Travelling In Chiang Mai

RUTH888

We never been to Chiang Mai before and hope to spend a couple of days there. Have a child who is 13 and thus want to make sure he is not bored. Heard of the elephant farm and water rafting. What is it like? Can we book everything when we get there? Which travel agent would you recommend? We also need hotel recommendation. Is it worth staying in the centre or out of town? What are the places like? What else is worth visiting there?

Please help

If your son loves to play Tarzan for one day then The Flight of the Gibbon (a rainforest canopy ecotour) might be a worthy daytrip.

They have build several platforms high up in the canopy where you glide along cables from one platform to the other, while on a safety line and under close supervision of two guides all the time.

It is located approximately 37 km from Chiang Mai at the village of Mae Kompong on the edge of a beautiful national park.

You can go there as a one-day trip or stay overnight.

Check out their website www.treetopasia.com and for more info: http://www.ecospace.cc/travel/rainforest-c...y-tour-0108.htm You can book thorugh their website.

It seems that the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre in Lampang is worth a visit. More information on the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre: http://www.tatnews.org/others/1785.asp

Another Camp recommended is Mae Sa Elephant Camp http://www.maesaelephantcamp.com/ and their mahout training courses: http://www.maesaelephantcamp.com/mahout.html Also here you can make reservation online.

Have you also looked at the pinned thread “days out’ already? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Days-t8171.h...64#entry1956964

RUTH888,

My family and I live in Mae Rim, a district 15-km north of the city's center and quite close to many of the favored attractions. You can book all local tours and attractions after you arrive at your hotel and they generally all have tour desks to assist you in doing so. There are some pricey, but fancy accommodations out in the Mae Rim area (such as the Mandarin Oriental) but to be honest I believe you would have more fun by staying downtown along or near Chang Klan Road and next to the Ping River that bisects CM. There are lodgings for all price ranges and you can find these and compare them easily on the Web. Those that are closer to the Night Market and Galae Bazaar (opposite one another) would be preferential as there is more to see and do without resorting to lengthy hikes. Another locale popular for Oriental visitors and students is the trendy Nimmanhaemin Road area and also the Pang Suan Kaew (PSK) reas--close to one another. PSK also has a couple of hotels and they are next to a huge shopping center with the same name. All in all, I would still recommend the venues along the Ping River...much more to see and do, with nice riverside dining close by. As for tour suggestions, the Mae Sa Elephant Camp is a great experience and can easily take a half-day or longer, depending on how 'deep' you want to immerse yourselves in elephant lore. Be sure to bring mosquito spray as the bugs out here can be a bit frustrating at times. There is also a new tiger resort very close to Mae Rim that everybody loves...you can lie down next to the adult tigers with no problem as they are very tame (or medicated; I am not sure which...they are always sleepy!). The Mae Rim to Samoeng road passes by several other interesting attractions--snake farm, monkey farm, go-kart driving experience, waterfalls etc. There is also a jungle walk experience east of the city where you can walk among the treetops on suspended bridges and using harnesses that ride along elevated cables. Don't forget the Royal Floral Project 5-7 km south of the city along the Water Irrigation Canal Road as well as the Chiang Mai Night Safari. Another very scenic and worthwhile side trip is up the mountain overlooking the city where you can visit Bhuping Palace (beautiful gardens) and Wat Phra Tat Doi Suthep (mountainside temple and monastery; the iconic symbol of Chiang Mai; a definite must-see). There is a plethora of Thai handicraft shops along the road connecting the city with outlying San Khampaeng, but the real must-see locale in my opinion would be in Baan Tawai--a big complex of crafts shops and cottage industries located 15-km south of the airport in the Hang Dong area. We purchased most of our home furnishings, wall art, statutary and decorations from Baan Tawai as their selection and pricing is far better than in the city. It is a treasure trove of goods and all conveniently located on one little district. This would require a full day to do it justice and there are good cafes and restaurants down there as well.

It would be best to hire a van with driver on a daily basis to take you wherever you wanted to go in and around the province. The drivers all are intimately familiar with the city and the surrounding area and this would be preferable to using a metered taxi or dedicated "Baht Bus" which are rather noisy and uncomfortable. Additionally many van drivers speak enough English to make conversing not so frustrating...whereas taxi drivers and baht bus drivers usually speak no English or a few halting expressions only. I hope this helps you and that you enjoy a great vacation to the "Rose of the North" as our city is also called.

Edited by Fore Man

RUTH888,

My family and I live in Mae Rim, a district 15-km north of the city's center and quite close to many of the favored attractions.

