To Build Or Not To Build

I've been trying to build a house in Phuket for some time now and everything conspires to frustrate my efforts!

The land was acquired in 2006 and we are still locked in negotiations to upgrade the site to chanod. After significant slices of undertable money, we are now poised to complete the process in January. Of course we could still build on Norsor3gor, but for some reason the boundary is slightly different - something to do with hand-drawn plan versus satellite surveyed plan, i am told.

Then, the architect disappeared. So I engaged another through another friend - in BKK. Apparently industry practice in BKK is different from PHuket, where the structural and ME guys have been appointed; the communication between the parties has been poor and both sides are claiming that the other side has not provided the right information. Still working on completing the drawimgs..

Then, the pound sterling drops 33%. Which means of course the budget must be adjusted accordingly or the footprint must be reduced. This has yet to be done...

I gave up work to come out to Thailand for one year of construction, but i'm now not sure if i should bother, with the political instability, rising baht... and this is proving not a good time to have given up work!

I could sell the land but no market at the moment; also, it is a very special piece of land with sea view which would now cost the earth, a nice size (2 rai) 200 m from sea on a hill. Those in the industry say i should build and then sell, but i am having serious thoughts about going through the construction process on my own..

I could find prospective investors, the land is big enough for more than one property, and two or more households could be company for each other...

I could defer the project and hope the baht collapses while commodities remain low... but if the reverse happens... i'm screwed..

Any other options or clever ideas that i haven't considered yet???

Edited by Esper

There's a contractor in Phuket named John George Woods (Australian) if you can locate him he may be able to help you - he's in Phuket but I do not know where.

If you locate him please advise us also - we built a home on 5 Rai with 200+meters on the water outside of Chaiya.

Good luck

B

I've been trying to build a house in Phuket for some time now and everything conspires to frustrate my efforts!

The land was acquired in 2006 and we are still locked in negotiations to upgrade the site to chanod. After significant slices of undertable money, we are now poised to complete the process in January. Of course we could still build on Norsor3gor, but for some reason the boundary is slightly different - something to do with hand-drawn plan versus satellite surveyed plan, i am told.

Then, the architect disappeared. So I engaged another through another friend - in BKK. Apparently industry practice in BKK is different from PHuket, where the structural and ME guys have been appointed; the communication between the parties has been poor and both sides are claiming that the other side has not provided the right information. Still working on completing the drawimgs..

Then, the pound sterling drops 33%. Which means of course the budget must be adjusted accordingly or the footprint must be reduced. This has yet to be done...

I gave up work to come out to Thailand for one year of construction, but i'm now not sure if i should bother, with the political instability, rising baht... and this is proving not a good time to have given up work!

I could sell the land but no market at the moment; also, it is a very special piece of land with sea view which would now cost the earth, a nice size (2 rai) 200 m from sea on a hill. Those in the industry say i should build and then sell, but i am having serious thoughts about going through the construction process on my own..

I could find prospective investors, the land is big enough for more than one property, and two or more households could be company for each other...

I could defer the project and hope the baht collapses while commodities remain low... but if the reverse happens... i'm screwed..

Any other options or clever ideas that i haven't considered yet???

I would recommend that you consider getting in touch with me; I live in Krabi and have buildt many projects I use a qualified Civil Engineer, who does the architectural drawing following a consultation, on your final approval these will be signed to cover building planning approval requirements, we can arrange quality control of construcion during all stages, as require by you following your agreement.

You should no start building until you have chanod, a qualified survey should have been carried out and the markers put down, before starting anything.

Now is a good time to construct, the prices are down on all aspect; it would be worth while for you to come and see me in Krabi since I'm not far away, I could show you the standard of construction I have completed ranging for major housing to a recent hotel.

you can contact me on [email protected] mobile phone 0872 836 229 for additional advise.

Cheers jacques

I started buidling my house here 7 years ago and have lived in the house for 5 years now.  I didn't have any big problems at all with my builder and architect (both Thai).  Drop me a PM if you want any recommendations. Mind you it wasn't cheap, but the quality was great and so far there have been minimal problems.