Several Nations Race To Repatriate Nationals Stranded In Thailand

george

I met some people from the UK in pattaya yesterday BA will not fly. but no issue getting in and out if you have a decent travel agent.

I flew from OZ Friday now in bangkok. Was a better trip overnight in Phuket overnight in Pattaya what more could you ask :o

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is stranded in Phuket - no one (including the Brit Embassy) seems to acknowledge that the problem goes way beyond Bangkok. Looked in vain for info about Phuket - none that I can find! Anyone know more?

Stranded and Phuket are two words that don''t fit together in this situation.

In Phuket, it's life as normal. People are still coming and going. Guesthouses and hotels still having a good rotation of customers. Bars & restaurants operating as the do every other day. Deliveries, offices, shops, are ready for a high season (that may or may not come now), and the various transportation routes are still alive and kicking.

We've had guests bus, boat, and fly in and out in the last week. No flights to BKK that I'm aware of, and air seems low on the prefered choices this week, but anyone here is far from stranded.

As for the other countries having to come in and rescue their own citizens, what an embarassment. A huge loss of face for Thailand. The damage is getting worse by the day.

My friend who is in Pattaya at the moment has been told ( due to fly home Sat 13th Dec ) by the Thai tourist Board if there is still disruption at the airports that he will get 2000baht a day to cover his meals and hotel, that might even pay for a cruise down soi 6 haha, but if they are going to do that for everyone then I wouldn't like to sign that expense receipt.

My daughter is stranded in Phuket - no one (including the Brit Embassy) seems to acknowledge that the problem goes way beyond Bangkok. Looked in vain for info about Phuket - none that I can find! Anyone know more?

In Phuket, it's life as normal. People are still coming and going. Guesthouses and hotels still having a good rotation of customers. Bars & restaurants operating as the do every other day. Deliveries, offices, shops, are ready for a high season (that may or may not come now), and the various transportation routes are still alive and kicking.

We've had guests bus, boat, and fly in and out in the last week. No flights to BKK that I'm aware of, and air seems low on the prefered choices this week, but anyone here is far from stranded.

As for the other countries having to come in and rescue their own citizens, what an embarassment. A huge loss of face for Thailand. The damage is getting worse by the day.

Understand but she is awaiting a flight out to connect with Emirates (in Bkk) and has been told to stay there and await further instructions (by UK travel agents) so for her, she is stuck (or faces huge extra expense to get herself and husband back to UK).

Embassy do not offer any advice. Insurance could (see above) use their "get out" to avoid paying costs. Her job is under threat if she doesn't return soon - and this was her honeymoon!!!

Advice from the Embassy would help! But she is not (technically) stranded I accept.

I empathize with those pasengers but I wonder why most do not simply get on the train to Penang. Get a bus from there to KL and leave from there.

Is the average tourist that hopeless?

On a different tack I hope the Thai travellers to Mecca managed to get out. Some of them may have saved for years for their one ond only trip of a lifetime.

It does seem strange that passengers haven't worked it out, that they can travel from other places outside Bangkok. Then, maybe, they're not all well seasoned travellers and they're not aware of the options open to them. There's also the cost of buying a new ticket. I believe that airlines are reluctant to offer compensation to stranded passengers?

I'd find out if my flights could be altered when the airport eventually opens and head for the nearest beach until further notice. I'm sure that would be cheaper than travelling to KL and buying a new flight...certainly more relaxing. I can't stand airports at the best of times.

The latest advice i received for compensation

Thailand will pay 2,000 baht per day if you can prove you were stranded.

Thai Airways offering 4,000 Baht per day if you can also prove you were stranded and on one of their planes.

4 UK guys contacted there agent yesterday and were eligible for the refund.

Understand but she is awaiting a flight out to connect with Emirates (in Bkk) and has been told to stay there and await further instructions (by UK travel agents) so for her, she is stuck (or faces huge extra expense to get herself and husband back to UK).

Embassy do not offer any advice. Insurance could (see above) use their "get out" to avoid paying costs. Her job is under threat if she doesn't return soon - and this was her honeymoon!!!

Advice from the Embassy would help! But she is not (technically) stranded I accept.

I think that it's outrageous that she could be facing the sack for not coming back to work! Don't her employers watch the news? It isn't her fault that she's stuck in Thailand. If they're that keen to get her back, let them pay for her transport to get across land and out of Thailand.

