Police And Pad Guards To Jointly Patrol Protest Sites

coalminer

BANGKOK, Nov 30 (TNA) – Thailand's police and security volunteers from the anti- government Peoples' Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protest group will jointy work to provide security at the coalition movement's protest sites at Government House and Don Mueang Airport after the two venues were hit by bombs on early Sunday morning.

After holding talks with a top leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, Chamlong Srimuang, Metropolitan Police chief Lt-Gen. Suchart Muankaew revealed that the two sides agreed to jointly patrol the two protest sites after the blasts that occurred early Sunday morning wounded about 50 persons.

Gen. Suchart was put in charge of clearing Don Mueang Airport after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared a state of emergency at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports after they were seized by thousands of PAD protesters.

Meanwhile, the police gathered evidence at the grenade incident site at the entrance of Don Mueang Airport, where two people were wounded in the blast. According to the initial investigation, the police said the grenades could can cause deaths within a radius of five to ten metres. (TNA)

Political News : Last Update : 18:56:39 30 November 2008 (GMT+7:00)

PAD protesters seek joint police, military patrols at Government House

1228036340.jpg

PAD protesters seek joint police, military patrols at Government House BANGKOK, Nov 30 (TNA) - After a series of bomb attacks on anti-government protesters occupying Thailand's seat of government, Government House, Peoples' Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Chamlong Srimuang, said protesters will ask government security agencies to provide joint police and military patrols around the site.

Retired Army major-general Chamlong made his remarks following two explosions among PAD protesters at Government House and Don Mueang domestic airport early

Sunday morning, incidents in which 51 protesters were wounded, five of them seriously.

The wounded protesters were sent to three government hospitals for treatment. Gen. Chamlong said he believed the attacks were made by persons in government circles with an intention to worsen the situation and that his group would request police and military units to assign on sending the PAD guards for the joint patrol with them.

Somsak Kosaisuk, another core leader of the PAD, said henceforth security measures at all the three sites seized by the protesters, including Suvarnabhumi international airport, will be tightened.

Security measures at the ASTV satellite television station, operated by PAD core leader Sonthi Limthongkul, will also be tightened, said Mr. Somsak. Military issue weapons were fired on the protesters several times in the past but police were unable to arrest the culprits, said Mr. Somsak. (TNA)

Political News : Last Update : 16:08:08 30 November 2008 (GMT+7:00)

hmmm

Again folks that appear to want to see violence bypass the obvious.

1) The police who were supposed to be cordoning off the protest areas were guilty of gross neglect in letting bombers through. This shows an act of good faith on their part to prevent further attacks

2) This gives police further contact with the (as reported by the TNA) volunteer PAD guards. Likely preventing 'accidental' escalation.

3) Nothing could make Thailand look worse than a bomb getting shot into a crowd of women and children sitting in peaceful protest of the government.

Reading through many of the posts on various threads here, it appears that many Farangs want bloodshed.

Then when you see the bodies of old women and young children lying in pools of blood after being attacked by The Police, the same people will be ranting about the heavy handed tactics.

The Police are doing the right thing by doing nothing of the sort, the Police know what will happen if they try to force out PAD and they don't want to escalate the situation into a bloodbath, however much a bunch of Farang would like to see it.

Edited by Maigo6

Reading through many of the posts on various threads here, it appears that many Farangs want bloodshed.

Then when you see the bodies of old women and young children lying in pools of blood after being attacked by The Police, the same people will be ranting about the heavy handed tactics.

The Police are doing the right thing by doing nothing of the sort, the Police know what will happen if they try to force out PAD and they don't want to escalate the situation into a bloodbath, however much a bunch of Farang would like to see it.

Go6 --- please never do that again! (agree with me) as it makes me feel slightly nervous!

:o No, farangs want to get the hel_l out of Thailand and go on with their business.

Like one other poster on another topic, I am hoping that Thailand never gets a nuclear power station.

I can see it now - Fried chicken vendor from down the street takes little Somchai (only 4 yrs old, bless him) to perfectly safe, est. sponsored anti-govt protest. Little Somchai unbeknown to him is in ultra safe nuclear facility and presses the wrong button ... and boom.. he has accidentally blown off a major part of the SE Asian archipelago!!!! :o:D

Christ, if it wasn't so serious it would be downright funny.

:o No, farangs want to get the hel_l out of Thailand and go on with their business.

erm. Some of us want to get back in!!

Like one other poster on another topic, I am hoping that Thailand never gets a nuclear power station.

I can see it now - Fried chicken vendor from down the street takes little Somchai (only 4 yrs old, bless him) to perfectly safe, est. sponsored anti-govt protest. Little Somchai unbeknown to him is in ultra safe nuclear facility and presses the wrong button ... and boom.. he has accidentally blown off a major part of the SE Asian archipelago!!!! :o:D

Christ, if it wasn't so serious it would be downright funny.

