Holidays, Common Practice For Thais

What is the common practice when it comes to christmas holidays here in Thailand.

It is probably common that thai employees gets a holiday for christmas, but how many days are common? 1 week? 2 weeks?

And around what days? 24th until the 7th of Jan?

What is the common practice when it comes to christmas holidays here in Thailand.

It is probably common that thai employees gets a holiday for christmas, but how many days are common? 1 week? 2 weeks?

2 weeks Xmas holiday? Thais are lucky to have 2 weeks (10 days) altogether for entire year.

Xmas does not exist. Ordinary working day (as is in Japan).

Do you celebrate Buddha's birthday in your country?

Thanks for answers, i guess the non-christmas holidays would apply for thais working for thais, but is it not pretty common thais working for farang companies would expect to get a few days off for christmas?

And to the regular bitter members (Cobalt60, garyh, etc), please spare me the bitter wiseass comments (which makes no sense anyway), go do something creative instead, i promise you, you will be much happier with your life.

Thanks for answers, i guess the non-christmas holidays would apply for thais working for thais, but is it not pretty common thais working for farang companies would expect to get a few days off for christmas?

And to the regular bitter members (Cobalt60, garyh, etc), please spare me the bitter wiseass comments (which makes no sense anyway), go do something creative instead, i promise you, you will be much happier with your life.

The replies make no sense because you are living in another reality some where other than Thailand.

Thai people working in other countries don't get all the Thai holidays, why would a the reverse apply? Will you ask the same about easter? Your in Thailand now not farangland.

Ask a stupid question you have to take replies you get.

Edited by garyh

The replies make no sense because you are living in another reality some where other than Thailand.

Thai people working in other countries don't get all the Thai holidays, why would a the reverse apply? Will you ask the same about easter? Your in Thailand now not farangland.

Ask a stupid question you have to take replies you get.

Gee, where does all these negative bitter thaivisa people come from?

Yep, new years eve and new years day are the norm for most companies.

I guess this applies for thai owned companies, but what about farang owned?

I work for an MNC and the Thai employees dont get any time off for Xmas....this time of year, new years eve and new years day only

Its business as usual, Xmas its not a recognised holiday in Thailand.

You have to keep in mind that Thailand is a country with one of the highest number of public holidays in world...

I work for an MNC and the Thai employees dont get any time off for Xmas....this time of year, new years eve and new years day only

You have to keep in mind that Thailand is a country with one of the highest number of public holidays in world...

There are a huge number of public holidays. I loved it when I was an employee but when I became an employer I felt I was paying for a four day week!

Dont think of the reply as negative, more educational :o

Agreed, dont think either your reply or garyh's was negative in anyway, think you where stating the obvious.. :D

Thailand = Buddist country...why would Xmas be celebrated as an official holiday ?

Agreed, dont think either your reply or garyh's was negative in anyway, think you where stating the obvious.. :D

Thailand = Buddist country...why would Xmas be celebrated as an official holiday ?

Thank you for support, if the message is correct but not what the OP wants to hear why is it taken as negative.

Might I suggest to ayayay find a copy of the book Culture Shock Thailand it might help you get your head around the local culture, or am I being negative again?

Well, if if the buddist new year is in April, and some thais still get holiday off for a few days around christian new years eve, i guess my question is still valid.

dam_n, i already spent 4 minutes arguing and explaining myself to these bitter wiseass dudes.

Nevertheless, Soutpeel, thanks for your answer.

There are a huge number of public holidays. I loved it when I was an employee but when I became an employer I felt I was paying for a four day week!

So. how much holiday do you give your thai staff around christmas/new years? :o

Bitter and wiseass :o:D Its a pity you dont have a wiseass, if you did you would maybe get the concept that christmas is meaningless to those that are not christian and is only used by Bangkok shopping malls to get some western revenue , but its not a holiday.

I dont seem to get any Thai holidays off when I am working in the UK. But I accept it without complaining.

Edited by Cobalt60

Well, if if the buddist new year is in April, and some thais still get holiday off for a few days around christian new years eve, i guess my question is still valid.

dam_n, i already spent 4 minutes arguing and explaining myself to these bitter wiseass dudes.

