Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

Hi.

Now did the yellows EVER attack cars with bricks WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED FIRST..?? I am not aware of such news.

You can talk about them shooting bullets as much as you want, while i did NOT support that action it was clearly after THEY had been attacked by an opposing mob FIRST.

Who is sitting in these cars that has attacked in any way, shape or form any member of the red-shirt-brigade?

Here we see very clearly who the pigs are. They wear red shirts (or head bands and masks).

Regards

Thanh

Really at swampy when they were shooting at the TV van I did not see an oposing mob attacking, care to share the picture?

Also the claims that the red was bombing them, again care to show video or pictures of a confirmed Thanksin supporting doing it? With all the video camera's and digital camera's I find it odd that I have not seen one video / image of the thanksin supporters throwing such bombs?

Their are several pictures of PAD wearing head bands and masks as well. Lets face it both sides are pigs

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Luck to the new PM, now it's up to him to show that he deserves the job, and has the interests of the whole country & all its people at heart, rather than just any one class or region !

Time for the PAD to give it a rest, and the Red-shirts too, the military to continue to hold only parades, and Dr Thaksin to stop stirring things up. A lot to ask ? Well, it is Christmas ! :o

I think the US is actually more politically divided than Thailand, at least until recently.

You may be right… although with Obama’s clear win I don’t know I agree that US is more divided than Thailand, but the US is not having un-peaceful "protests", so while the US may be divided, the citizens are engaging in democratic politics not anarchy and violent protests. But then agian the US political climate has nothing to do with what is going on in Thailand.

All I am saying is that civil war in Thailand is far from inevitable. There are some thorny problems that are coming to fruition, but Thai politicians and people should not abandon hope. And the hope is from the majority of the people, for peace and national unity.

Nothing but class from the redshirts

Several injured in rock throwing by red-shirted people

I would refer to my previous "incapable of losing gracefully" comment.

Lets see PAD shot bullets at the TV van, RED throws rocks? I wonder what one is more deadly?

PAD's dems loose, they go on a 2 year bit that includes things like overtaking government buildings, airports, seaports, trains, kidnapping police, taking news stations, and you call that "losing gracefully"?

The reds did not loose a vote by the poeple the dems did years ago.

1st) PAD and the Democratic Party are, if I'm not mistaken, two entirely different organizations with two entirely different aims and means. Just because 1 Democratic MP its a member of the PAD doesn't make them blood brothers.

2nd) Why are you arguing about the PAD to me? I think they are both idiots (red and yellow).

3rd) People on this forum really have no basic understanding of parliamentary systems? You don't vote for a leader, you vote for a person to represent your local area. Those people in turn meet and they vote on a leader. The MP's decided that 1 year and 2 inept PM's was enough for the PPP, and voted to go a different direction. That IS parliamentary democracy..... If you look at the popular vote, the DP and the PPP where virtually identical. But popular vote doesn't matter. If it did, elections would be way different.

I wonder how long it will be until we see the airports over run with red shirts????

The red has no guts to take the airport. They have no strong backers left in the country.

you'd be surprise my friend

Red shirts will be out sooooooooon in thousands

trust me, and I hope they do..... :o

So you are hoping for violence...nice...

funny you did not ask me that question when yellow shirts were out in force for the last few mths??? :D

(Fixed the quote you messed up. Must be hard...)

I didn't ask you a question above. You shall note the lack of a question mark after the sentence.

If the red's wanna protest, have fun. Would be fun for the supporters on this forum that claim they are better than the other hooligans however... no more moral high ground.

Go easy on him TAWP.

I was going to reply to him, but then realised the schools are on holiday, and he is probably bored :D

Anyone coming on here encouraging or hoping for violence, in my mind is sick and should be banned.

How can anyone take all this too seriously? The former Prime Minister and his wife are convicted for misappropriation of Govt Assets, abuse of privilege and so on. They appeal, they jump bail. The wife returns and walks around free. Try jumping bail in any western country and return and see what happens.

Then we have the 'audio & visual' brain washing of the masses. Red or yellow? Who cares?

