Ideas For Places To Go In Phuket

Tornado

We all know about the beaches, Patong and the usual tourist haunts, but there are quirky places in Phuket that do not get the same press.

What have you seen or done of late that we all might be interested in?

I went to the Metopole Hotel in Phuket Town the other day for my weekly buffet lunch, which is an all you can eat international buffet for around 200 baht. The food is great.

Anyway, as I walked into the lobby I saw the biggest Christmas Tree I have seen here. It truly is quite spectacular. If you get a chance, go and have lunch there and take the kids for a few photos.

Tornado,

Check out the Phuket town Merlin Hotel for top-notch Thai or oil massages; 120 Baht/hour -- considerably cheaper than those offered in beach areas and infinitely better. BTW, no hanky-panky there; this is the real thing, very professional.

Zip down from there towards Lotus via Samkong and eat at the Steak Samkong restaurant. The owner is a well-traveled Thai and speaks good English; international menu and just plain gooooood and cheap!

If you're horny after that meal drive to the Sinthavee Hotel and drill #?.

Check out the beautiful drives off of Nai Yang, Naithon and Bangtao beaches; the road towards Bang Pae waterfall has some spectacular routes (right) after you've gone well past the Bang Pae turnoff.

Take your TG/wife for a special meal to "Home Sweet Home" on the coastal Patong-Kamala road. If you're with a WG though, take her to the airport and send her back home..... then go there and eat alone ... just kidding!

As a seasoned expat you've probably done these things already. Don't forget to breakfast at least once at Karon Cafe in Karon Beach. 125 Baht Buffet and the coffee is terrific.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

:o Check out "The Tube" bar in Kata Beach

they have a great 150 baht BBQ buffet on Frday nights

at 7.30

A surfer from Sweden named Mike, and his lovely

wife and kids host the evening, surf movies are shown

and expect an expat bunch of surfers,sailors, and other

cool folks

its on Khok Tanod rd..

see ya there..

The saturday BBQ at Don's restaurant in Nai Harn is a must do. A late night walk along the Chalong pier is pleasant. When the tide is in you can often see large fish feeding under the spotlights. And if you like pizza, ravioli and such the little italian place in Rawai is superb.

There is a new lookout tower that is worth a visit on the hill off the road toward the deep sea port. A little challenging to find but on a clear day the view is spectacular. Usually you will have the place to yourself since no one goes there yet.

And everyone should check the Green Man Pub in Chalong at least once. The owner is usually there after 6 pm .He is a charming an gregarious fellow who makes a mean martini!

What have you seen or done of late that we all might be interested in?

If you enjoy driving around (it's my hobby) I have a section called The Best Island Drives - though the very best ones are on the north of the island (where I live). The URL is http://phuketdelight.com/Best%20Island%20Drives.htm

Ignore the south of the island drives as I am much less knowledgeable of that area. I'd recommend the Mission Hills loop, northeast loop and the Trisara loop.

Also have a section on birdwatching at Laguna Golf Course at

http://phuketdelight.com/Bird%20Watching.htm

You'd be surprised at what you'd find.

Enjoy

Ted

• 4 months later...

Yeah, Torny, I agree. I was at Silk about a week ago. Food and drink were great, although the service let the place down a little - just not enough staff about. Not cheap, but worth a treat.

For a different experience, has anyone been to the wooden bar/restaurant (I think it's called the Reggae Bar or similar) built into the hillside on the west coast coming north from the Cape (complicated enough, or what)? It's decked out with Bob Marley/cannabis/Jamaican flags and banners, plays reggae music and you can often find the waiters sitting about playing reggae on their guitars. Watch the sunset from there - its well worth it.

For a different experience, has anyone been to the wooden bar/restaurant (I think it's called the Reggae Bar or similar) built into the hillside on the west coast coming north from the Cape (complicated enough, or what)? It's decked out with Bob Marley/cannabis/Jamaican flags and banners, plays reggae music and you can often find the waiters sitting about playing reggae on their guitars. Watch the sunset from there - its well worth it.

I know the place. Actually, there are two bars right next to each other, but I can't remember the names of either of them Like you say, great for a sunset beer or two.

I also like the restaurant at Laem Promthep, near the lighthhouse. Good food and a great view.

djmm

I know the place. Actually, there are two bars right next to each other, but I can't remember the names of either of them Like you say, great for a sunset beer or two.

I also like the restaurant at Laem Promthep, near the lighthhouse. Good food and a great view.

djmm

It is just past the Kata viewpoint on the road from Rawai/Nai Harn to Kata.