Thai Wife In Has Settlement In Uk But Licence Runs Out

newstart07

Hi all,

My TW is currently on a 2yr settlement visa in the UK with me, but an oversight when she came to the UK in May this year is her DL which she tells me will run out early next year in TL, however she says she must go back to TL to retake the test and renew her licence, I said surely this cant be true and it could be done online, over phone or email, and they must surely take into consideration that she is not in her country to do it face to face, but my wife is adamant that it can only be renewed face to face and must go back to TL early next year to do this, hmm seems ridiculas to me!! Any advice or help much appreciated please...

Thanks in advance

Newstart

Her licence could be her first one, that only lasts for one year, If it is a repeat licence it lasts for five years and will expire on her birthday of that year.

The new licences are quite different to the old ones as well. In English and Thai..

The staff in the driving licence office tell me that Thais have to renew on time, foreigners can renew up to a year after expiry. The understand that we may be out of the country. I don't kknow if it applies to Thais as well if they are abroad.

Easy answer is to ask the Thai embassy in London.