In The Market For New Laptop

Flummoxed

My laptop is knocking on a bit.

I want a new one. I will keep it for at least 3 years.

I only use laptops because I'm always on the move but I crave power so I can live with a bit of bulk.

I want the fastest, sleekest, most rootin' tootin' laptop money can buy. I want one of those fangled gloss deep black screens with wide aspect ratio. It will be my television, DVD player, duke box, lover :o most super dooper window on the World. I want to play heavy duty games... I want it all.

Any recommendatons?

New "improved" models appear daily, however I recently saw both a Toshiba and Sony notebook with:

17 inch "ultrabright" widescreen

WindowsXP Media Edition 2005

P4-3.6gig

1 gig memory

100 gig HDD

Dual-layer 16x DVD/CD burner

Full Wi-Fi

Full-size keyboard (you did say you could live with a little bulk)

TV recorder

Dual batteries

......and much more

Cost: $2800-$3000 (US)

(Asked Santa for one. Got my fingers and toes crossed. :o)

:D

I only use laptops because I'm always on the move but I crave power so I can live with a bit of bulk.

I want the fastest, sleekest, most rootin' tootin' laptop money can buy. I want one of those fangled gloss deep black screens with wide aspect ratio. It will be my television, DVD player, duke box, lover :o  most super dooper window on the World. I want to play heavy duty games... I want it all.

Any recommendatons?

If I could just throw in a suggestion or two. . .

You should try to get one of the Intel Centrino chips. They are at least as fast as the P4 chips but they use up incredibly less power and give off much less heat. This allows you much more battery power, and less worry about burning up your laptop in Thailand. I believe these machines are generally lighter too. A 1.8ghz centrino is about the same as a 3.0 p4 but you can find centrinos at 2.1ghz or more.

A big bottleneck with laptops is the mediocre hard drive. The best you can find now is the 7200 rpm Hitachi travelstar and I'd recommend this as an upgrade at least as important as an extra bit more juice on the cpu.

Yes, get one of those nice neat screens! I have a pretty typical screen on my laptop and I have been seen drooling over those Sony screens I saw at the mall.

I want the fastest, sleekest, most rootin' tootin' laptop money can buy. I want one of those fangled gloss deep black screens with wide aspect ratio. It will be my television, DVD player, duke box, lover :o  most super dooper window on the World. I want to play heavy duty games... I want it all.

Any recommendatons?

If I could just throw in a suggestion or two. . .

You should try to get one of the Intel Centrino chips. They are at least as fast as the P4 chips but they use up incredibly less power and give off much less heat. This allows you much more battery power, and less worry about burning up your laptop in Thailand. I believe these machines are generally lighter too. A 1.8ghz centrino is about the same as a 3.0 p4 but you can find centrinos at 2.1ghz or more.

A big bottleneck with laptops is the mediocre hard drive. The best you can find now is the 7200 rpm Hitachi travelstar and I'd recommend this as an upgrade at least as important as an extra bit more juice on the cpu.

Yes, get one of those nice neat screens! I have a pretty typical screen on my laptop and I have been seen drooling over those Sony screens I saw at the mall.

Just to add,

I ran a Sony Viao P4 last year. BIG MISTAKE. Battery life is pathetic and pro-longed use resulted in MAJOR overheating and unlitmately the actual casing of the notebook warped!

Unbelievably, the Sony service centre on Petchaburi road, denied any liability and put it down to wear and tear (after only 8 months of ownership).

However, whether the same overheating problems still remain with the Centrino chip in a Viao, i cannot comment.

I run a Compaq and Centrino now and have had no problems, but would not by Sony Viao again as i simply would take the risk of the same disappointment.

Edited by kir

Get yourself an Apple PowerBook or iBook. My girlfriend had a VAIO. After I loaned her my iBook she ditched the Sony and bought herself a 12" PowerBook. She loves the easy integration of Thai script, the effortless networking, the nearly-crash proof OS, and the easy-to-use included software, etc., etc.

We took the PowerBook on a month-long-tour of Thailand last October and loved it....

YMMV

Try Toshiba A75 Satellite- 3.2GHZ, 80GB HD, 512RAM, ATI9000- just bought one for around $1300 US.

By far, I like Toshiba. The buttons don't fall off as easily, and the build feels really strong. I have a Toshiba Protege M200 and am so happy I chose it over a similar ACER. Of corse, I must note that the "M" and "E" on my keyboard is fading...

Get yourself an Apple PowerBook or iBook. My girlfriend had a VAIO. After I loaned her my iBook she ditched the Sony and bought herself a 12" PowerBook. She loves the easy integration of Thai script, the effortless networking, the nearly-crash proof OS, and the easy-to-use included software, etc., etc.

We took the PowerBook on a month-long-tour of Thailand last October and loved it....

