Suvarnabhumi Pad`s Takeover

I wonder how many of those tourists will ever come back to Thailand.

Most of the people that were already thinking of making a return trip will come back. As time goes by, they will probably think of this as an adventurous, exciting part of their trip, and brag to their friends about their experiences, some will no doubt greatly embellish their part in the whole affair.

Others won't return, but not because of the protest, but because they've already "been there, done that". Not everyone that goes to Thailand automatically decides to keep returning.

No more than I after my most excellent trip to Egypt in '05. Great place, great experience, but now that I've done it, it's not high on my list of future trips. I may go back one day, I may not.

(Oh yeah, I was on a Nile cruise boat when the terrorists bombed Sharm el Shiek. We weren't affected by that incident, and it has no bearing on my decision about whether or not I'll ever go back.

Egyptian tourism took a couple hits when large numbers of tourists were murdered at the Valley of the Queens and a bus load of tourists were murdered elsewhere in the country, but it has rebounded and most of the tourists now don't even know what happened a few short years ago.)

The fortunate thing with this incident at Swampy, was that despite the violence between the reds and yellows, tourists were not involved (other than being inconvenienced). There was little if any damage to the terminal and things were returned to "normal" in a very short time.

Had there been lots of damage, and lots of injuries or deaths to tourists/expats, it would be a different story. As it is, some will have some bad memories and not come back, but again, many of them wouldn't likely have returned any ways.

For a lot of people, a trip to somewhere like Thailand is a "once in a lifetime" deal. That's how I thought of my first trip. I had the opportunity to go, and thought that opportunity may never present itself again so I took it.

Had I gone to Morocco instead, it may very well have been a once in a lifetime trip, especially after I would have found out that "Casablanca" was filmed entirely in Hollywood, and "Joe's American Bar" didn't exist.

I have no doubt Thailand's tourism industry will rebound as well. I keep pointing out Phuket and Krabi as examples. Over 200,000 died in the tsunami, yet a few years later people in Phuket/Krabi are sunning on the same beaches and swimming in the same waters where thousands died not too long ago.

So if the tourists are willing to go back to a place where thousands died, why would they not be willing to go somewhere where some people were "inconvenienced" for a week or so ?

WE ARE

THE MOST

LOVELY

PROTESTERS

BEING BOMBED

SHOT, INJURED

AND KILLED

WE STILL

SIT HERE

TO PROTEST

PEACEFULLY

TO OUST

CORRUPTION

GOVERMENT

Oh yes, most lovely. In the process you shot your country in the foot. At least 5 years to recover economically from the country-wide financial destruction you've caused. Several airlines still refuse to land here because the security is so shoddy. Shame on the thugs with the PAD misnomer. :o

Edited by toptuan

I wonder how many of those tourists will ever come back to Thailand.

Most of the people that were already thinking of making a return trip will come back. ...

Did you ask them all?

I would have, but I had to spend too much time trying to free Bruce Willis, who apparently got stuck in the air-conditioning system while trying to infiltrate the airport (at least that's how Not the Nation reported it. Good thing they left out my heroic actions to not only free the airport, but save Bruce Willis at the same time ! I hate publicity, unless I'm being paid for it !) :o

nice pics, somehow different than tv was showing, those are better to see what was going on inside.

as to the long term effects, we will see - at the moment hundreds of thousands (110k in suvarnabumi and less than that in don muang in a DAY) were affected, people lost money, time, some others are loosing jobs. Surely there would be a lot of anger and bitterness for a long time

Several airlines still refuse to land here because the security is so shoddy. Shame on the thugs with the PAD misnomer. :o

Security was shabby at best at the airport, criminally deficient being a more accurate description. One of the good things that might, just might, come of all this is that the invasion and takeover by PAD should cause the authorities to look most critically at the security aspect of their wonderful hub. What if it had been a couple of busloads of fanatics armed to the teeth and packing large quantities of explosives on their own suicide mission?

You can blame many things on the actions of the PAD but the lack of airport security is not one of them.

What are in the plastic bags?

Anyone else consider that PAD taking their children along is just a means to ensure no 'heavy handed' police action?

Answer:

1. Shit and pee, to throw at invaders

2. Human shields are most effective if they are made up of children.

untitled16.jpg

Loosely translated it says, "We can't fly worth crap, but we love right-wing royalists in power!"

On the other side it says "Lend us billions" we are broke :D

Wrong. The backside says "I just screwed 350,000 customers. MUAHAHAHAHA!" :o

Edited by toptuan