Internet Explorer For Linux

Niloc

I have been really annoyed by Bangkok Bank who insist only IE can be used to do any internet banking with their site. It will not allow Firefox access! It detects that you are not using IE 5 or above and refuses to allow you to use it.

I found a site which installs IE on Linux and it works!! I had to install it twice but it works OK, still a pretty awful Microsoft program but at least it allows ypu to get into the bank!!

Here it is...

now open a terminal window and type

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

at the bottom of that page type

Code:

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt hardy main

then save and close the window.

go back to the terminal and type the next three codes one code at a time

Code:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wine cabextract

now your ready to download and install

Code:

wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downlo...x-latest.tar.gz

tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz

cd ies4linux-*

./ies4linux

Colin in Pai

Edited by Niloc

I think there are plug-ins for Firefox that can easily change the user agent to make it appear as IE also.

And you can just install XP in the Virtual Box, which runs fine all programs which refuse to run under wine or have no equivalent in Linux systems...

• 3 months later...

Old thread, was just browsing topics here

Bangkok Bank and others not only need your browser to identify itself as IE, but also use ActiveX controls and probably pass that activeX information, like login and session between windows if they have popups there.

There are plugins for Opera that allow you to emulate ActiveX, but they fail on switching between windows.

• 3 months later...

Bangkok Bank and others not only need your browser to identify itself as IE, but also use ActiveX controls and probably pass that activeX information, like login and session between windows if they have popups there.

There are plugins for Opera that allow you to emulate ActiveX, but they fail on switching between windows.

Bangkok Bank online banking works fine with Firefox and "User Agent Switcher". Using Linux Mint and Firefox 3.0.11.

Bangkok Bank online banking works fine with Firefox and "User Agent Switcher". Using Linux Mint and Firefox 3.0.11.

I guess it depends on what you are doing on the site.

If it relies on ActiveX, than no spoofing/agent switching will work. Even some javascripts won't be executed properly, as IE and Firefox use different standards and need different versions of the code for some tasks.

I guess it depends on what you are doing on the site.

If it relies on ActiveX, than no spoofing/agent switching will work. Even some javascripts won't be executed properly, as IE and Firefox use different standards and need different versions of the code for some tasks.

Yeah, I had to go to native IE to add a new transfer payee. Once I did that, I was able to execute tranfers to that payee in Firefox no problem.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Online+Banking/...rowser+Test.htm

Doesn't work on either Opera, Opera identified as IE, Opera masked as IE...

Doesn't work in Firefox.

Desn't work in IE 8 either.

From their FAQ:

"2. What Internet browser should I use to access Bualuang iBanking?

We recommend Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5, which supports.."

How incredibly unprofessional for internet banking!

A need little program called Crossover Office allows you to run MS Internet Explorer including IE7. The none commercial version, called Wine, supports IE6.

The good part of Crossover Office is that you can also use lots more MS Windows programs, including Dreamweaver CS3, and it has a simple but effective user interface.

A need little program called Crossover Office allows you to run MS Internet Explorer including IE7. The none commercial version, called Wine, supports IE6.

The good part of Crossover Office is that you can also use lots more MS Windows programs, including Dreamweaver CS3, and it has a simple but effective user interface.

i have had better luck running windows junk with Sun Virtual Box. The few windows apps i need to use never worked right with Wine.

I've had it installed once, didn't work properly.

As far as I remember it's supposed to be .net platform for Linux, not for Wine - so I can install some Windows software in Wine but if it relies on .net, Mono is of no help.

On Wine site it says .net simlpy doesn't work and hasn't been tried for several years already.

Don't remember exactly what was wrong with Mono, or even on what distro I tried it out.

I agree with Richard-BKK. Crossover Office is fabulous. I believe they either recently released or will release soon an updated version.

With computer capacity nowadays, though, I've been tending toward the virtualization route. I use VirtualBox personally, and I run Windows XP.

For the extremely thrifty, go and get the free Microsoft Windows 7 Release Candidate. (I'm not sure if you can still download it but it's worth a try.) It supports IE 7 and 6 (through "compatibility mode") and it's free to use until late summer 2010. Windows 7 RC on VirtualBox is a zero-cost method to use true-blue Internet Explorer these days.

Edit: The problem with Firefox spoofing and even Crossover is that many Thai sites are very tightly coupled to IE. They depend on its unique method of rendering and running Javascript, and several sites depend on ActiveX. So there's no getting around using Windows, really.

Edited by jhs

• 1 month later...

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, a great OS, but have needed to have IE6 installed to get my favourite poker site to run. If you need IE then do this:

1. Go to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=624644 and follow directions to update your version of wine to the most recent one if necessary (even the newest Ubuntu version ships with an old version of Wine). Note that at point 4 in the list I had to replace Hardy with Jaunty (the name for Ubuntu 9.04) because the instructions don't cover the newest Ubuntu release.

Do it this way because wine will automatically be updated using the winehq Ubuntu repositories i.e. you'll get a notification from the update manager if a new version is released.

2. Install "winetricks" following the directions from http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

This simply involves two commands:

"wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks" followed by "sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6"

3. Run winetricks by typing "winetricks" in the terminal, select IE6 from the list in the dialogue box that pops out and follow the standard - click, click, click...

4. IE6 is now installed, but on my system there is no launcher listed. I need to select "Applications", "Wine",,"Browse C:\ Drive", "Program Files", "Internet Explorer" and then click "iexplorer.exe" to launch IE6; although of course I could easily just add a launcher to the menus...

I hope this is useful to somebody!