Due process has been served. The PM was ousted and done by a Thai Court. Let the law stand. The two other nepotistic PM's were also ousted. The parliament dissolved and a vote has been taken. The new PM will now have to prove his worth. Let's hope the royals get behind him and give him the 'verbal' so the crowds back off.

Having heard this man publicly speak on occasions such as Rotary in Bangkok, in perfect English, I have no doubts he has a full understanding of legalese Westminster Law and have the intelligence that could make a fine leader, so let him run. If he has the intestinal fortitude and the backbone to withstand the undermining tactics and power-broking that will flail his senses, then he will have a chance to bring stability and provide a way forward. I would doubt there is a better person to lead this country right now looking at the options of hard nosed military and corrupt party (sic) members. If the Thai's don't like him then let them 'vote' him out at the next election.

And yes, the convicted criminal in exile will still be trying to run his self serving command upon the masses who will listen. As there are always more poor people than rich (the Pareto Principle) the promises of money to the poor will always get that vote. They care nought about the politics. If an 'election' were to be held, the vote would have the masses will done.

Right now it appears PAD have won, let's hope sanity and a strong arm of law will prevail and settle the feudal aspect by incarceration of law breakers - but then again... T.I.T.

Us Farang can only sit and ride out the tempest as there is literally nothing we can do otherwise other than pack up and leave. Our call, not the Thai's.

Anyone care to speculate as to how the PAD will react? Will this be enough to keep them from causing any more disruptions?

The PAD supported this from the outset.

I hope he can bring stability to Thailand but the problem is that neither he, nor his party, was elected by anyone!

The red shirts are not happy that their democratically elected government has been overthrown in what they call a 'silent coup'.

They won't accept this and more protests are likely!

It's not over yet!

Sorry but they were elected to a slightly smaller minority than PPP.

NEITHER had an electoral majority or 50.0000001 %

But when PPP's successor couldn't form a coalition this time,

the Dems as second largest ELECTED BLOCK are allowed to go toe to toe

with PPP's remaining elected MP's, and in this case they won.

That's the same rules as in the '97 constitution by the way.

Works in Israel, Italy and many other european countries just the same way.

Pretty stabndard parlimentary procedure for forming a government / cabinet.

The PPP was found guilty of electoral fraud. End of story for them.

Red Shirts can scream all they want, but the party doesn't exist

because the highest court in the land declared them null and void.

This court existed before the coup with essentially the same rules of operation.

The PAD supported getting rid of Thaksin's crony political machine.

That was their main platform and all other things were just tacked on.

PAD didn't direct a Dem win, if another NON-Thaksin-puppet-party

had cobbled together a coalition it would have been acceptable to PAD also.

Why waste your time trying to educate these people - they will never understand as that takes a small degree of intelligence.

Lets see PAD shot bullets at the TV van, RED throws rocks? I wonder what one is more deadly?

PAD's dems loose, they go on a 2 year bit that includes things like overtaking government buildings, airports, seaports, trains, kidnapping police, taking news stations, and you call that "losing gracefully"?

1st) PAD and the Democratic Party are, if I'm not mistaken, two entirely different organizations with two entirely different aims and means. Just because 1 Democratic MP its a member of the PAD doesn't make them blood brothers.

2nd) Why are you arguing about the PAD to me? I think they are both idiots (red and yellow).

3rd) People on this forum really have no basic understanding of parliamentary systems? You don't vote for a leader, you vote for a person to represent your local area. Those people in turn meet and they vote on a leader. The MP's decided that 1 year and 2 inept PM's was enough for the PPP, and voted to go a different direction. That IS parliamentary democracy..... If you look at the popular vote, the DP and the PPP where virtually identical. But popular vote doesn't matter. If it did, elections would be way different.

1st the PAD want the dems in control so they are different but the PAD wanted the dems. And you are grouping the REDs actions with the PPP loosing, so if you group REDS to PPP then by all logic the PAD is grouped to the dems, come on.

2nd I too think PAD and RED are acting like fools, however I was arguing with you about PAD because your post makes it sound one sided and its not.

3rd I understand completely, I never said anything about popular vote for the PM did I? The MP's have voted for PPP consistantly it was not until the PAD brought bangkok to a hault that they changed the way they voted, do you think it was 100% free will vote speaking for the people of their areas or was in part due to fear of the PAD's next actions?

