Blast Hits Thai Government House

Changkok

A grenade explosion has injured 46 people inside the opposition-occupied government house in the Thai capital Bangkok, emergency services say.

The blast came as the authorities were trying to end a blockade of Bangkok's two main airports by People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters.

The protesters are demanding the prime minister's sacking and have occupied government house since August.

A grenade attack there last Saturday injured eight of them.

Suriyasai Katasila, a PAD spokesman, said the grenade had gone off just after midnight 300m (yards) from the stage in the government house compound.

"Protesters have returned to their positions, they are not scared," he told Thailand's Channel Three television.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, seen by the protesters as an ally of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has refused to resign in the face of the protests.

The PAD - a loose alliance of royalists, businessmen and the urban middle class - say the government is corrupt and hostile to the monarchy.

The blockade of Bangkok's two main airports has entered its sixth day but the protesters say they will not leave until the prime minister quits.

Protesters attacked two checkpoints near the main airport, Suvarnabhumi international, on Saturday, forcing police to retreat.

A few hundred police on duty are no match for the thousands of protesters, the BBC's Quentin Sommerville reports from Bangkok.

The prime minister has staked his government's reputation on ending the occupation.

The army are against him and his grip on power appears to be slipping, our correspondent says, as tens of thousands of stranded travellers are running short on cash and short of patience.

The government has started commercial services from a nearby military base but the waiting list for flights runs into weeks.

4 in serious condition, 3 more explosions heard at ASTV station and Don Mueang Airport.

A grenade was launched into the Government House compound minutes late Saturday night, injuring 50 people.

The explosion occurred at 11:50 pm Saturday when the protesters were preparing to rest and leaders of the People's Alliance for the Democracy were about to stop the activities on the stage.

The bomb fell on the roof of a tent on the left side of the stage and fell onto the ground and exploded.

Kittichai Saisa-ard, chief of PAD guards, said 47 protesters were sent to the Ramathibodi Hospital, and four of them were severely injured. He said two other protesters were sent to Phra Mongkut Hospital and another to Vajira Hospital.

The bomb, believed by the PAD to be an M79 grenade, exploded just 200 metres away from the PAD's main stage inside the Government House. It was fired outside the rally ground from a similar direction of the recent attack at the site.

Suriyasai Katasila said guards saw a flash from the direction of the Benjamabophit Hospital so it was believed the grenade was launched from the direction.

PAD guards checked and concluded that the assailant fired the grenade from a building inside the Rajamangala Technology University.

Most of the injured were hit by shrapnel at their face and eyes. Most are women.

Four of the injured remained in the intensive care unit.

They were identified as Kanchana Muennoo, 27, Jitra Jintanatham, 57, Suphana, surname unknown and Pienjai, surname unknown. The four are women. Kanchana's left lung was torn by the bomb shrapnel and doctors had to resuscitate her.

A 60-year-old woman from Kanchanaburi recounted that she was sleeping and woken up with the explosion.

She saw her friends bleeding on their limps.

"The guards ordered us to lie low and I tried to crawl to safety. But I am not afraid. If it's not my time, I'll be all right," she added.

Two explosions were heard at ASTV station on Phra Arthit Road at 12:15 am Sunday morning, just around 20 minutes after the attack at Government House.

Witnesses also heard the gunfire lasting about 10 minutes. No injury was reported.

Later on at 3:55 am, a bomb exploded near a bunker made of tyres at the Don Mueang Airport.

The explosion occurred at the main entrance to the passenger terminal.

Before the explosion occurred, about 7 gunshots were heard from the direction of a warehouse deeper inside the airport compound.

No one was injured in the explosion.

The explosion prompted the PAD to resume its activities on the stage after the activities were ended at 2 am.

Link.

i was in my hotel near banglampu last night just after midnight when two explosions rocked the place, it was also followed by what sounded like gunfire, i know from experience that there is every chance that it was fireworks, is government house in this area?

