2nd Hand Farang Cars- A Good Idea...?

Michaelaway

Ok,

So I'm living here in Pattaya now, and I need to buy a vehicle. At this point, I have narrowed it down to two basic options:

1) Buy a new Honda Jazz on Sukhumvit or

2) Try to somehow find a cheaper, 2nd hand farang-owned car.

So,

Anyone with a great deal on a used something-or-other car, that doesn't have a lot of kilo's, and doesn't eat a lot of petrol, and doesn't hardly ever need servicing; or anyone knows where I can find one...

Please,

Lemme hear from you now.

-Many thanks

Buying a used car is pretty much the same everywhere. Look it over, make an offer if you want to buy it.

Two things stand out:

1) Generalizing, Thais do not maintain vehicles. Drive it til it stops, wire it back together seems to be the norm. You seem to have some awareness of this, since you specified "farang-owned". Farang-owned does not automatically mean "better-maintained", but the chances are better that it has been, I think.

2) Asking prices for used vehicles are ridiculously high here. Many seem to think that they can buy a 700,000 THB vehicle, drive it 10 years (see point #1), and it is still worth 400,000 THB. I have no idea if they are selling used vehicles for anywhere close to what they are asking...but they sure seem to expect a lot.

If the numbers work in your favor, and you have enough cash to make a decent down payment (I would never do less than 25%), I would say go ahead and buy the new car. Especially if you are planning to stay long-term. Old cars can nickel and dime (satang?) you to the poorhouse.

Ok,

So I'm living here in Pattaya now, and I need to buy a vehicle. At this point, I have narrowed it down to two basic options:

So,

Anyone with a great deal on a used something-or-other car, that doesn't have a lot of kilo's, and doesn't eat a lot of petrol, and doesn't hardly ever need servicing; or anyone knows where I can find one...

Please,

Lemme hear from you now.

-Many thanks

Just a few things to be aware of if buying secondhand,Check the Log Book for Number of previous owners and Year first Registered,If they say they have not got the book then say Bye Bye They are lying,Also ask to see the service book and make sure it has been serviced regulary and is stamped with an official stamp from a main dealer,You can easily tell if they are fake stamps they will all look the same and the color of the ink will be the same and probably not dry,Good luck...

Ok,

So,

Please,

Lemme hear from you now.

-Many thanks

Just a few things to be aware of if buying secondhand,Check the Log Book for Number of previous owners and Year first Registered,If they say they have not got the book then say Bye Bye They are lying,Also ask to see the service book and make sure it has been serviced regulary and is stamped with an official stamp from a main dealer,You can easily tell if they are fake stamps they will all look the same and the color of the ink will be the same and probably not dry,Good luck...

GREAT INFO, THANX!

Buying a used car is pretty much the same everywhere. Look it over, make an offer if you want to buy it.

Two things stand out:

1) Generalizing, Thais do not maintain vehicles. Drive it til it stops, wire it back together seems to be the norm. You seem to have some awareness of this, since you specified "farang-owned". Farang-owned does not automatically mean "better-maintained", but the chances are better that it has been, I think.

2) Asking prices for used vehicles are ridiculously high here. Many seem to think that they can buy a 700,000 THB vehicle, drive it 10 years (see point #1), and it is still worth 400,000 THB. I have no idea if they are selling used vehicles for anywhere close to what they are asking...but they sure seem to expect a lot.

If the numbers work in your favor, and you have enough cash to make a decent down payment (I would never do less than 25%), I would say go ahead and buy the new car. Especially if you are planning to stay long-term. Old cars can nickel and dime (satang?) you to the poorhouse.

GREAT INFO, THANX

It's depend on what used car your looking for and how mucht you want to spend. If you want buy a small little Japanese car, like Jazz or Vios, than it's really better to buy a new one. For example a 4 year old Vios (old model) still much over 400'k and for about 150'k more (550 to 600) you'll get a brand new one. Farang owned cars, doesn't mean in better condition. It's depend on the owner. I see many cheap charlie farang who never do any service too, or even their wives drove a 150 times trought all the potholes in Isaan and damaged all suspensions parts, like bushing and shocks. Everything is possibile. If you looking to spend arround 150'k to 200'k you have to consider a 10 year old "non japanese car" or a 12 to 15 year old Japanese Car. Yes we all know prices for used cars are higher , but roadtax, service, repairs and insurance, are penauts in compare to western countries. So if you look around you still beable to find a decent used car for about 200'k and remember: "Better old, but payd".