REUTERS:Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:59am EST

New Thai prime minister faces immediate protests

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva became Thailand's third prime minister in as many months on Monday, taking control with a slender majority in parliament and an economy teetering on the brink of recession.

In a sign of the trouble in store for the Oxford-educated economist, 200 supporters of the government sacked by the courts two weeks ago blocked access to parliament after the vote and smashed windows of cars carrying MPs from his Democrat Party.

Chanting "Abhisit, army nominee," the red-shirted demonstrators denounced the 44-year-old as a front man for the military, which ousted elected leader Thaksin Shinawatra in 2006 and which has been accused of political meddling ever since.

Abhisit's majority of 16 MPs, based on support from small parties and a breakaway faction of the pro-Thaksin Puea Thai party, may disappear altogether on January 11 when by-elections are held to replace 29 MPs fired in this month's court ruling.

Even if he survives, it will be with an even thinner majority as the export- and tourism-driven economy feels the full force of the global slowdown and the recent week-long blockade of Bangkok's airports by royalist, anti-Thaksin protesters.

"Very soon, the impact of the global economic crisis will be felt more seriously in Thailand. The new prime minister needs to prepare immediately for that," Sompop Manarungsan of Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University said.

Outgoing Finance Minister Suchart Thada-Thamrongvech has forecast the economy would shrink 0.5-1.0 percent in the first quarter of 2009 from a year earlier and post no growth in the second, putting it on the brink of recession.

"There are no new bookings. You go to the hotels and they are empty," Luzi Matzig, managing director of travel agency Asian Trails, said of the double blow from the airport shutdowns and economic downturn.

He said their December business in Thailand is down 50 percent on a year ago.

Abhisit said last week reviving growth through increased government spending would be his top priority, although it remains to be seen where he will get the money from.

He has suggested there could be some reallocation of regional spending, but that would be sure to outrage voters in the populous north and northeast, where love of Thaksin and loathing of Abhisit runs deep.

Talking to reporters immediately after the vote, he said he would not outline any ideas or initiatives until he was sworn in by King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

THAKSIN'S STILL AROUND

On Saturday, the telecoms billionaire made a recorded video address to 40,000 supporters at a Bangkok sports stadium, calling for national reconciliation after three years of turmoil and urging the military not to meddle in Monday's parliamentary vote

"May all sides take one step back and respect the results," he said. "Please don't use any institution to intervene. Just let the country move forward. Don't make people suffer more."

His supporters have accused the military of launching a "silent coup" by claiming to have royal backing and pushing small parties in the previous government to form a Democrat-led government, a charge the army has denied.

A member of Thaksin's inner circle said last week the gloom hanging over the country may well make Abhisit's win a Pyrrhic victory, destroying his image among businessmen and Bangkok's middle classes as a safe pair of hands on the economic tiller.

Abhisit is also unlikely to make any headway in solving the fundamental rift in Thai society between the Bangkok elite and the countryside, where voters still hanker after Thaksin and his policies of cheap healthcare and agricultural loans.

"We have been and continue to be quite pessimistic about the prospects of such a resolution occurring in the short- to medium-term," Economist Intelligence Unit analyst Jacob Hamstra said.

Maybe I missed something but wont there have to be 33 by elections to replace the 33 banned ppp MP's.

might that not change the balance of power again as the new guy will be basically made a lame duck by the new majority in the house which will almost certainly go to the ppp what ever their called now party.

Anyone care to speculate as to how the PAD will react? Will this be enough to keep them from causing any more disruptions?

I hope he can bring stability to Thailand but the problem is that neither he, nor his party, was elected by anyone!

The red shirts are not happy that their democratically elected government has been overthrown in what they call a 'silent coup'.

They where elected, that is why they are in the parliament...and so was the other parties involved. This is one coalition, just as the one PPP set up some months back. Neither more or less legit.

Try to talk whit a Thai person, they know better about this new PM, all him family come from south Thailand.

All Thai people I know they said one word: Bad.

At the end him is elected from Pad no?

He must to follow the wishes of the party that give to him the power...

Good luck

All the Thai people you know are regional racists, how new.

And PAD had nothing to do with this election in the parliament.

