Database Help

kir

Hi to all,

I'm a web novice, so any and all advice is most welcome (posted or emailed).

I have MS Frontage and have been trying to use it to develop a website database (simple hotel names, location, contact details etc.).

I've kept it simple (no graphics at all yet) and have used only the database wizard, which created an index page with two hyperlinks; one to a submission page, the other to a results page, and of course the databse itself (an MS Access DB).

However, things are not going well and it hasn't met my expectations; for example a seacrh page wasn't provided etc.

What i want is a simple index (home page) containing 2 links; one to a submission page via which hotel details etc., are entered directly into the database and the other link to a search page through which a hotel name can be entered to search the database. Finally, a search results page should come up with the hotel's details stored in the database.*note:only that hotel, not the whole database!

So, my questions is, can i achieve the above using MS Frontpage? I have everything down on paper (flow diagram etc.) and my initial goal is to get the mechanics of the site to work before i start to attmept the inclusion of graphics etc. Ideally, i'd like the whole testsite completed on disc. Would i be going off on a tangent by researching the software "MySQL" as i've read a little, but to be honest am quiet lost....!!!!

Any and all help, advice would be most welcome.

Best Regards

Kir

Edited by kir

Thanks,

Could you please clarify if i can indeed achieve my goal using MySQL software, or would that only be one part of what i'm trying to do.

Yes, of course, i'm open to offers for professional help. Just not sure where exactly to be looking in Bangkok.

Like anyone, i'd like any price to be based on the actual work or difficluty of the task rather than get fleeced as a novice.

Suggestions most welcoome.

Regards

Kir

Edited by kir

My suggestion;

IBM Websphere Enterprise - Studio

and

DB/2 8.1 EEE (Extended Enterorise Edition) it comes with all the Web enhancements.

Websphere Studio has all the stuff in it to generate connections to a Database anywhere, so your database doesn't have to be on the same machine as the server.

It will take a bit of learning, but it comes pre-packaged with all sorts of stuff. Like commerce and booking connectors atc etc.

Where to buy it, obviously an authorised reseller - I am sure there are plenty at Pantip :o

i think you need to explore SQL more

and forget about MS frontpage

you are talking about a professional job

which i doubt a starting newbiz is able to manage

consider paying somebody to get it done

hi'

I'll second this strongly :D

MySQL and PHP are going together and it's a job ...

you would need to learn both (can be done), you would need to practise before to build any page intented to be uploaded ... and it takes time :o

I began to take a look at PHP and MySQL a few years ago ... still in :D

I still build in html, but if I were you I wouldn't use frontpage ...

as most of us said already, get some help, this could be your best idea, and could help you to learn all this "live" :D

good luck

francois

if i can indeed achieve my goal using MySQL software
Sorry Kir, I missed that when I was posting, I think I took too long to add my reply.

From memory most Hosting Packages come with MYSQL as an option. If you aren't scaling beyond a DB of more than 2+ Gb there are no issues.

Therefore, DB/2 would not be appropriate for your uses.

Then its personal choice, which brand you go with, some have advantages, others disinct disadvantages.

I think what Kabal1234 makes good sence, particularly if you havn't done much web programming before.

My recommendation is to use an ASP.NET / MS Access combo on the Microsoft platform, but you could also use MySql with their ODBC connector if you really want.

This is a very simple job!

PM me if you would like me to code it.

My company can't help, so I am not touting for business, our main line now is in other areas of the web.

If you want to create yor own database (flat file) easy to set up and manage have a look at www.webteacher.com/webdata its a good little database program for small sites and very easy to use.

Ok for up to 20,000 records, they also have an SQL version which you can upgrade to if needed later.

Many thanks to everyone; mattnich, kabal1234, francois, fourbaht, et33.com, for your input...

Just a last question.....

Is my website simple to create or would i be looking at large numbers to have it built for me?

Honestly, i quiet lost!

Thanks again for your patience.

Incidentally,

If i were to take the above mentioned website database concept to a web designer here in BKK, what would be a ball park figure to simple get the mechanics/links of it all sorted out and put on a disc which i could then add any graphcs etc., to later before uploading to the web?

And can anyone recommend anyone/company????

Cheers...