Customs And Coin Collection

remorhaz

I am going to be going to Thailand for a year to learn to speak Thai and will be traveling on a student visa. Everything I own (not much) is going with me but I do have a book of bullion coins I have managed to collect over the years. These are modern 1 ounce gold/silver coins and are mix, from various countries, and I wanted to find out what if any problems I would have with this.

I don't intend to do much with them other than lock them up once there. If I went to the Thai embassy here (U.K.) first to get paperwork would this help? Do not relish the thought of this being taxed/seized.

thanks!

I am going to be going to Thailand for a year to learn to speak Thai and will be traveling on a student visa. Everything I own (not much) is going with me but I do have a book of bullion coins I have managed to collect over the years. These are modern 1 ounce gold/silver coins and are mix, from various countries, and I wanted to find out what if any problems I would have with this.

I don't intend to do much with them other than lock them up once there. If I went to the Thai embassy here (U.K.) first to get paperwork would this help? Do not relish the thought of this being taxed/seized.

thanks!

I highly suggest a bank box at home, and there is no sense in carrying the extra weight.

I have brought in old collectable coins and hundreds or pieces of old paper currency, with the intent to sell immediately to a foreigner, which was done.

However, by no stretch of the imagination would I have done so if not already presold.

Locking something up in Thailand is not as secure as you may think. Depending on where you will be teaching - just an added expenses and worry.

With the bad economics and dysfunctional government here you may be inviting loss or trouble. I've had many things "lost" including, money and even shoes from hotel rooms - bullion would go a lot faster I suspect.

Oh and do watch out for the scams remember this is LOS Land Of Scams.