YMMV

does it run Adobe Photoshop :o

YMMV

does it run Adobe Photoshop :o

Of course....

Version tracker: Adobe Photoshop for Mac OS/X

Any recommendatons?

http://www.frok.co.th/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=M630

Any recommendatons?

http://www.frok.co.th/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=M630

Though that's a very good price, I think the original poster wants something with a bit more juice than that machine. That's a 2.4 ghz celeron system and is on the very low end of new laptop setups.

Check out the Dell Latitude Series.

I have a D800, with a wonderful 17 inch screen, 16:9 with 1920x1200 Resolution, awesome!

Mine has a 1,8 Centrino, they have 2,1 or 2,2 now, I think.

Fast 7200 HD with 60 GB, Firewire, 1Gig Ethernet, Modem, WIFI a,b,g chip, good grafics card (GForce 5650 with 128 M), 1 GB Memory, good Sound, DVD burner, Battery good for 3-4 hours.....

One important thing I learnt the hard way: This model (although bought in Europe) is full serviced and on 3 Year warranty in Thailand.

Price? I guess you can get a similar model now for under 3000$.

Sunny

I would recommend a DELL Inspirion 9200

It uses a mobile intel centrino which performs at about the equivialant of 1.5X the speed when compared to a regular P4

And you can get some kick ass graphics for it as well.

It is what my next laptop will be - or the later model depending upon when I buy it

K

I was thinking along thses sort of performance lines...

http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1006

WOW :D

Oh... Hot! nVidia Geforce 6800 Go PCIX 256 + DVI!!!! Get it, get it, get it!!

Then modify it like a hotrod!

That is, if you can get it sent to Thailand without $2000 worth of tariff. :o

Ah, sweet... Voodoo knows how to please a gal... :D

Have you checked out Alienware?

Samuel Lewis shares his Confessions of a PC/Windows Snob in LegalTechnology:

As an experiment, I started playing with a Mac this year, and the experience has been an eye-opener. Over the course of the year, I've found that the Mac has a number of advantages over Windows-based systems, not least of which is the fact that most viruses and spyware are specifically designed to exploit weaknesses in Windows. Either OS X doesn't suffer from the same security problems as Windows, or it has been operating far enough under the radar that virus and spyware creators haven't bothered to write programs aimed at OS X.

I've also discovered that while where are some hurdles to using a Mac in an otherwise all-Windows office environment, these are easily overcome. After six months of using an Apple PowerBook as my primary computer, I am sufficiently impressed that if forced to select between a Windows-based system and a Mac, I would chose the Mac. This is not to say that the Mac is for everyone. But if you're in the market for a new computer, you owe it to yourself to look at the Mac. My days as a PC snob are over

.......As an experiment, I started playing with a Mac this year, .....

While the Apple machines are excellent for certain specialized work, the steady decline in available software, combined with the much higher cost of available programs, make for a dubious life expectancy. Sadly, in the last few years, Apple's share of the computer market has declined from 5% to less than 3% today. In fact, the computer side of the company is operating in the red. Their salvation this past year has been iPod sales (reportedly over 4 million). It's doubtful they can sustain this over the long haul, as Sony and others have "smaller and better" players in the pipeline.

............spyware creators haven't bothered to write programs aimed at OS X.....

There are a few virus's out there aimed at Apple's OS (and Linux), but as you stated, the authors of those virus's don't get as much publicity as they would, for example, by shutting down a few hundred large Corporate networks. So this mainly accounts for the lack of OS-X virus's.

"You pays ur money and takes ur choice." :o

I don't want to get into a big Macintosh debate here. I do think it's sad that people have such mistaken notions about the machines and reject them out of hand.

I've been using them exclusively at home for 20+ years and have yet to find, with one exception, things I needed to do on a computer that I couldn't do on a Mac. That one thing was develop Access applications for work. That was solved with Virtual PC....

My daughter, who used Mac's all her life, finally got to clamoring for a Windoze machine so she could "be just like everyone else". (All her friends are PC, as is the school.) When I asked her what she needed to do that she couldn't do on a Mac she spent a week thinking about it and the one and only thing she came up with was animated icons in MS Messenger.

So, we gave her the Sony VAIO that my girlfriend abandoned for a PowerBook. Yeah, she now has bouncing icons, but the machine keeps quitting due to thermal overload, she can't install the drivers for the web cam we bought her and the battery crapped out after the machine was a little over a year old. The replacement we bought from Sony was DOA.

I use Windoze all day at work and I'm always so grateful to get home where I have couple of real computers!

My guess is that most people who won't even think about buying a Mac have probably never even used one. Once people do they are usually impressed with the elegance and ease of use of both the hardware and software.

As long as Apple continues to sell machines I'll be buying them and I'll continue to be a vocal if retiring evangelist.

Cheers!