Would they drag someone out of their sick bed too? It sounds as though her employers would! Maybe she could get a better employer.

Just came back from Don Muang airport (DMK) air force side and most of the planes are gone. The aircraft were seen as possible targets should force be used to remove the protesters.

Glad to see the planes back in he sky even from Chiang Mai, Utapao and Phuket.

:o

Edited by ilyushin

Easier said than done!

Yes they COULD pay but do you realistically think they will.

She isn't exactly a high-powered irreplaceable Exec. and doesn't have the resources to do it herself.

Still I suppose she'll never forget her honeymoon and WILL (100% sure) never return to Thailand after this.

She'll also tell her friends - multiply by the 100,000 who have been hit in some way or another and that's a heck of a lot of people who will avoid Thailand in the future.

The damage long-term is incalcuable - a country in despair and soon to be overtaken by Cambodia, Laos, Philippines etc. I suspect.

Time for many here long-term to re-think too I reckon.

Job losses / export collapse / business closures / tourism income slashed and so on. NOT a rosy picture for a country with so much potential.

I rang the Aussie embassy, they told me Quantas has emergency flights from U,tappo to Aussie and gave me two numbers to call, one Thai and one Aussie. The Thai one is constantly busy so I rang the Aussie one, a yank answered and told me Quantas is only flying from Phuket and told me I should go there. I replied I am in Ubon and it will take me a few days to get there, but I wont go unless he can guarentee me a flight. He couldnt do that so I remain in Ubon.

Edited by waza

Easier said than done!

Yes they COULD pay but do you realistically think they will.

She isn't exactly a high-powered irreplaceable Exec. and doesn't have the resources to do it herself.

Still I suppose she'll never forget her honeymoon and WILL (100% sure) never return to Thailand after this.

She'll also tell her friends - multiply by the 100,000 who have been hit in some way or another and that's a heck of a lot of people who will avoid Thailand in the future.

The damage long-term is incalcuable - a country in despair and soon to be overtaken by Cambodia, Laos, Philippines etc. I suspect.

Time for many here long-term to re-think too I reckon.

Job losses / export collapse / business closures / tourism income slashed and so on. NOT a rosy picture for a country with so much potential.

Edited by christhatcher

"The U.S. embassy in Bangkok said it had asked the Thai foreign ministry to provide "appropriate compensation" to U.S. citizens stranded by the closure of Suvarnabhumi and the older Don Muang airport, a big domestic hub."

http://www.daylife.com/photo/01hU1nuf7adHc

You know you have got to admire the absolute efrontery of the USA asking for compensation? WShat about when I was stranded due to strikes in USA no one came arround offering anything.

The " we rule the world" attitude. Rob the pooer, and the USA has done that well throughout the world. Over 70% of the current finacial problems of the moment,stem from a Banrupt country and they still have the cheek to put their hand out.

Sham, shame, shame.

First - learn how to spell BANKRUPT!

Second - No one from the US ever offers anything to other countries, do they? Think again pal.

70% of the world's financial problems don't stem from the US - pull your head out of your behind.

Blame it all on the U.S. Shame, shame, shame on you pal -***no flaming***

Edited by sbk

I empathize with those pasengers but I wonder why most do not simply get on the train to Penang. Get a bus from there to KL and leave from there.

On a different tack I hope the Thai travellers to Mecca managed to get out. Some of them may have saved for years for their one ond only trip of a lifetime.

Have you actually tried to book a train south, full up till at least the 8th December, sorry.Got any other simple ideas?

No way am i going to bus it all that way, but i think getting a seat might be a problem as well.

I have thought about chartering one of the six seaters they run to the borders if i could find 5 others that want to go to KL, i will ask around today to see if i can get a price

"The U.S. embassy in Bangkok said it had asked the Thai foreign ministry to provide "appropriate compensation" to U.S. citizens stranded by the closure of Suvarnabhumi and the older Don Muang airport, a big domestic hub."

http://www.daylife.com/photo/01hU1nuf7adHc

You know you have got to admire the absolute efrontery of the USA asking for compensation? WShat about when I was stranded due to strikes in USA no one came arround offering anything.

