Motorbike To Laos?

kalbo123

Is it possible to take your motorbike in to Laos and do you need a special papers of any kind?

Does anyone have any experience doing that?

apparently no problem. I ran into a neighbor of mine who took his all over Laos and no hassles. Forget about China though. Might be tougher for larger bikes but a 100 to 120 cc seems a lock.

Is it possible to take your motorbike in to Laos and do you need a special papers of any kind?

Does anyone have any experience doing that?

apparently no problem. I ran into a neighbor of mine who took his all over Laos and no hassles. Forget about China though. Might be tougher for larger bikes but a 100 to 120 cc seems a lock.

No, there is no problem with larger bikes. As suggested previously, GT-Rider has a whole section on touring in Laos and on crossing borders. Been there on various motorcycles many times without a hitch. That said, one CANNOT cross into Laos on a Thai registered bike at Nong Khai / Vientiane Friendship Bridge. The most popular crossing is now Chiang Khong to Huay Xai. The newly finished road from there is quite good.

thanks :o ... i meant the bike... but of course it has to be registered. was a stupid question.

Sorry, I was still thinking website. Yes, the motorcycle must have a valid registration and you must show them your book. If it is not in your name you must have a letter from the owner giving you permission to take it into Laos. Sometimes they will give you a hard time and not let you in if it is not in your name however. Just the luck of the draw.

If you enter Laos at Huay Xai, take the slow boat to Luang Prabang, then ride to Vientiane.....can you EXIT (my emphasis) Laos at the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai? Bike current reg, insurance, plated, 5 yr Thai license, etc.

Just wondering.

If you enter Laos at Huay Xai, take the slow boat to Luang Prabang, then ride to Vientiane.....can you EXIT (my emphasis) Laos at the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai? Bike current reg, insurance, plated, 5 yr Thai license, etc.

Just wondering.

There is really no reason to take the boat any longer. The new highway is in excellent condition. Luang Nam Tha can be reached in a matter of a few hours, whereas before it was an all day haul for experienced riders only. One day from Huay Xai to Luang Pra Bang is being done regularly.

I don't want to sound like I am shamelessly plugging the website, but there are many photos of the new road and surrounds in various Laos posts.

One can exit from Vientiane, Laos at the Friendship Bridge with a Thai registered bike, but as stated above, cannot enter. When you leave Thailand from Chiang Khong you must tell them you will be returning via Nong Khai.

People are doing it on everything from CBR125's to 998 Ducatis now.

Go for it Mc! :D

edit: Here is a photo of part of the new road from the border at Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha. Think you can handle it Mc? :o

Full report= Visit MY Website

nongkiew205.jpg

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Laos is easy,( i did thailand/laos/cambodia ) and a friend of mine has just returned from a trip there and china on a 990 ktm,

China? :o I would be interested in hearing the details of how exactly he did that.

Sounds like you dont beleive me,.his name is roland and he has just left for australia via indonesia,he has done 30000kms in the last 3 months riding here from europe,we rode together for 20000kms, ( i didnt go to china ) but you can email him for details on entry, he did it 100 per cent,..,[email protected]

post-62885-1229132988_thumb.jpg

Edited by imaneggspurt

Laos is easy,( i did thailand/laos/cambodia ) and a friend of mine has just returned from a trip there and china on a 990 ktm,

China? :o I would be interested in hearing the details of how exactly he did that.

Sounds like you dont beleive me,.his name is roland and he has just left for australia via indonesia,he has done 30000kms in the last 3 months riding here from europe,we rode together for 20000kms, ( i didnt go to china ) but you can email him for details on entry, he did it 100 per cent,..,[email protected]

There are many people who would like to ride in China, and many who have tried. Not many who have succeeded. Usually one must be part of a group, go through a maze of paperwork and hire support vehicles and a government supplied guide. All this quite expensive.

I have a friend who did it by buying a Chinese motorcycle through a contact in China and meeting him there to get the motorcycle and the papers. I have met a few others, who through one source or another, managed to ride there but they are few and far between. If your friend was successful I must say congratulations. I am sure there are many riders who would like to know how he did it. He should write his story up on one the m/c adventure sites, if he hasn't already done so.

BTW the admin's will delete that email when they notice it. Probably not a good idea to post your buddies email on an open forum. I appreciate it however and I have copied it and will send him an email.

There are many people who would like to ride in China, and many who have tried. Not many who have succeeded. Usually one must be part of a group, go through a maze of paperwork and hire support vehicles and a government supplied guide. All this quite expensive.

