Paragon Ocean World Ripoff

kojack99

Looking at things from a tourism (lack there of) point of view, I was in a local watering hole the other day and was surprised by the following.

Not related to ocean world per say, but thought I would rant about raising prices in a dead economy.

If you sit outside and order a beer after happy hour it is 95 baht. If you go inside it's 120. (Happy hour is 70 baht for a beer)

But if you order a coffee outside or inside at anytime it is 100 baht.

Now I understand that the bar owners don't want people to come inside and order a bottle of water or a coffee at cheap prices and sit there for two hours watching but not drinking/ but I don't understand how a cup of coffee outside is more expesive than a beer.

Heini beer wholesale is 30ish baht, one coffee is 10 baht (not nescafe, a real coffee). So in other words it makes more sense to drink a coffee outside at 100 baht, then when you go inside have a beer at 120.

When I quired the management they gave me a blank look.

Also, I said in terms of less tourists visiting why are you raising your prices again? It appears the only people in the watering holes are expats living here - keep it up and you will be sitting here alone.

Maybe Siam Ocean World will double their prices (only for farangs) to make up for the lack of tourists as well.

Rant done.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me and family went to ocean world , when it first opened, they charged full price for our children, i was not to pleased , and will never go back ,

looked like a very bad copy of the ones i have seen else where in the world , not value for money , simple as that

Right ! I know the answer for this.

Thai price 350 Baht is only for entry fee.

Non Thai price 850 Baht inc. entry fee+glass bottom boat+ 4 D movie.

Jing Jing !

Chan

And how those additional things gonna cost for a Thai person ? I'm sure still not reach the 500 baht gap to the farang full price...

They should let us decide if we wanna those additional services or not...

".....Foreigners pay more for education, too. "

I do not know about all univ. around the world, but in America, the above statement is not accurate.

There is a price difference between "state and non state" residency students. For example, if I live/reside in Texas, I get cheaper rates than a student from Michigan. This is because I have paid taxes in the state of Texas.

Garbage!

If you're a International student at Walla Walla Community college, Washington, you pay almost 3 times more than resident.

http://www.wwcc.edu/CMS/index.php?id=827

Does this make them RACIST or OPPORTUNISTIC? IAW to all your posts, this makes the US just as racists as Thailand.

Walla Walla? Why do you mention it? Did you live there? I lived there for three years. Small place. Small world. And, if I was an international student, there is no way I'd even want to go to WWCC. I can't imagine any would. A community college? They should just stay in their own country and go to a technical college if they're going to do that.

Did not lived there but I was in Spokane with my ex-girl for a month. Met a lot of nice people though. My college friend lived in Washington so we used to talked frequently about the place.

I mentioned Walla Walla to set example for Dakhar who doesn't seem to realized that there are institutions in the United States who charge foreigners more than local residents. It's nothing new! It happens every where not just Thailand. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM. IT'S ECONOMICS!

You mentioned WALLA WALLA wanke_r to prove a point. Which is not in my view, and apparently others, a "college" in the first place. But apparently it is a great place to get some form of education while in PRISON. Check the website/link again. Also, the tuition is not 3 times greater than a US citizen, it is 3 times greater then a resident, and double that of a non-resident. I have heard of some colleges requireing foreing students to live in their dorm accomadations. They place this requirement on foriengers because they usually do not have cars, drivers license, care insurance etc etc etc. So they just "make it earsier on them" and mandate living on campus. (A fairly common practice and they do charge more due to this) What Wally World does, I have no idea, I don't keep track of community colleges (caugh)

Apparently you didn't read the website well enough. May be you should be reading the website again. The college "maintained" a facility in prison to educate prisoners. I don't know where you came from but educating prisoners is an excellent idea. The prisoners will eventually be able to contribute to soceity. Apparently they don't do that where you lived.

Back on topic, in accordance to you posts, if the US or UK charges international students higher tuition than local residents than it's accepted and "fairly common practice", but, if Thailand charges higher entrance fee than local residents, it's considered "RACISM"?..Yeahh that make sense. If it's good for one than it's good for the others.

ALL I'm saying is that using the race card in this discussion is absolutely pathetic. It has everything to do with Economics Economics Economics....

Moderators - just when do these stupid flaming threads get closed down? Do you think anyone but the warring posters are even interested in this rubbish? Or can they go on forever until they mention something inimical to your TV's busines interests? There is a natural life to these threads and you should be able to spot them when they die.

Moderators - just when do these stupid flaming threads get closed down? Do you think anyone but the warring posters are even interested in this rubbish? Or can they go on forever until they mention something inimical to your TV's busines interests? There is a natural life to these threads and you should be able to spot them when they die.

They closed a post of mine that opposed the 'way it is' attitude for farangs and expats getting a ride on the backs of poverty wages for the Thais.