I thought about this before I bought mine new (D-Max last year) and they were talking daft money for 3 to 5 year old stuff and 1 year old stuff was overpriced I thought.

However, consider my motor. 18 months old, 25k on the clock, serviced at 5k intervals with oil and filter changed. All other checks done, all at main dealer with book stamped and receipts kept. Never used off road or for heavy loads, more as a car with some storage space in the back. When the tracking went out a bit I changed the two front tyres even though I could have changed them around and driven them back in. Got a puncture, didn't plug it, just changed the tyre. Busted the ariel, didn't get a copy, new from Isuzu etc. So what is it worth ?

Well we paid about 800k for it. Might get 600k if we are lucky but more likely high 500s. Now keep it for another 18 months and it will be worth somewhere around 450k and then depreciate about 50k a year for a few years and then not depreciate at all, ever.

It would be great buy for someone. It will have all the service history, preventative maintenance, not worth scrimping on it. Now surely that is a decent second hand motor ?

Would I buy second hand ? Only if I knew the car and the person. I'd never buy from a Thai as they don't take care of them. I've even seen trucks under warranty in Isuzu (where you have to pay for the oil but not labour), asking for some good second hand oil or just to fudge it because they can't pay the Bt700 or so it costs (or won't pay).

If you can't get finance and can't pay for a new one, then consider what you really need. Buying a 200k car won't cost you too much at resale (if you buy right) and you can save for the new one. Or buy mine !

call me sceptical, but i would only buy used from a close personal friend, not even a friend of a friend.

if youre able to afford, go for the new.

that doesnt mean that u cant get a decent used car, but its a gamble.

call me sceptical, but i would only buy used from a close personal friend, not even a friend of a friend.

if youre able to afford, go for the new.

that doesnt mean that u cant get a decent used car, but its a gamble.

It's npt a gamble. U can find good second hand cars, but it's like everything second hand, u have to check the condition and compare. Sometime it's not worth to buy the cheapest one. It's really important to see the consition. Better pay a 30'k more for a good one than buy a cheap one and spend another 100'k for repairs. but in another way with 30 to 50'k you can do a lot of things on a car unless in Europe where you would spend 10 times more for repairs. so for example i had a old Toyota Celica 1972 and dor about 30'k i had ovehauled the whole engine (new pistons, valves, big end, etc). replaced all bushings, ball joints shocks, brakes, radiator, AC compressor, etc. and all this for not even 1'000 USD. Consider labout is very cheap. So if you know about cars you can save a lot of money if you buy second hand. Important: Have to see the condition of a car when you are interested, not the story.

Two things stand out:

I agree with most of your post but TBH most vehicles in Thailand are Japanese design and very reliable add the dirt cheap labor costs I can't see how you can be nickle and dime to death here. If it was a US or European model vehicle I would agree.

I bought my first Toyota pickup from a farang in Pattaya. He bought it new and had the service records from the first service. The service record were dated and the mileage recorded. It was an excellent vehicle. On the other hand, I looked at another Toyota pickup at a dealer's lot. It should have still been under warranty but it wasn't. No service records at all. Low mileage? The odometer said so. So my answer is if you can find a farang who bought the vehicle new and who can show the service records, you will be far better off than buying from a crooked dealer.

I bought my first Toyota pickup from a farang in Pattaya. He bought it new and had the service records from the first service. The service record were dated and the mileage recorded. It was an excellent vehicle. On the other hand, I looked at another Toyota pickup at a dealer's lot. It should have still been under warranty but it wasn't. No service records at all. Low mileage? The odometer said so. So my answer is if you can find a farang who bought the vehicle new and who can show the service records, you will be far better off than buying from a crooked dealer.

There are 2 kind of used cars! If you buy a 2 or 3 year old car or Pick Up truck or, then you are beable to find some, with the service records or history, because they still under warrantie. But again 2 or 3 year old cars are really not worth to buy second hand. For example a 4 year old Vios still about 430'k in the market and for a 100'k more yo'll get a new one. But a 10 to 15 year old 150'000 Baht used car, like a "Hyundai" or a "Toyota Doremon" you are not beable to find one with service records. Because nobody uses new car dealership services after warrantie, because the price of a new car delaership service and parts is 3 time the costs of a local workshop service. I persanally a car professional so why i would use a dealership when my local machanic can do the job without any apointmement? Parts i order directly from worachack 3 times cheaper than in a dealership, even original parts). New car Dealerships have high costs so they have to charge higher prices.