Or Somchai and Jerawat (and some friends and children) and drinking black label with soda and ice in the control room, because somchai is going to marry. A glass is falling on the red button and the whiskey is going into the electronic.

Maybe they should buy a russian reactor with a russian technical director.

BANGKOK, Nov 30 (TNA) – Thailand's police and security volunteers from the anti- government Peoples' Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protest group will jointy work to provide security at the coalition movement's protest sites at Government House and Don Mueang Airport after the two venues were hit by bombs on early Sunday morning.

After holding talks with a top leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, Chamlong Srimuang, Metropolitan Police chief Lt-Gen. Suchart Muankaew revealed that the two sides agreed to jointly patrol the two protest sites after the blasts that occurred early Sunday morning wounded about 50 persons.

Gen. Suchart was put in charge of clearing Don Mueang Airport after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared a state of emergency at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports after they were seized by thousands of PAD protesters.

Meanwhile, the police gathered evidence at the grenade incident site at the entrance of Don Mueang Airport, where two people were wounded in the blast. According to the initial investigation, the police said the grenades could can cause deaths within a radius of five to ten metres. (TNA)

Political News : Last Update : 18:56:39 30 November 2008 (GMT+7:00)

PAD protesters seek joint police, military patrols at Government House

Did you see the changes in the reports:

shields from the police "confiscated" (not stohlen)

police general "arrested" by PAD. (not hostage)

joint "patrols" is just another thing. Things are changing.

Very true, back home in the 'west' our Governments would beat, gas and electrify / taser you into submission, then throw you in jail. They must prevail no matter what the cost, this wait and see approach is much better and more sensible despite the 'annoyance' of having the airport closed.

Edited by ukrules

There have been many explosives attacks on the PAD demonstrators at their various location since all this yellow-red fighting started, and often occurring with Thai police nearby or inside supposedly police-controlled perimeters. But for all of the different attacks, I don't think I've heard yet of even one suspect being named or arrested in connection with any of them.

That kind of situation pretty much suggests one of only two alternatives: 1) the police (or parts of them) are somehow complicit in the attacks, or 2) the police are as weak at solving these crimes as they reportedly are at (not) solving all the others. Which of the two options would you choose???

I suppose, of course, it's also possible both 1 and 2 could be equally true.... You'd hope/think that somewhere, somehow, they'd actually catch someone really responsible for perpetuating the violence.

Very true, back home in the 'west' our Governments would beat, gas and electrify / taser you into submission, then throw you in jail. They must prevail no matter what the cost, this wait and see approach is much better and more sensible despite the 'annoyance' of having the airport closed.

The airport is no problem for me personally but I sincerely believe this shut down at this fragile economic juncture has the potential to throw Thailand into a depression. In a country as politically volatile and restless as Thailand increased economic disparity is not going to assuage anyone's grief. Political ideals shift with the wind but being broke doesn't; expect an increase in crime, suicide and tension. I am all for this situation being resolved without violence and there are crowd control tools that could accomplish that but to let an angry mob strangle the country and destroy it's reputation in the world is much more than an annoyance. I am not for either political side, I'm a utilitarian bottom line kind of guy because behind the rhetoric I think they are all the same. But the bottom line here is the damage here to the pysche and economy of Thailand is profound. It might seem like a silly Mai Bphen Rai situation at the moment but 6 months from now they will be calling this the land of frowns.

Edited by wasabi

This has to be the dumbest thing i ever heard ,the police are supposed to get them out ,not walk around holding hands with them

Thailand will become the laugthing stock of the world ,

going to be, i laughed for hours yesterday, google main story was ,police run from protesters, a few protesters were coming at police on highway in their trucks and police got in their trucks and took off, RUNNING from them, enough, this is domestic terrorism, how many pm have to step down, till the party that lost the elections are happy, i agree what a joke this is.

This has to be the dumbest thing i ever heard ,the police are supposed to get them out ,not walk around holding hands with them

going to be, i laughed for hours yesterday, google main story was ,police run from protesters, a few protesters were coming at police on highway in their trucks and police got in their trucks and took off, RUNNING from them, enough, this is domestic terrorism, how many pm have to step down, till the party that lost the elections are happy, i agree what a joke this is.

PAD is not a party and the Democrats are not that happy about the airport thing.

PAD is not a party and the Democrats are not that happy about the airport thing.

What this is is political terrorism.

The supine Democrats deserve to be trounced in the (likely) next elections, and they will be. They have showed they have no leadership or statesmanship throughout this crisis, and if elected they would simply continue to be the conduit for the shemes and interests of the Bangkok elite.

But that's academic, because they will be beaten even more than they were in the last election, when they at least had some credibility, by whichever party represents interests opposed to the Bangkok elite. The march of progress and political disaffection will see to that.

Edited by APMann

:o Whether you like it or not...and I am definately nuetral in this situation....it ought to be clear even to you that the power balance is shifting.

The government has been proven to be incompatent. The police can see who is losing. The ending is becoming clearer.

Interesting events are occuring. I'm just watching to see what will happen.

:D