If I am standing in line at an attraction and there are Thais who make $100 to $200 per month, I am glad they can get a reduced a price and thankful I can afford the regular price.

If Thailand is not cheap enough for them, GO TO HAWAII..

I agree with you that Visa should have a NO CRY BABY _ NO CHEAP SKATE policy, but maybe the moderators are in that position themselves.

I do not know about all univ. around the world, but in America, the above statement is not accurate.

There is a price difference between "state and non state" residency students. For example, if I live/reside in Texas, I get cheaper rates than a student from Michigan. This is because I have paid taxes in the state of Texas.

Garbage!

If you're a International student at Walla Walla Community college, Washington, you pay almost 3 times more than resident.

Does this make them RACIST or OPPORTUNISTIC? IAW to all your posts, this makes the US just as racists as Thailand.

Walla Walla? Why do you mention it? Did you live there? I lived there for three years. Small place. Small world. And, if I was an international student, there is no way I'd even want to go to WWCC. I can't imagine any would. A community college? They should just stay in their own country and go to a technical college if they're going to do that.

Did not lived there but I was in Spokane with my ex-girl for a month. Met a lot of nice people though. My college friend lived in Washington so we used to talked frequently about the place.

I mentioned Walla Walla to set example for Dakhar who doesn't seem to realized that there are institutions in the United States who charge foreigners more than local residents. It's nothing new! It happens every where not just Thailand. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM. IT'S ECONOMICS!

You mentioned WALLA WALLA wanke_r to prove a point. Which is not in my view, and apparently others, a "college" in the first place. But apparently it is a great place to get some form of education while in PRISON. Check the website/link again. Also, the tuition is not 3 times greater than a US citizen, it is 3 times greater then a resident, and double that of a non-resident. I have heard of some colleges requireing foreing students to live in their dorm accomadations. They place this requirement on foriengers because they usually do not have cars, drivers license, care insurance etc etc etc. So they just "make it earsier on them" and mandate living on campus. (A fairly common practice and they do charge more due to this) What Wally World does, I have no idea, I don't keep track of community colleges (caugh)

Apparently you didn't read the website well enough. May be you should be reading the website again. The college "maintained" a facility in prison to educate prisoners. I don't know where you came from but educating prisoners is an excellent idea. The prisoners will eventually be able to contribute to soceity. Apparently they don't do that where you lived.

Back on topic, in accordance to you posts, if the US or UK charges international students higher tuition than local residents than it's accepted and "fairly common practice", but, if Thailand charges higher entrance fee than local residents, it's considered "RACISM"?..Yeahh that make sense. If it's good for one than it's good for the others.

ALL I'm saying is that using the race card in this discussion is absolutely pathetic. It has everything to do with Economics Economics Economics....

Yes, I have seen international students get charged more (in the past) but again that was due to them getting extra things such as dorms & mandatory health insurance. Do you contend that international students should get free accomadations & health insurance too? Look, I posted a lot of links to REAL colleges (colleges that people have actually heard of) that clearly show, there are NO "special" rates for international students.

Here is another link from Michigan State, another real college, http://admissions.msu.edu/finances/tuition.asp and it clearly backs up what I have been saying.

Your evidence is weak and that is the bottom line. (Community College)

If you want to pay more for the same thing, just because of where you originated from, be my guest.

Garbage!

Yes, I have seen international students get charged more (in the past) but again that was due to them getting extra things such as dorms & mandatory health insurance. Do you contend that international students should get free accomadations & health insurance too? Look, I posted a lot of links to REAL colleges (colleges that people have actually heard of) that clearly show, there are NO "special" rates for international students.

Here is another link from Michigan State, another real college, http://admissions.msu.edu/finances/tuition.asp and it clearly backs up what I have been saying.

Your evidence is weak and that is the bottom line. (Community College)

If you want to pay more for the same thing, just because of where you originated from, be my guest.

Let me break this down to you on an easier format. The tuition expense is right on their website, and it's being practice TODAY: (go look)

resident: $91.80/1 credit

International student: $263.50/ 1 credit

The charges are excluding "dorms & mandatory health insurance". This is a community college. It may not be a "REAL" college to YOU, but, it's accredited and transferable. I agree, it may not be as prestigious as Oxford,Harvard, Yale, but to some people, this is a mean of going to an affordable college. It's also a major cost reduction from any Universities.

You are missing the point! The point being every country in the world has some shape/form of 2 tier pricing policy. It doesn't matter if it's embedded into the cost of tuition or out in the open like POW. It's normal and it's being practice everywhere NOT JUST IN Thailand. Saying that foreigners in Thailand are being charged higher entrance fee because it's RACISM is pathetic. Is it right? of course its not, but, it's also not racism. IT'S ECONOMICS.