Because they think he is bad that makes them "regional racists" :o . If you don't like him your a racist? Interesting....

No, it's the comment that "all him family come from south Thailand", that makes it a racist comment.

And "him is elected from Pad no ?" makes it an ill-informed comment.

But at least he still wishes the new PM "Good Luck" ! :D

Edited by Ricardo

They won't accept this and more protests are likely!

It's not over yet!

I have to ask......

Since all the MPs who voted him in were voted in the same democratic process that lead to a PPP dominated coalition, also a minority party forming a coalition with many of the same people who are now part of the current government, how can you say this so called 'democratically elected government' has been overthrown?

Or is it democratic to cheat in an election LOL

Many of the yellow shirts and the red shirts, at least most of the ones I have met, are not exactly the best or smartest people.

Try to talk whit a Thai person, they know better about this new PM, all him family come from south Thailand.

Good luck

Because they think he is bad that makes them "regional racists" :o . If you don't like him your a racist? Interesting....

Highlighted above. It was the notion that he came from the south.

Read, think then reply.

How can anyone take all this too seriously? The former Prime Minister and his wife are convicted for misappropriation of Govt Assets, abuse of privilege and so on. They appeal, they jump bail. The wife returns and walks around free. Try jumping bail in any western country and return and see what happens.

Then we have the 'audio & visual' brain washing of the masses. Red or yellow? Who cares?

Due process has been served. The PM was ousted and done by a Thai Court. Let the law stand. The two other nepotistic PM's were also ousted. The parliament dissolved and a vote has been taken. The new PM will now have to prove his worth. Let's hope the royals get behind him and give him the 'verbal' so the crowds back off.

Having heard this man publicly speak on occasions such as Rotary in Bangkok, in perfect English, I have no doubts he has a full understanding of legalese Westminster Law and have the intelligence that could make a fine leader, so let him run. If he has the intestinal fortitude and the backbone to withstand the undermining tactics and power-broking that will flail his senses, then he will have a chance to bring stability and provide a way forward. I would doubt there is a better person to lead this country right now looking at the options of hard nosed military and corrupt party (sic) members. If the Thai's don't like him then let them 'vote' him out at the next election.

And yes, the convicted criminal in exile will still be trying to run his self serving command upon the masses who will listen. As there are always more poor people than rich (the Pareto Principle) the promises of money to the poor will always get that vote. They care nought about the politics. If an 'election' were to be held, the vote would have the masses will done.

Right now it appears PAD have won, let's hope sanity and a strong arm of law will prevail and settle the feudal aspect by incarceration of law breakers - but then again... T.I.T.

Us Farang can only sit and ride out the tempest as there is literally nothing we can do otherwise other than pack up and leave. Our call, not the Thai's.

Good post

FF

The upcoming Thai recession is unstoppable, due to the fall in exports, the reversion of the current account into deficit and the fall of the Trade Balance into negative territory.

Also the level of Government debt to GDP is very high.

Prognosis not good. Doesn't matter whether Abhisit is his own man or just a puppet.

Edited by Journalist

I think bombs and grenades from M79 grenade launchers are more deadly. As we have seen when more yellow has been killed, than reds (1 sofar?).

So...it's clear it's not the yellow that is more deadly.

Time will tell whether Abhisit is capable to lead the country sucessfully out of this political and economic crisis. I hope he can and believe he can though their are cultural and political elements that will try to prevent or hold back his well meaning intentions for the country.

What worries me a little is that he comes from a previleged back ground, socially and economically.

He may not have mixed with grass roots level people and will be difficult to relate to their life styles and problems with poverty. I think one of the keys to solving poverty is experiencing it rather than reading about it.

Anyways hope he's the MAN! :o

Abhisit began his political career in 1992 as a Democrat MP for bangkok constituency. He was reelected to the same seat in 1995 and 1996. In the elections of 2001 and 2005, he returned to parliament as a Pary listed MP for the Democrat Party. He has served as Democrat Party spokesman, Government spokesman, Deputy-Secretary to the Prime Minister for Political Affairs, Chairman of the House Education Affairs Committee, and Minister to the Prime Minister's Office.

Abhisit has occasionally been criticized for relying on his good looks to further his career.