Kittichai Saisa-ard, chief of PAD guards, said 47 protesters were sent to the Ramathibodi Hospital, and four of them were severely injured. He said two other protesters were sent to Phra Mongkut Hospital and another to Vajira Hospital.

Very sad to hear of these injuries. I hope all have a successful recovery

The bomb, believed by the PAD to be an M79 grenade, exploded just 200 metres away from the PAD's main stage inside the Government House. It was fired outside the rally ground from a similar direction of the recent attack at the site.

Suriyasai Katasila said guards saw a flash from the direction of the Benjamabophit Hospital so it was believed the grenade was launched from the direction.

PAD guards checked and concluded that the assailant fired the grenade from a building inside the Rajamangala Technology University.

What is an M79 grenade? It appears to be a type that requires a launching device.

Not that I am in the market for one, but where are they sold in Thailand and would expect the cost of grenade and launcher to be? The point I am trying to make is that who would have access to these sorts of weapons and the training in how to use them??

Edited by soundman
Fixed formating.

What is an M79 grenade? It appears to be a type that requires a launching device.

Not that I am in the market for one, but where are they sold in Thailand and would expect the cost of grenade and launcher to be? The point I am trying to make is that who would have access to these sorts of weapons and the training in how to use them??

One turned up in a Phuket bust a year or so ago (launcher + ammo IIRC) so its not a massively complex piec3e of artillery or 'proof' of military assistance. If anything I think it looks obvious that the military are not the ones who will target the PAD.

For the training....It is not very difficult. That strange Army guy Sai Deng, almost openly tells that he is doing it.

This has already been on BBC for hours now. Thought it wasn't correct , why so long to filter through to TV

I thought it was very strange that the usual suspects didnt post it so hence the reason i posted it on here, Whats up? not important enough piece of news? I reckon a few are sleeping :o:D:D:D:D:wai:

This has already been on BBC for hours now. Thought it wasn't correct , why so long to filter through to TV

I thought it was very strange that the usual suspects didnt post it so hence the reason i posted it on here, Whats up? not important enough piece of news? I reckon a few are sleeping :o:D:D:D:D:wai:

I think you'll find we had it covered at the time.

I think you'll find we had it covered at the time.

Ah yes so you do, However if i hadnt of checked the bbc news website i would never of known about it unless i scrolled through to post #658 on that thread.

I think its easier and quicker for readers if each new significant event that happens should have its own thread but then again what do i know?? :P :jerk: :burp:

[/size] What is an M79 grenade? It appears to be a type that requires a launching device.

One turned up in a Phuket bust a year or so ago (launcher + ammo IIRC) so its not a massively complex piec3e of artillery or 'proof' of military assistance. If anything I think it looks obvious that the military are not the ones who will target the PAD.

<snip

[/size] What is an M79 grenade? It appears to be a type that requires a launching device.

An M-79 is a common infantry weapon that fires a special 40-mm grenade cartridge that must be loaded single-shot through the weapon's hinged breech...it is much like a military version of a big single-barrel shotgun, except the ammunition is an even more lethal exploding grenade instead of shotgun cartridge pellets that have a narrower dispersal pattern. It is an area weapon; not a pinpoint one. The Americans deployed them in Vietnam so it is nothing new. It has a working range of between 75 & 375 meters, and the projectile must travel at least 30-meters in order to properly arm itself for detonation at impact (with no intervening foliage, wires etc). It is not as devastating as an anti-personnel hand grenade though, but much more portable than say, a small mortar. I would expect that Royal Thai soldiers & marines are all schooled in how to fire the weapon during basic and/or advanced training. It features a sliding aiming post, that can be adjusted in 25-meter increments, so the only real issue in hitting a target is being able to sight on a target downrange in limited visibility...and being sure of the actual range. The same ammunition is usable for use in an M-203, which is a combined M-16 rifle (5.56-mm) and M-79 grenade launcher.

