Multiple Entry Or Single?

I am married to a Thai and also over 50 and expect to move to Thailand as soon as my finances come thru. I qualify with the funds required if I want a retirement visa and also own a condo in Pattaya.

I have read many threads here and most seem to state to get single entry O Visa and then get a 12 month extension.

But I am also wanting to return to Australia yearly to visit my family over here. So if I get a 12 month extension on a single entry visa, does that mean that I can't come back into Thailand when I return from Australia?

It sounds logical that I should get a multiple entry visa at the start, but I get so confused with each and every different rule I read.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mynot, it is easy. The moment you arrive in Thailand your single O will become USED and you obtain a permission to stay. Initially for 90 days.

Once your extension is granted for 1 year (from the first entry) this will be reflected again by a "permitted to stay until ...."

At any time you can apply for a re-entry permit at Baht 1000 per single- and Baht 3800 for unlimited multiple re-entries.

This permit will allow you to return under your previos conditions either once (single) or as oft as you wish (multiple)

Get a single entry Non Imm O visa in OZ once you are in Thailand obtain the 1 year extension (once you meet requirements) then if you want to visit OZ apply for a re-entry permit so you can return to Thailand without it affecting your 1 year extension.............if you plan to visit OZ more than once a year a multiple re-entry permit is available for 3800 baht................. Apologies Axel beat me to the post.

Edited by thaiflyer1

i know the common advice on this forum is is to get a single and then extension, but i personally prefer to get multiple entry visas for as long as they are available. I do not like the idea of sitting in immigration, being asked questions and having them look through my bank accounts etc etc I much prefer a leisurely trip to penang every 3 months; chat to a few passengers; and do a bit of shopping whilst i'm there. Also, to leave 400k or 800k in a thai bank loses me money from the overseas investments i would get, so it can actually work out cheaper. But that's just my opinion.

i know the common advice on this forum is is to get a single and then extension, but i personally prefer to get multiple entry visas for as long as they are available. I do not like the idea of sitting in immigration, being asked questions and having them look through my bank accounts etc etc I much prefer a leisurely trip to penang every 3 months; chat to a few passengers; and do a bit of shopping whilst i'm there. Also, to leave 400k or 800k in a thai bank loses me money from the overseas investments i would get, so it can actually work out cheaper. But that's just my opinion.

If it is Penang it must be marriage and that is 400k and that is one time a year deposit requirement and that is a lot of trips to Penang to save loss of interest for a few days. The extension of stay is really not that bad once you get over the initial fear. I used your excuses, and more, but am very glad to be rid of those trips. You forgot the time away from the wife excuse. :o

Fully agree to lopburi's remarks. Although not in Thailand, I had to do visa-flights for round about 10 years, out of Taipei, which was always inconvinient.

For sure, the moment I had to go to HKG to get a new visa, I was needed in TPE or the other way round. Whatever, I did, the timing was wrong.

In Thailand they do have a system for one-year which makes it so much easier.

OK, still have a problem once a year, when I should be somewhere, I should be in immigration in BKK. But only ONCE.

So when you have a chance, go for the extension.

Sorry, Thaiflyer, but than it's my birthday today. I am surfing and waiting to go home...

Happy Birthday............it was mine on the 11th! :D

Happy birthday both. It's mine on the 21st. Was supposed to be on the 25th but that's blasphemous by all accounts so they got mother excited and out I popped.

I'm going for extension of stay next month and had a bit of a worry with the money thing, but in the end it goes towards the residency which you can't do with multis. My sawng baht. :o

Thanks and same to everybody (to whom it may concern :D )

Seems December is quite a busy month, or is it March/April. :o

I keep the PR in the back of my mind, could have done years ago but than, cannot sing the anthem with my rusty voice.