Can't beat an Oxford or Cambridge education, has to be good for the country.

That does not mean a thing.

I knew a guy. He hold a King scholarship (the toughest in Thailand), and went to study law at Oxford. His name was Noppadon Pattama. Ring a bell? Some to do with Thaksin personal lawer / spokeperson turns Foreign Minister.

Good luck

Are you sure?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pad-Announce...on-t229168.html

So the fear of have again the airport closed dont help him???

Are you sure?

"All the Thai people you know are regional racists, how new" yes ok...one advocate from hua hin, 2 business men from Phuket, one professor from Bangkok University.

Yes they are a real racists people.....

Up to you.

bye

Can't beat an Oxford or Cambridge education, has to be good for the country.

That does not mean a thing.

I knew a guy. He hold a King scholarship (the toughest in Thailand), and went to study law at Oxford. His name was Noppadon Pattama. Ring a bell? Some to do with Thaksin personal lawer / spokeperson turns Foreign Minister.

Precisely.

And we won't ask how people get selected for such scholarships anyway.

Good luck

Read, think then reply.

So because his family comes from the south and some one states that fact they are regional racists?

I unlike you do think.... Would I be a regional racist if I said Obama's moms side of the family is from Hawaii and his dads side is from Kenya?

The poster did not say he was bad because he was from the south did he? no he said his family is all from the south, then a seperate statement that he is bad.... Not he is bad because he comes from the south.... Big difference.... So please take your own advise, READ, THINK (hard for you I know) then reply.

Good luck

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

"All the Thai people you know are regional racists, how new" yes ok...one advocate from hua hin, 2 business men from Phuket, one professor from Bangkok University.

Up to you.

bye

Exchange their objection of him being from the south with being muslim, being dark skinned, being black, or being from another planet, and perhaps the point is clearer.

If their objection is where he was born, they ARE 'regional racists'.

Why would it matter what kind of jobs they have?

I think bombs and grenades from M79 grenade launchers are more deadly. As we have seen when more yellow has been killed, than reds (1 sofar?).

Show me a video of the REDs attacking the yellows.... don't talk about it, post a link....?

I think what you are talking about above is the polices use of force to remove a crowd of people that had taken over a government building.... that was not the RED protestors.... Its mute anyway both RED and YELLOW are violent protestors.

Good luck

Read, think then reply.

So because his family comes from the south and some one states that fact they are regional racists?

I unlike you do think.... Would I be a regional racist if I said Obama's moms side of the family is from Hawaii and his dads side is from Kenya?

The poster did not say he was bad because he was from the south did he? no he said his family is all from the south, then a seperate statement that he is bad.... Not he is bad because he comes from the south.... Big difference.... So please take your own advise, READ, THINK (hard for you I know) then reply.

Nice flame, silly rabbit.

First off all, if the poster really meant no connection with the opinion of 'bad' and 'from the south', but ONLY - and this is the kicker - that they ONLY knew that ONE fact about him, you are right they are not regional racists. They are uneducated morons.

It would mean they lack knowledge about the person and render a verdict based on, well, what did they base it on? Care to tell me?

Perhaps oceano can fill us in?

Good luck

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Up to you.

bye

Exchange their objection of him being from the south with being muslim, being dark skinned, being black, or being from another planet, and perhaps the point is clearer.

If their objection is where he was born, they ARE 'regional racists'.

Why would it matter what kind of jobs they have?

You are reading content that was not in his post... Where did he say they did not like him because he is from the south? Where did he say they did not like him because he is muslim? I don't see that in the post at all nor even a hint at that... Stop reading into posts, read the post then respond to the words in the post not the words in your head.

Show me a video of the REDs attacking the yellows.... don't talk about it, post a link....?

I think what you are talking about above is the polices use of force to remove a crowd of people that had taken over a government building.... that was not the RED protestors.... Its mute anyway both RED and YELLOW are violent protestors.

You could start by remembering the father of the PAD-supportive radio station in Chiang Mai?

Clearly reds attacked on those images.

And bombs and the M79 grenade-attacks, right, they are of course not done by anyone red or aligned with them. It's done by fairies, trolls and goblins and other imaginary creatures.