Price For English

jltheart

Does anyone know the average price charged to a customer  for an hour of english conversation at the learning centers in Bangkok ?

Age 3-8

Age  9-15

Age 16-25

Age 25 up    ( if age matters)

Age doesn't matter. If you want individual private lessons they're about 500bht per hour at the language schools. If you want conversation classes in a group, then it's about 160bt per hour, but you'll need to have some english ability already.

I've seen some dubious copycat conversation schools here claiming to charge only 90B an hour for classes... but if you think about that for a moment...

Let's see, maybe 12 students in a good-sized class max, x 90 an hour- 1080B an hour. Out of this, the school has to pay the teacher- what, a minimum good hourly wage should be 300-400? And then keep the rest for overhead, Thai staff salaries, and finally, profit. Either their margins are frighteningly slim, the classes are way overbooked, or (in the case of this school) they're hiring ridiculously inexperienced rookies and screwing them over salary- eventually saw a guy in one of the schools- looked like a high school student, he was so young!

Private individual classes (for yourself, not through a company) should be no less than 600B an hour for one student, with add-ons for distance, travel time, and additional students as appropriate. Tack on another fee upgrade if it's a big company paying for it.

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...
What about that AUA, they say it only costs 60 Baht an hour.

Not ideal from what a friend told me, about 18 in the class and all the  Ramkhamhaeng student guys eyeing her up the whole time, and a crap newbie teacher.

So, your point is; you get what you pay for? This is interesting about the AUA. I know nothing about the school, but I love their library. I have only read their classified ads for hiring. They want a real degree, TEFL/CELTA and experience.

So, your point is; you get what you pay for? This is interesting about the AUA. I know nothing about the school, but I love their library. I have only read their classified ads for hiring. They want a real degree, TEFL/CELTA and experience.

Yes, exactly.

You can pay 60 baht an hour with the chance of a crap teacher and learning little(but having sanook! :o ).

You can pay 700 baht an hour at Berlitz or Inlingua for 1-1 still with the chance of a crap inexperienced noon-qualified teacher. Best thing to do is check out the teacher you are going to get before you pay.

I went for ECC to teach my wife. Great teacher at Siam Square and worked out about 100/hour. Asian teacher too, I must add.

Edited by Neeranam

seems a bit low Griser. When I used to do it, I had a similar price but that was 10+ years ago. I am thinking about doing it again though, but would not travel to a student's house, esp. in Bkk for 500 baht.

If I could get 4 hours in a row on a Sat, I might charge 500 B.