Christian new years eve...is not Christian, I believe its root is paganism in Western Europe.

The April Thai festival, I believe is not Buddist new year, its a festival for the oncoming rainy season for the rice growing season.

In Thailand, the Farangs working who take Xmas off are actually taking the days off from their annual leave days.

As another poster has pointed out, putting xmas trees up, etc etc in Thailand is a marketing ploy for Farangs visiting

Christian new years eve...is not Christian, I believe its root is paganism in Western Europe.

The April Thai festival, I believe is not Buddist new year, its a festival for the oncoming rainy season for the rice growing season.

About new years eve, i think it is a gregorian/western tradition, but lets not get into the details about that.

In Thailand, the Farangs working who take Xmas off are actually taking the days off from their annual leave days.

Ok, but i am still curious about if it is common for thais working in farang owned companies if they get any holidays around christmas.

Your question has already been answered...No... its not common for Thai;s working in "Farang owned" companies, incidently, what do you define as farang owned anyway ?, Other than Amity agreement owned companies..ie US owners, all Ltd companies in Thailand are Thai owned anyway on 51/49% ownership

Edited by Soutpeel

My company is American owned, 12 days holidays a year for Thai staff and Xmas dos not exist.

Songkran, they take 1 week off, usually.

What makes you think New Year is a christian holiday? In case you have not noticed the entire world does not revolve around your beliefes. Your question is not valid and you still ask, if you where a bit more wise you would not need to ask these questions let alone keep asking.

Your question has already been answered...No... its not common for Thai;s working in "Farang owned" companies, incidently, what do you define as farang owned anyway ?, Other than Amity agreement owned companies..ie US owners, all Ltd companies in Thailand are Thai owned anyway on 51/49% ownership

*sigh* if you did not know, that is of course the regular way you would set up a company as a farang, having the thais "own" the company, but not usually having much to say when it comes to actually direct and manage the company, so when i say farang owned, i mean, owned in the regular way a farang would own/be a part of the company. And yes, i know americans have this special privilege when it comes to this.

I think you understood what i meant, but not sure why you want to make this a big deal, maybe you are friends with the other bitter guys in this thread, anyway, not going to spend hours throwing dirt on the bitter/negative/wiseass guys in here, i already spend too much time trying to respond to some of these keyboard warriors in here.

Anyway, i appreciate your and some of the other replies.

Edited by ayayay

My company is American owned, 12 days holidays a year for Thai staff and Xmas dos not exist.

Ok, great, this is interesting, this is exactly what i was wondering about. Thank you!

You say 12 days off, which 5 days goes to songkran, what is the other 7 days? Can they take those off whenever they want? I assume you will still give them the regular public holidays off, such as all of those buddah days etc?

*sigh* if you did not know, that is of course the regular way you would set up a company as a farang, having the thais "own" the company, but not usually having much to say when it comes to actually direct and manage the company, so when i say farang owned, i mean, owned in the regular way a farang would own/be a part of the company. And yes, i know americans have this special privilege when it comes to this.

I think you understood what i meant, but not sure why you want to make this a big deal, maybe you are friends with the other bitter guys in this thread, anyway, not going to spend hours throwing dirt on the bitter/negative/wiseass guys in here, i already spend too much time trying to respond to some of these keyboard warriors in here.

Anyway, i appreciate your and some of the other replies.

*sigh* I gave you the answer and now you are calling me bitter/negative/wiseass as well....personally think you are trying to be a wiseass....you are being given the answers and either dont want to accept the answer or cant comprehend the answers given...

The 12 days referred to TTM gave are on top of the public holidays, because public holidays are not part of someones annual leave entitlement.

Ok, great, this is interesting, this is exactly what i was wondering about. Thank you!

You say 12 days off, which 5 days goes to songkran, what is the other 7 days? Can they take those off whenever they want? I assume you will still give them the regular public holidays off, such as all of those buddah days etc?

Public holidays are, of course, observed. Songkran brings 2 days itself. What they do with the rest is their business, but for sure they give no flying <deleted> about Xmas and time around it.

Why would anyone waste their holidays on worst time of the year: schools have no break except Jan 1, the weather is cold (seen Thais shivering at 18C?), water is cold, the festivities belong to another world...