Pastrami Sandwich

bbahngdori

I am craving for a nice thick pastrami sandwich. I was desperate so I went to Subway but they don't even carry the pastrami. Is there a really good deli in Bangkok? Please help!!!!!!

Now you have my mouth watering as well.

I hope someone comes through with a place to buy one (or two, if I am really hungry!).

I have heard that there is a good NY style deli somewhere close to nana, but cannot confirm. I grew up in Montreal, so a nice thick smoked meat on rye with mustard is one of the things I miss most from home!

There is a decent sandwich shop at the Marriot near Nana, but it is nothing like a decent deli. The unusual for Thailand meat is very low quality (pastrami, roast beef), but regular stuff like chicken and ham is fine.

I haven't tried it myself yet... But the Terrace restaurant at the Landmark Hotel on Suk Road near Soi 6 is reputed to have a very good (authentic), but a bit expensive, pastrami sandwich. There have been other posts and threads on the same subject. You can see many comments re it here in the threads on TV.

I am craving for a nice thick pastrami sandwich. I was desperate so I went to Subway but they don't even carry the pastrami. Is there a really good deli in Bangkok? Please help!!!!!!

try Eurogourmet bistro in Ekamai or via ChefsXP for the extraordinal Reuben or just PM JohnBKK and ask how to get one

:o

The New York Deli at Ploenchit center, close to Nana, closed quite a while back. I can confirm that the Reuben at the Landmark Terrace Cafe is excellent. It's one of the things we try to eat every trip to Bangkok.

As a longtime fan of the Terrace Cafe, I must report since new chefs / f&b manager took over, it aint was it used to be.

Not only do things take forever now to get, they have changed the daily lunch set menus to include many breaded / fried type dishes including a pork chop, chicken kiev and other cheapish alternatives to the fish.

The chicken kiev I ordered last week looked and tasted like it came from Chernobyl - totally un-edible. Couldn't it even cut through it - it was that overfried.

Have not tried the reuben under the new management but not hopeful at this point.

try Eurogourmet bistro in Ekamai or via ChefsXP for the extraordinal Reuben or just PM JohnBKK and ask how to get one

Reubens are great, but they are made with corned beef, not pastrami.

I went to the Terrace to try their pastrami but they only had Rueben and it was very disappointing.

It had couple of slices of meat, if you can call it that, and russian dressing wasn't up to the par either.

In L.A. we have a place call Langer's that has a thick juicy slab of pastami with fresh baked rye bread.

That's what I was craving for.

Well, I guess I am not in L.A. anymore......

Reubens are great, but they are made with corned beef, not pastrami.

In Thailand, they seem to be made with either one. I don't even know what good pastrami tastes like as I never tried it in the US, but I have feeling that there is no such thing as good pastrami in Thailand.

We have regulars comming in from across Bangkok for our Reuben - after initial smal problems with too little sauerkraut or mustard we have it down to the point now.

Thin sliced home baked Rye Bread with a good amount of mustard (you can choose US or Dijon) sauerkraut lots and lots of corned beef from our own production (we supply a number of 5 star Hotels with corned beef bsides a lot of other stuff) and all that for about 260.00 baht - I have been told by customers that that is the best deal in BKK.

The difference is that pastrami is smoked and one uses cooked instead of smoked corned beef for a Reuben. For January I have Pastrami on my shcedule and we will introduce it at the Bistro.

You can also order via chefsxp

We have regulars comming in from across Bangkok for our Reuben - after initial smal problems with too little sauerkraut or mustard we have it down to the point now.

Thin sliced home baked Rye Bread with a good amount of mustard (you can choose US or Dijon) sauerkraut lots and lots of corned beef from our own production (we supply a number of 5 star Hotels with corned beef bsides a lot of other stuff) and all that for about 260.00 baht - I have been told by customers that that is the best deal in BKK.

The difference is that pastrami is smoked and one uses cooked instead of smoked corned beef for a Reuben. For January I have Pastrami on my shcedule and we will introduce it at the Bistro.

Fat or lean (I hope fat)...

I went to the Terrace to try their pastrami but they only had Rueben and it was very disappointing.

It had couple of slices of meat, if you can call it that, and russian dressing wasn't up to the par either.

In L.A. we have a place call Langer's that has a thick juicy slab of pastami with fresh baked rye bread.

That's what I was craving for.

Well, I guess I am not in L.A. anymore......

As a follow up, I sometimes buy the pre-made sandwhiches etc inside the Terrace as they are (were) quick and pretty good value for 130 baht or so.

Today I picked of a smoked chicken kaiser roll which consisted of the following.

A large kaiser roll, two pieces of tomato, one piece of lettuce, a few small onions and a dressing of some kind.

Did I forget to mention the chicken? A few tiny pieces (about 5mm thick) of chicken breast (not enough to make it across the whole kaiser roll side to side) with the above condiments is not really value anymore. Before it was brimming with chicken but like the other meals there recently, it seems that pure profit is replacing what the Landmark was known for over the years, very good food if but a little dear but overall worth it.

Sad to say, but Subway is looking like a better alternative.

Fat or lean (I hope fat)...

:o for the best flavor and juicyness some of the soft fat needs to be left on, not to worry,

John

p.s. expect it by early January

• 1 month later...

Being a New yorker, I can honestly tell you....there are some tasty Pastrami types of cured beef...the problem that differs it from a Tri-State Area Pastrami (I'm including the NYC suburbs ) here in Bkk . ,is usually the Pastrami is cured of a meat termed silverside not Brisket of Beef....its practically fat free , no waste - no Taste.....you need a slightly fatty brisket ,if too much fat, you can always trim it up a bit....a true Pastrami on Rye should carry enough meat ,that even if it has some fat and you clean it from your order on the table, you'll still have plenty of lean & juicy meat.

Also , I really don't consider French's yellow mustard usable for anything but my Southern Aunt'from Norfolk,Virginia and her recipe for potato salad !

For those of you who appreciate Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard , you'll have to get the French's Deli Style Spicy Brown Mustard ( Its really almost an exact copy in taste ) which is very substitutable for Gulden's.....Dijon lovers are fine with the few types about , even the French's copy Dijon is good but Pass the Grey Poupon ,please !!!

Do you have pastrami on your menu yet? I checked ChefsXP and so far it's not on the menu.

• 1 month later...
The chicken kiev I ordered last week looked and tasted like it came from Chernobyl - totally un-edible. Couldn't it even cut through it - it was that overfried.

Have not tried the reuben under the new management but not hopeful at this point.

I wouldn't be back under any circumstances if served a meal like that.

There seems to be a tolerance of poor quality in Bangkok, much more so than other major cities.