You can book all local tours and attractions after you arrive at your hotel and they generally all have tour desks to assist you in doing so. There are some pricey, but fancy accommodations out in the Mae Rim area (such as the Mandarin Oriental) but to be honest I believe you would have more fun by staying downtown along or near Chang Klan Road and next to the Ping River that bisects CM.

There are lodgings for all price ranges and you can find these and compare them easily on the Web. Those that are closer to the Night Market and Galae Bazaar (opposite one another) would be preferential as there is more to see and do without resorting to lengthy hikes.

Another locale popular for Oriental visitors and students is the trendy Nimmanhaemin Road area and also the Pang Suan Kaew (PSK) reas--close to one another.

PSK also has a couple of hotels and they are next to a huge shopping center with the same name. All in all, I would still recommend the venues along the Ping River...much more to see and do, with nice riverside dining close by.

As for tour suggestions, the Mae Sa Elephant Camp is a great experience and can easily take a half-day or longer, depending on how 'deep' you want to immerse yourselves in elephant lore.

Be sure to bring mosquito spray as the bugs out here can be a bit frustrating at times.

There is also a new tiger resort very close to Mae Rim that everybody loves...you can lie down next to the adult tigers with no problem as they are very tame (or medicated; I am not sure which...they are always sleepy!).

The Mae Rim to Samoeng road passes by several other interesting attractions--snake farm, monkey farm, go-kart driving experience, waterfalls etc.

There is also a jungle walk experience east of the city where you can walk among the treetops on suspended bridges and using harnesses that ride along elevated cables.

Don't forget the Royal Floral Project 5-7 km south of the city along the Water Irrigation Canal Road as well as the Chiang Mai Night Safari. Another very scenic and worthwhile side trip is up the mountain overlooking the city where you can visit Bhuping Palace (beautiful gardens) and Wat Phra Tat Doi Suthep (mountainside temple and monastery; the iconic symbol of Chiang Mai; a definite must-see).

There is a plethora of Thai handicraft shops along the road connecting the city with outlying San Khampaeng, but the real must-see locale in my opinion would be in Baan Tawai--a big complex of crafts shops and cottage industries located 15-km south of the airport in the Hang Dong area.

We purchased most of our home furnishings, wall art, statutary and decorations from Baan Tawai as their selection and pricing is far better than in the city.

It is a treasure trove of goods and all conveniently located on one little district. This would require a full day to do it justice and there are good cafes and restaurants down there as well.

It would be best to hire a van with driver on a daily basis to take you wherever you wanted to go in and around the province. The drivers all are intimately familiar with the city and the surrounding area and this would be preferable to using a metered taxi or dedicated "Baht Bus" which are rather noisy and uncomfortable.

Additionally many van drivers speak enough English to make conversing not so frustrating...whereas taxi drivers and baht bus drivers usually speak no English or a few halting expressions only.

I hope this helps you and that you enjoy a great vacation to the "Rose of the North" as our city is also called.

On a different topic and forum on ThaiVisaDotCom you are "skyman" when quoting you. What gives? :D Change of name :D

Below is the Link Pun intended BTW :wai:

I suggest that you seek a local travel agent where you live and see what they can do. I have been using All-Season Travel in Pattaya for several years and they have always given me excellent service and competitive pricing. I do this from the other end of the country up in Chiang Mai via email and phone and it has worked well. PM me if you need contact data.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Flight-Bkk-L...St-t227647.html

Kan Win :o

P.S. this edited version is much better for me eyes and a big thank you for your post BTW :D 'Fore Man' and 'skyman' :D

<snip> deleted for brevity

On a different topic and forum on ThaiVisaDotCom you are "skyman" when quoting you. What gives? :D Change of name :D

Below is the Link Pun intended BTW :wai:

I suggest that you seek a local travel agent where you live and see what they can do. I have been using All-Season Travel in Pattaya for several years and they have always given me excellent service and competitive pricing. I do this from the other end of the country up in Chiang Mai via email and phone and it has worked well. PM me if you need contact data.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Flight-Bkk-L...St-t227647.html

Kan Win :o

P.S. this edited version is much better for me eyes and a big thank you for your post BTW :D 'Fore Man' and 'skyman' :D

Yep, I changed nicknames yesterday via Admin. Wanted something to align closer to my avatar!

Thank you to all who gave me great ideas. Lastly, how do I find a van driver and what can I expect to pay for a day ?

You can rent a van and ask for a driver (about 4oo baht per day) or you can look herehttp://chiangmainews.com/classifieds_job/ I usually see a couple of ads here