Michigan State ~ let see, I went to the Wolverines (Michigan) vs Spartan (Michigan State) football game a few years back, met some fun ladies, got drunk and stayed in the co-ed dormitory of CASE HALL, got laid and continued to partied with my friends at State as often I was able to while attending University of Michigan. So there's no need for you to give me lectures about the so called "REAL" college/Uni. :o

Michigan State ~ let see, I went to the Wolverines (Michigan) vs Spartan (Michigan State) football game a few years back, met some fun ladies, got drunk and stayed in the co-ed dormitory of CASE HALL, got laid and continued to partied with my friends at State as often I was able to while attending University of Michigan. So there's no need for you to give me lectures about the so called "REAL" college/Uni.

If that is your extent of a college experience, your views make more since now.

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/visitor_in...ation/price.htm

Thought go and visit there then log on to their web site looking for price and found this scam.

Different price in Thai and in English.

Farang Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

Farang kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

And more than that they're trying to hide it by print the Thai price in Thai words and not in numbers.

Didn't realize that a respected place like paragon will act like a stall in the market... but I guess they're all the same...

You EXAGGERATED what the sign actually said. NOT 1 WORD ON THAT SIGN SAID ANYTHING OF "FARANG"

It said:

Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

I don't see any of you whiners complaining about Universities in the US charging international students 3 times more than the local residents. :o

The statement regarding charging international students 3 time is MORONIC. There is no SUCH THING. It is strictly a matter of in state or out of state tuition. BOTTOM LINE END OF STORRY. If you don't know this, than obviously you never laid a foot on a college campus. A person from TEXAS will be required to pay the same tuition fees as an international student if the college is in Michigan, Lousiana, Vermont, Virginia, Montana etc etc. If the student is from Texas and wants to attend a college within Texas, then the studen will be required to pay IN STATE tuition fees, which are much less than OUT OF STATE FEES.

BUT if you want to bring up US college as a topic. Did you know international students.... students that have never paid a single dime in taxes are illegible for schollarships?

love it- well done! anther moron outed

I'm at a loss to understand on what basis people who object to being discriminated against can be regarded as 'pathetic losers'

If, on the other hand, one was to refer to people who accept being discriminated against as pathetic losers I might be inclined to agree.

What goes on in a guys head when he feels the need to justify the actions of others discriminating against him is beyond me.

By all means, bend over and be shafted, if that is your particular pleasure in life.

This is the classic disease of trying to be more Thai then the Thais. In order to self justify their ability to live in Thailand, they excuse all manner of things the Thais do to foreigners which the normal person finds abhorant and unacceptable. This eventually leads to self denial that there is anything wrong with the system which, as you so eloquently put it, allows them to "bend over and be shafted" whilst retaining a smile and actually ask to get screwed over and over and over.

Sad, very sad.

Michigan State ~ let see, I went to the Wolverines (Michigan) vs Spartan (Michigan State) football game a few years back, met some fun ladies, got drunk and stayed in the co-ed dormitory of CASE HALL, got laid and continued to partied with my friends at State as often I was able to while attending University of Michigan. So there's no need for you to give me lectures about the so called "REAL" college/Uni.

If that is your extent of a college experience, your views make more since now.

Through all our little debate back and fourth and that's all you understood from it? You need to go back to your "REAL" college and get your money back :o

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/visitor_in...ation/price.htm

Thought go and visit there then log on to their web site looking for price and found this scam.

Different price in Thai and in English.

Farang Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

Farang kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

And more than that they're trying to hide it by print the Thai price in Thai words and not in numbers.

Didn't realize that a respected place like paragon will act like a stall in the market... but I guess they're all the same...

You EXAGGERATED what the sign actually said. NOT 1 WORD ON THAT SIGN SAID ANYTHING OF "FARANG"

It said:

Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

I don't see any of you whiners complaining about Universities in the US charging international students 3 times more than the local residents. :D

The statement regarding charging international students 3 time is MORONIC. There is no SUCH THING. It is strictly a matter of in state or out of state tuition. BOTTOM LINE END OF STORRY. If you don't know this, than obviously you never laid a foot on a college campus. A person from TEXAS will be required to pay the same tuition fees as an international student if the college is in Michigan, Lousiana, Vermont, Virginia, Montana etc etc. If the student is from Texas and wants to attend a college within Texas, then the studen will be required to pay IN STATE tuition fees, which are much less than OUT OF STATE FEES.

BUT if you want to bring up US college as a topic. Did you know international students.... students that have never paid a single dime in taxes are illegible for schollarships?

love it- well done! anther moron outed

mo⋅ron

   /ˈmɔrɒn, ˈmoʊr-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mawr-on, mohr-] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

2. Psychology. a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

Indeed an excellent description of yourself since you had nothing constructive to add to these posts. Good job :o