These weapons cannot be acquired normally by civilians, but most likely belong (or belonged) to military units and were illegally removed from their armories...where the weapons are not only secured in a double-locked facility, but are also chained and locked in special racks. In most world armies this sign-out process is not easy and requires a record of the exact time, date, unit of assignment and bearer's ID card number. Most militaries around the world also issue special weapons cards which must be surrendered at the time of withdrawal. Even then, the weapon cannot easily be signed-out by anyone casually desiring to do so and collusion would be required on the part of unit armorers..and perhaps others in the chain of command...especially if the unit was not scheduled to participate in small-arms training or qualification exercises. Units in combat operations have similar procedures but they are much abbreviated or the firearm is semi-permanently issued to the soldier/marine etc if the security situation demands immediate access.

In other words, you just don't grab an M-79 or M-203 off the rack and casually stroll back to your car with it, and then you would still need to lay hands on the munitions. I would daresay that transporting a weapon in a personal vehicle is also a military law violation in non-emergency circumstances. As in any other military, a unit arms room will have serial number accountability and visibility of all of its weapons that could be quickly audited to check on their safekeeping. All ammunition is normally maintained at a separate and secure storage area--referred to as an ammunition supply point in NATO parlance--and controls to withdraw these munitions is just as tedious, if not more so, than the weapons they are designed to be fired from. Are these M-79s/M-203s available through illegal, non-military (black market) sources in Thailand and its neighboring countries? I don't have the answer to that, but I would imagine in this region of the globe, almost anything is available for the right price...or purpose.

My wife was an RTA armorer in her early years...and confirms these procedures I have outlined are SOP...or were during her time.

Would one have to assume that government forces were behind an M-79 grenade attack? Again, it depends on the origin of the weapon, but I would find it hard to believe that a common thug could easily or quickly get his hands on one without help from a military insider. Without such assistance, a potential felon would need to illegally procure the weapon and its ammunition well in advance (felony offenses themselves I imagine) and bring them out for use when an opportunistic situation presented itself...as seen in recent tragic events. Another spectre for misuse is the notion that each and every weapon delivered to a Thai military unit might not be accounted for in auditable unit supply records...that a small quanity may be fenced off and held secretly and maintained by 'other personnel'. Could this dangerous idea be true in Thailand? It's entirely conjecture on my part and could be patently untrue. Let's sincerely hope it is untrue. In modern military forces elsewhere, weapon serial number accountability is conveyed to and audited by each successive higher chain of command all the way to the national service level using computerized recordkeeping means.

The mere fact that these lethal weapons are being brought into play--even without official sanctioning--to put down this insurrection by zealots among the pro-government faction is a serious matter and have escalated the chances for a tragic outcome exponentially. As in the PAD, there are other madmen about willing to commit murder to advance their master's cause. Watch your six. In the meanwhile, perhaps we ought to look at what George Orwell had to say about guns and democracy:

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." Some others have astutely proclaimed: "if you give a man a gun, you'd better watch him!" Both quotes are very apropos of the latest Troubles of Thailand (TOT), methinks.

Image and brief description here:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m79.htm

Images including the ammunition for them:

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl06-e.htm

Not hard to get, especially considering how many were left behind in Vietnam. For that matter, I've seen parts kits available at gun shows in the U.S. (Legally speaking, to manufacture one in the U.S., you have to pay a $200 tax, although some states ban their possession anyway, the narrow-minded spoilsports.)

This violence is a tragedy for such a beautiful land with so many (mostly) beautiful people.

I remember how it began a few days ago.

Assuming the press reports were correct, the PAD went to a meeting to condemn the Prime Minister because he is a cousin of Thakhsin.

However, none of us had any influence on the race into which we were born, and on the relatives we were born among.

I rest my judgement on the Prime Minister.

The reports said that government supporters threw stones at the PAD members, out of indignation.

The reports said the PAD supporters fought back with slingshot and knives.

It seems to me that the PAD members had armed themselves in advance, with slings and knives. It seems that they were "spoiling for a fight".

The government supporters should have realised that it does not pay to retalliate. They have escalated the violence the PAD members wanted to start. They have not done their country, their government, or their revered King any favours.

Charles Douglas Wehner