Treadmill Advice

Beanster1

I've decided to get myself a treadmill, thought the choices are limited here in Chiangmai. Does anybody have any advice about good brands, specific models etc.

I'm reluctant to buy at a department store and I've found a couple of shops that only sell fitness equipment.

The treadmills that I've been looking at are made by Greenmaster, Tunturi and DK City (World Exercise). The first two seem to be good brands though I can't find any info on DK. (And their website doesn't work)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Beanster1

:o

• 2 weeks later...
I've decided to get myself a treadmill, thought the choices are limited here in Chiangmai. Does anybody have any advice about good brands, specific models etc.

I'm reluctant to buy at a department store and I've found a couple of shops that only sell fitness equipment.

The treadmills that I've been looking at are made by Greenmaster, Tunturi and DK City (World Exercise). The first two seem to be good brands though I can't find any info on DK. (And their website doesn't work)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Beanster1

:o

I've owned several - but I'm not familiar with the brands you list. Of course, Nordic Trac, Lifecycle - and other well-known name brands would be best - but they are often made by other companies that also market under their own name.

My own experience says - Don't buy cheap. Try to run on the machine before you buy it - make sure it is sturdy and doesn't wobble or bounce as you run. Especially in this part of the world where they are often made for lighter local folks. Shoot for at least 2.5 hp. motor. I never care about all the special functions - just more stuff to go wrong - but do make sure you have electric elevation - so can can change the angle as you jog/run. If the machine seems strong and sturdy - you have a good starting point.

I have a home gym and so have had experience in buying fitness equipment in CM, although not a treadmill.

Do your homework and visit Central Dept. Store Sport Mart to inventory and price the mechandise. There is a new sport mart also in that center so check it out.

Then go to the stand alone fitness equipment store on the eastern canal road southbound south of the main gate. It is next to a guest house and the Fujitsu computer store. Sorry I don't have better directions. Then check out the fitness store under the Bowling Alley on the northern canal road eastbound.

Finally, make sure Carrefour and Tesco don't have the model you choose as their prices are cheaper, but so is their quality poorer.

I ended up buying my fitness equipment from the fitness store next to Fujitsu. They took me to Chiang Mai University athletic department to show me the multistation home gym they had installed there. Likewise, bargain hard, I reduced the asking price printed in the catalogue by half. I likewise bought a used dumb bell set from them at quite a savings. They display fitness equipment in front of their shop so you should be able to spot them as your drive toward the airport on the canal street, about 500 meters before you make the turn at the south east corner of the canal system.

PM me if you can't find it and I will have my Thai get better directions and I will look up their phone number. The guys in there are all fitness buffs and very helpful. You can order from their catalogues if you don't see what you want on the floor. My only advice is buy a treadmill that doesn't vibrate or wiggle when you use it. You will pay alot more depending on the amount of "electronics" are part of the package. Good luck.

Thanks a lot guys, I think the two stores you mentioned are the ones I've been to pn the canal. The models I'm looking at are all really sturdy, they have to be I'm no that light!! One function I would really like to have is the wireless built in heart rate monitor that automatically controls the machine to keep you in your target heart rate. They have them in the new gym in Lotus, Leaders I think it's called.

I still haven't bought one, no rush just waiting to get the right one for me.

• 3 years later...

I am looking for a treadmill as well and I am 280 pounds. I used to run ultramarathons when I was at 200 pounds so I'm sure once I ease back into it I will use the machine a lot. My problem is I don't live in Bangkok and around here we have few choices. The salespeople do not speak English so I'm having a hard time figuring out which machine has the things I want. Also the largest motor on any of their machines is 2.75 HP and I don't think that is big enough. It might be borderline for my big size and intended use, but the machine is 63,000 baht so I don't want to shell out that kind of cash just to have to deal with warranty issues all the time. I need up-time on this machine not down-time if I am going to get back to my old level of fitness.

I am wondering if Pattaya has any stores with a good selection of fitness equipment? I could go to BKK, but that would be kind of stupid because I will need service in the future like bearings, a new belt, etc. Oh, and surely the cushioning devices (rubber, pneumatic, or spring) will go out a lot faster with a fatty pounding away on the thing for an hour or two three times per week. I don't want to go all the way to Bangkok everytime I have an issue.

I'd be thrilled to hear from anyone who has some ideas that might help me out.

I only have experience from the treadmills they have in the gyms.

I think the brand is Lifefitness, but I think they are very expensive.

Just be careful with your knees while using the threadmill. Since the movement is so predestined? (im sorry for my poor english) with the treadmill, it is easy to hurt your knees.

Good comforting shoes are important as they can help balance the pressure on your knees in case you step more one the inside of the foot or the outside.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Perhaps someone else can explain it in better english.

Take care.

/comehome

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a treadmill as well and I am 280 pounds. I used to run ultramarathons when I was at 200 pounds so I'm sure once I ease back into it I will use the machine a lot. My problem is I don't live in Bangkok and around here we have few choices. The salespeople do not speak English so I'm having a hard time figuring out which machine has the things I want. Also the largest motor on any of their machines is 2.75 HP and I don't think that is big enough. It might be borderline for my big size and intended use, but the machine is 63,000 baht so I don't want to shell out that kind of cash just to have to deal with warranty issues all the time. I need up-time on this machine not down-time if I am going to get back to my old level of fitness.

I am wondering if Pattaya has any stores with a good selection of fitness equipment? I could go to BKK, but that would be kind of stupid because I will need service in the future like bearings, a new belt, etc. Oh, and surely the cushioning devices (rubber, pneumatic, or spring) will go out a lot faster with a fatty pounding away on the thing for an hour or two three times per week. I don't want to go all the way to Bangkok everytime I have an issue.

I'd be thrilled to hear from anyone who has some ideas that might help me out.

I bought a treadmill from a Big C Supercentre. After a year the motor burnt out. I used it everyday for approx 40 minutes. Phoned Big C and they directed me to the supplier. Phoned them and they bought out a new motor, replaced it (for free)and now it goes just like a new one!Motor guarantee was for 4 years,whereas for treadmill itself just a year.

The reason the motor burnt out was apparently I should have been told to spray silicone lubricant under the belt say once a month. Was able to purchase a can at Robinsons for 1200 Baht! but hopefully it will extend the wear & tear of the treadmill

About a year ago I have bought a DK CITY for approximately 15000 Bath I got a discount of 20%.I have used it nearly every day for about 40 minutes per day..Up to now no problems. However I do not use the programs maybe thats the reason it still works ok.

• 1 year later...

I only have experience from the treadmills they have in the gyms.

I think the brand is Lifefitness, but I think they are very expensive.

Just be careful with your knees while using the threadmill. Since the movement is so predestined? (im sorry for my poor english) with the treadmill, it is easy to hurt your knees.

Good comforting shoes are important as they can help balance the pressure on your knees in case you step more one the inside of the foot or the outside.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Perhaps someone else can explain it in better english.

Take care.

/comehome

Sorry the latest medical advice is to run on a treadmill with bare feet. If you run in trainers, you are principally pounding on your heels, which is acting as a semi-brake, whereas if you run bare footed you are landing on the mid outer of the foot and continuing the momentum. You will run faster and with less resistance to your legs. Happy days.