Asleep At 10...

paddy

I'm staying in Hua Hin for 2 weeks in January and am wondering is it true that the town effectively shuts down at 10pm!

From what I've read on the web, Hua Hin is a sleepy town (which is fine with me) but on one travel forum it was said that outside of a few bars there is nothing after 10pm. It was also stated that if you are coming for 'romantic moonlight dinners under the stars' you've come to the wrong place. Is this true?

I ask because there is so much conflicting reports on the web, more so I would say than for any other destination in Thailand. Hua Hin obviously does not suit everybody.

One last question, there is a lot of talk about the state of the beaches in Hua Hin in relation to other beaches in Thailand. What is the deal, is the beach really 'dirty' and 'smells as bad as the horses on it' and so on...

Looking for re assurances..

Thanks.

I'm not in Hua Hin (happen to pass by once, but that was night) but most of the Thais were saying that the beaches there are better than Pataya and even Phuket. Something like white sands and clear water thing, you know the paradise stuff. (unless they were trying to pull my leg)

About the 10pm thing, i think some of the Hua Hin TV member will comment on that.

Explorer :o

ok, take this with a grain of salt as it has been 6 months since I lived in Hua Hin.

The beaches are nice! but not too many people go in the water. I prefer Dongtan in Jomtien though ... nicer chairs and more of them.

There are some lady bars (and a few boy bars) but no gogo or the like really. A couple of decent discos. If you know the people around you could party non-stop 24/7 but they close the front doors to the bars at regulation time ... and it gets quiet.

There are some great restaurants and places to go around town even late. The Night Market goes late (not the night bazaar). The Tuesday night Mkt is fun and almost 100% Thai usually.

"Rainy days and Mondays" ... ugh ... not shit to do. (and past the bars and beaches not enough to do for a long vacation.)

Even with all the sleaze in Pattaya there's way more to do there. Movie theaters etc etc.

Chok dee!

Well I rolled in at 4am after a heavy night on the sauce last night in HH. You can pretty much party 24/7 here if you know where to go, http://www.huahinafterdark.com has a lot more info about the nightlife.

The beach here isnt the best in Thailand, no clear blue sea, but its not bad either. Some better beaches can be found around 15km south of town at Suan Son and Khao Tao. The horses are there but the beach is big so they're easily avoided.