property bubble here and the advantages of building over renting

Whats diferent about any other major city or tourist destination in asia pac?

its always cheaper to rent

That said 10m baht or 250k usd or 150k uk is getting exp for samui,but what do you get in Spain,Bahamas,Hawaii,Noosa,Gld coast etc where the living is so very cheap and the women so beautiful ...even if you do have to spend 2o quid flying them in,but also you need to look at how cheap the living is once there.

The amazing thing its usualy the yuppies doing the outbiddding who can piss higher stuff..

The amazing thing about samui is that its all classes....sure dominated by the lonely old men set,but what better place to try and avoid the lonelyness.

to add to my previous post ,

for 20,000 a month you can rent a decent house here , for 30,000 you can rent something extra decent !

if building costs for a good house are 10,000,000 then why build.

you can rent for 30 years for roughly the same price and you avoid dealing with  agents and  builders and the owner takes care of the repairs.

land and house prices have shot up here over the past few years and there is certainly an oversupply of houses.

my feeling is that the bubble will soon burst here.

its certainly a nice island but it doesnt have anything like the facilities offered in phuket and i'm not convinced that it can attract enough buyers for the dozens of baht10 mill+ houses that are being promoted in the local magazines.

would love to hear from any people in the land and house game on samui as to their views on the property bubble here and the advantages of building over renting