The " we rule the world" attitude. Rob the pooer, and the USA has done that well throughout the world. Over 70% of the current finacial problems of the moment,stem from a Banrupt country and they still have the cheek to put their hand out.

Sham, shame, shame.

First - learn how to spell BANKRUPT!

Second - No one from the US ever offers anything to other countries, do they? Think again pal.

70% of the world's financial problems don't stem from the US - pull your head out of your behind.

Blame it all on the U.S. Shame, shame, shame on you pal

You know I haven't used this site for ages - and yet again this reminds me why!

He IS entitled to his opinion (and you to yours) but you are the lesser person (I would say moron but why would I bother?) for your attack on him for a spelling error and an opinion that isn't yours.

Not one of us here has the right to claim total superiority over the opinions of others (and that - believe or not - includes you).

Whatever you THINK is correct - correct with facts and information - not personal attacks and leave him with his right to have a different opinion without a petty attacks PLEASE!

Checked for spelling but I am not perfect and am typing too quickly to guarantee every word!

trains . busses, min vans packed to the gills, no most tourists are not that stupid!

Just came back from Don Muang airport (DMK) air force side and most of the planes are gone. The aircraft were seen as possible targets should force be used to remove the protesters.

Glad to see the planes back in he sky even from Chiang Mai, Utapao and Phuket.

I think they have come to Ubon, military aircraft have been buzzing my hotel for the last 24 hours

well. It is the Airport chief who ordered the closure. PAD has officailly appealed to him to reopen the Airport since the protesters have nothing to do with the control of the flight traffic. PAD also managed to send those Muslim pilgrims to Megga almost everyone is happy. They are now waiting until tomorrow the day that the constitution court will rule that the ruling and coalition parties be dissolved. After this ruling it will satify the crowd and surely they will remove themselves from the Airport. It is just a matter of time. Please bear with this.

Have you actually tried to book a train south, full up till at least the 8th December, sorry.Got any other simple ideas?

No way am i going to bus it all that way, but i think getting a seat might be a problem as well.

I have thought about chartering one of the six seaters they run to the borders if i could find 5 others that want to go to KL, i will ask around today to see if i can get a price

I totally agree Bartender100. I have been trying to get places on trains and or buses for my sister and her friend to KL but no luck. Also trying to book flights out of KL price doubled then trebled with two clicks. They should have departed on Saturday 29th on Gulf Air, they have not been very helpful. My sister and her friend may be interested in the 6 seater if they can get a flight.

Nigel

I have just returned to Korea from BKK on my "scheduled flight." On Saturday while in Cha-Am I called Thai Air Public Relations #(545-4000), I could not get through on the Reservation # 356-1111. Thai Air rep put the wife and I into the computer and said flights were a "day to day" operation out of Utapao. 2230 Saturday Thai Air called to confirm our seats on Sunday. We had to report to Center World Convention Center to sign-in at least 6 hours prior to flight (2345), stood in a totally dis-organized gaggle for 2(+) hours before checking-in, Thai had flights to Tokyo, Franfurt, Incheon, Syndey and Copenhagen.

After check-in ordeal went for quickest ever run through Immigration, then 3 hour Bus ride to Utapao. At Utapao it was off the bus and every man for himself, no one providing any instructions. Another 4(+) hours of standing and pushing through numerous crowds at Utapao, organized chaos! The Utapao people ar doing the best they can with limited facilities, definitely NOT along term solution.

We arrived in Incheon 2 1/2 hours behind original arrival time, only took 10(+) hours from chek-in to flight departure, alot of standing and pushing in crowds, not for the faint of heart. My wife who is Thai said "why would someone want to come to Thailand?" :o

Several airlines are arranging for special flights to pick up stranded passengers. Lufthansa already flew into Phuket last night and will return again tonite as far as I know. BA will have a flight from Phuket tomorrow. Others like Qatar Airways, Transaero, Austrian are using Utapao. Get in touch with the airline!

A contact at Thai Airways in Oz told me they hope Starting late Tuesday early Wednesday & fully operational by Friday

Rots o Ruck

just read a post on bigpond in australia and it said once the airport was open it would still take a week for the airport to run properly as they have to reload all the computers make sure every thing is right and then get a independant 3rd party to double check everything so could be still a while to wait :D

Why, stay here collect 2000 Baht per person a day and laugh at their incompetence