Paying Tax On Mail Ordered Computer

Sarathi

I'm buying a netbook computer via mail. How does the tax thing work on it ?

Is it going to be held by the post office ? or customs? how do I get charged the tax, and where do I go to pay it.

Or would it just slip by ?

I'm ordering today so please let me know your experience.

cheers.

I've had stuff (computer components) shipped in and have had it 'slip by' paradoxically for the large shipment, and then had 4x 2GB sticks of ECC RAM come in that I had to go to the Postal Office near the Bangkok train station and pay customs for. Of course i was living in Samut Prakarn at the time.

So it seems it is the post office that knobbles you for tax ?

I'm getting a new and boxed netbook worth 17 000 baht sent from the UK through a online UK store.

I don't mind paying the tax - it is not a problem. I am just wondering how, where and if it will be charged for a mini laptop, and roughly how much it will be.

Cheers.

I'm getting a new and boxed netbook worth 17 000 baht sent from the UK through a online UK store.

I don't mind paying the tax - it is not a problem. I am just wondering how, where and if it will be charged for a mini laptop, and roughly how much it will be.

Cheers.

Post office will have charges given to them by customs, expect up to 50 per cent unfortunatly,.you should receive a note ( pink slip or a white peice of paper with green edges ) advising you to collect from your local post office, its a minefield, i had 3 items the same sent, all had different customs charges, !. on one set of wheels i imported i paid 100 per cent,. :o

Cheers.

by the way ,you should have got the vat off if purchased in the uk for export ( currently 15 per cent ), that will help towards the charges here,.

Cheers.

How are they sending it i.e which courier ? If they use Royal Mail parcels it will come through to TH and you will get a note requesting you collect from local delivery/sorting office where you will need to pay import duty on declared value plus VAT. If it is being sent via Parcelforce in the UK ( note now seperate to Royal Mail) Parcelforce contarcts it to Fedex and they will deliver to your door but will require payment on delivery for import duty plus VAT. If being sent by DHL/UPS same applies as Fedex.

They (Thai customs) will levy 10% import duty plus 7 % VAT irrespective of the courier/parcel service. Irrespective of some other posters experiences I have never paid anything differant to this whether it be expensive electronics, software or minor low value goods always paid the same percentages.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Cheers.

How are they sending it i.e which courier ? If they use Royal Mail parcels it will come through to TH and you will get a note requesting you collect from local delivery/sorting office where you will need to pay import duty on declared value plus VAT. If it is being sent via Parcelforce in the UK ( note now seperate to Royal Mail) Parcelforce contarcts it to Fedex and they will deliver to your door but will require payment on delivery for import duty plus VAT. If being sent by DHL/UPS same applies as Fedex.

They (Thai customs) will levy 10% import duty plus 7 % VAT irrespective of the courier/parcel service

Not saying its not true ,but are you sure about fedex delivering for parcelforce ?,. as for the quoted rate, i have yet to receive a bill for that amount, and actually i paid 100 per cent on a set of wheels i paid 140000 baht for, sent/delivered by DHL,. Edited by imaneggspurt

Not saying its not true ,but are you sure about fedex delivering for parcelforce ?,. as for the quoted rate, i have yet to receive a bill for that amount, and actually i paid 100 per cent on a set of wheels i paid 140000 baht for, sent/delivered by DHL,.

maybe because the wheels being car parts, they apply the same rate as for cars?

Cheers.

They (Thai customs) will levy 10% import duty plus 7 % VAT irrespective of the courier/parcel service

Not saying its not true ,but are you sure about fedex delivering for parcelforce ?,. as for the quoted rate, i have yet to receive a bill for that amount, and actually i paid 100 per cent on a set of wheels i paid 140000 baht for, sent/delivered by DHL,.

Absolutely as I received 2 parcels last month via Fedex that was contracted to Parcelforce in the UK. You pay Fedex the duty when they deliver. I have only imported items that are not manufactured in Thailand, perhaps wheels, which are manufactured here are under a differant import levy regime - only a guess

Cheers.

Do I understand this right....??? You paid 140k baht for a set (I assume 4) of wheels... And then you were taxed 100%... So in all you paid 280k baht for four wheels? dam_n that's $2,000 USD per wheel..... Where they solid gold or diamond studded?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the Samsung NC10 from www.clove.co.uk . delivered within 2 days and perfect working order. Total cost 19 000 including post and tax.

Teh courrier took 1500 baht tac on delivery. I was exempt from the UK VAT which was about 45 pounds.

Great netbook - keyboard is way superior to others except HP. Battery better than HP. All in all a good experience so far.

I just got the Samsung NC10 from www.clove.co.uk . delivered within 2 days and perfect working order. Total cost 19 000 including post and tax.

Teh courrier took 1500 baht tac on delivery. I was exempt from the UK VAT which was about 45 pounds.

Great netbook - keyboard is way superior to others except HP. Battery better than HP. All in all a good experience so far.

Sounds like you had it easy. I bought a laptop battery that I couldn't find in Thailand and it came US Parcel Service with tracking until the Thai Post Office. Took 4 days to get to Thailand then sat a week in the Prakanong PO until I turned up asking <deleted> it was as the PO hadn't paid my address a visit. They somehow recognised my name and matched it to their storage at the PO since the US parcel mail tracking documents meant nothing to them once the item had entered Thailand it seemed.

I then had to sit around the dump waiting 2 hrs for tax payment and collection. How on earth things don't get stolen then with such slack security is amazing. I thought my stuff would have been lost but Thailand is full of surprises.

If the vendor uses couriers like Fedex these hassles can be avoided methinks?