I have a friend who did it by buying a Chinese motorcycle through a contact in China and meeting him there to get the motorcycle and the papers. I have met a few others, who through one source or another, managed to ride there but they are few and far between. If your friend was successful I must say congratulations. I am sure there are many riders who would like to know how he did it. He should write his story up on one the m/c adventure sites, if he hasn't already done so.

BTW the admin's will delete that email when they notice it. Probably not a good idea to post your buddies email on an open forum. I appreciate it however and I have copied it and will send him an email.

He got in on his own,( actually he was with his thai girlfriend ) he is very persuasive/thorough,.( we got into thailand from cambodia on a mountian top market /border,but we had to go back the same way as no visa was available ) he had to get a bus for 10 hours one way and 10 back, he was given a plate with number 1 on it,.he had to get police permission and from that experience he now knows of another border with a police station on it that will issue the permit, he is writing an article on this trip for a belgium motor cycle mag, he is very well known in europe for his trips,.( ps he wont mind me giving out his email as he is a true biker and loves to share his acheivements, which are many ) Edited by imaneggspurt

He got in on his own,( actually he was with his thai girlfriend ) he is very persuasive/thorough,.( we got into thailand from cambodia on a mountian top market /border,but we had to go back the same way as no visa was available ) he had to get a bus for 10 hours one way and 10 back, he was given a plate with number 1 on it,.he had to get police permission and from that experience he now knows of another border with a police station on it that will issue the permit, he is writing an article on this trip for a belgium motor cycle mag, he is very well known in europe for his trips,.( ps he wont mind me giving out his email as he is a true biker and loves to share his acheivements, which are many )

Thanks. I look forward to reading his story (if I can), sounds like quite an adventure.

• 4 weeks later...

hello everybody...

i am joining the conversation... I am upset to hear that it is not possible to enter laos through the thai laos friendship brigde with a thai registered motorbike as that s exactly what i intended to do. any idea as to why?

my travel plan was to ride from nong khai to luang pranbang and back... Does anyone have advice and experience to share about that? how is the road, safety? how long would it take?

Alternatively to crossing the brigde with the motorbike, would it be possible to rent one in vientiane and start from here? any good rental place?

Thanks! :o

hello everybody...

i am joining the conversation... I am upset to hear that it is not possible to enter laos through the thai laos friendship brigde with a thai registered motorbike as that s exactly what i intended to do. any idea as to why?

my travel plan was to ride from nong khai to luang pranbang and back... Does anyone have advice and experience to share about that? how is the road, safety? how long would it take?

Alternatively to crossing the brigde with the motorbike, would it be possible to rent one in vientiane and start from here? any good rental place?

Thanks! :o

There are 8 legal international border crossings between Thailand & Laos.

1. Chiang Khong (T) / Huay Sai (L)

2. Huay Kon (T) / Muang Ngeun (L)

3. Thai Li (T) / Nam Hueng (L), the 2nd Friendship Bridge. This over the Nam Heung river.

4. Nong Khai (T) / Friendship Bridge, Vientiane (L) Mekong river.

5. Bung Kan (T) / Pakxan (L)

6. Mukdahan (T) / Savannakhet (L), the 3rd Friendship Bridge. This one over the Mekong river.

7. Nakhon Phanom (T) / Tha Khek (L)

8. Chong Mek (T) / Vang Tao, Pakse (L)

Only the 2 Friendship Bridges across the Mekong are closed to Thai registered motorbikes wanting enter Laos. You can however exit across the Friendship Bridges.

If you really want to know about crossing borders check out GT Rider here.

If you want to know about the roads check out some of these.

The roads are ok. A friend in Chiang Mai recently went from Cnx - Chiang Khong - Houei Xai - Luang Prabang in a day on a Ducati 998. It's seldom the bike that let's you down - only the rider is not good enough for the bike or roads.

There also plenty of motorcycle rental options in Vientiane. Look here or here.

One of these will work - either riding your own bike in, or renting.

sassienie

one does the same as what one does in thailand.

you sit on it ,

wait 5 minits and offer the first vehicle that can move it 100 baht to take you to the next village where five men will fix it in no time for 200 baht

problem solved !

your 6 quid or 12 dollars lighter : (

dave2

I`ve been tempted for some time to tour Laos on my 200cc Honda Phantom.

What always puts me off is the fear that the bike may break down in the middle of nowhere.

If that happens, what does one do?

Buy a Yamaha and leave your tools at home

• 7 months later...

I tried to take my bike in to Laos via the Friendship bridge at Nong Khai the other day, not knowing that it was restricted. The odd part was that they didn't give me any trouble taking the bike *out* of Thailand, but once I tried to take it in to Laos, I was told that it was impossible. Wish I had found this posting earlier...