Cdma V. Gprs/edge?

AA1

Let me warn you to start by saying I am very definitely NOT electronically minded as you will see!!

Early next year we are moving to our house in rural Surin full time and will need internet/email & Skype (if possible).

There is NO broadband or even landline as none in the area.

Ipstar seems to have very definitely had its day.

What am I left with?

1). A box like a mobile phone which has a SIM Card inserted and then the whole lot is plugged into the computor like a memory stick. a CDMA?

or

2). GPRS/Edge via my mobile and Bluetooth.

I know that we can get a reasonable 1-2-Call reception with AIS.

I read that, with what I call CMDA, Novatel Ovation MC727 uses an external antennae so to improve reception, if needs be, I may be able to add to this antennae so that the arial extends up into the roof for better reception.

BUT as all you 'experts' can help what are the Advantages & Disadvantages of the 2 systems and which would you recommend before I set up the wrong one!!!!!

Many thanks, in advance, as any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Anthony.

Let me warn you to start by saying I am very definitely NOT electronically minded as you will see!!

Early next year we are moving to our house in rural Surin full time and will need internet/email & Skype (if possible).

There is NO broadband or even landline as none in the area.

Ipstar seems to have very definitely had its day.

What am I left with?

1). A box like a mobile phone which has a SIM Card inserted and then the whole lot is plugged into the computor like a memory stick. a CDMA?

You can get EDGE based usb modems also. There are options like the Cradlepoint MBR that you can install your usb modem (check for compatability before buying!) that will let you share you connection with any and all computers that are connected to the router. Also, this lets your connection be up all the time, which is ok if you have an all you can eat plan.

or

2). GPRS/Edge via my mobile and Bluetooth.

See above about another option.

I know that we can get a reasonable 1-2-Call reception with AIS.

I read that, with what I call CMDA, Novatel Ovation MC727 uses an external antennae so to improve reception, if needs be, I may be able to add to this antennae so that the arial extends up into the roof for better reception.

There are many usb based modems that offer external adapters; check that option out before purchase.

BUT as all you 'experts' can help what are the Advantages & Disadvantages of the 2 systems and which would you recommend before I set up the wrong one!!!!!

I don't see how anyone could recommend going with EDGE over EV-DO. If you see the posted speeds (which match what I get), you'll notice that the Upload alone on EV-DO is as fast or even faster than EDGE's download. Also since CAT's network isn't as loaded as AIS you shouldn't notice slowdowns as much. Least ways I don't. Latency, which will affect your Skype calls, is much lower on CDMA.

Bad thing is that when we go down to meet the sister-in-law in Samut Prakarn I can not use the CAT system because of the Hutch/CAT agreement. So basically, upon leaving the house I have to start using EDGE.

Many thanks, in advance, as any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Anthony.

I'll try to put it in overview for you:

There are 2 mobile phone systems in Thailand allowing internet access, namely GSM and CDMA.

* GSM network. This network delivers internet through the GPRS/EDGE standard. GPRS is the older standard while EDGE offers higher speeds. The two biggest operators using this system are AIS and Dtac. They cover the whole of Thailand, where the bigger cities and more densely populated areas have the faster EDGE service while out in the boonies you might only get regular GPRS.

To get access you can use either a GPRS/EDGE capable phone and connect this using a USB data cable or through bluetooth, or you use a dedicated GPRS/EDGE modem. There are very little differences in speed so it's basically up to personal preference which method you want to use.

Speeds: 100-200 kbps download/ 20-60 kbps upload when on EDGE, 20-60 kbps download / 10-25 kbps upload when on standard GPRS.

Pro's: Can use almost any phone (if GPRS/EDGE capable) or dedicated modem device, just pop in a sim card and you have access. Low initial investment

Virtual nationwide coverage.

Cheap, many packages available from a few hours/month all the way to unlimited.

If you are not happy with one provider, just pop in a simcard from the other!

Con's: Relatively slow. Usable for regular surfing, mails, text chatting, but voice over internet (skype etc) won't work properly due to too slow upload speeds and high latency. Very slow (comparable to dial-up) when no EDGE is available.

Speeds can go down when there is a lot of mobile phone usage in your area. The system gives priority to voice calls.

* CDMA network. There are two companies in Thailand using this system, one is CAT and the other is Hutch. Their area's of operations do NOT overlap. Hutch covers Bangkok and most of the Eastern Seaboard while CAT covers the remaining 50 something provinces. While for voice service (i.e phonecalls) they have a roaming contract so your CDMA phone works pretty much nationwide regardless of your operator, for internet access they do not have a roaming contract, so internet access you can only have while in the area of your own operator.

Again there are two speeds available, the older CDMA 1X speed, or the newer CDMA EV-DO speed. The latter is fast enough to be considered real broadband. Hutch only has 1X available, while CAT seems to be aggressively expanding their EV-DO coverage. To use the CDMA network you have to buy a device from the operator. They do not use sim cards, so your phone number/subscription is hard coded onto the device.

Speeds: When on EV-DO speeds are reported to be almost always over 1 mbps downloads. Uploads depend on the type of modem you have. The older models seem to get around 40-60 kbps while the newer models upload at over 200 kbps.

When on CDMA 1X speeds are not that fast. Slightly slower then on the EDGE network. If only 1X is available you're better to use the GPRS/EDGE network.

Pro's: Speed obviously, lower latency as well. Most applications you use on fixed broadband will work on EV-DO. Streaming video (youtube), internet telephony etc will all work.

Con's: Initial investment. The device is expensive, and you can only buy from your operator.

Limited coverage. You can't stick it in your laptop and start moving around. Lots of black spots in the coverage, and some provinces (Bangkok!) without any coverage at all.

@dave: The list of products doesn't matter for CDMA. What matters is what CAT offers, and that's the CCU-680 for 10,990 Baht and the Novatel card that's cheaper. CAT doesn't use SIM cards in these modems so the contract is locked to the physical device. While CAT probably could, if they wanted to, support 3rd party CDMA modems, they don't and they won't. That said, the two modems CAT does offer are pretty good and reasonably priced.

To the original question: The only pro I can see for EDGE is that it works in Bangkok. EDGE is dead slow, whereas CDMA is faster than my TOT DSL line most times. CAT promises 1400 Kbps for the CCU-680 (called Franklin CDU-680 outside Thailand, BTW), and they mostly deliver.

If CAT works in Surin, choosing CDMA is a no-brainer.

IS anybody using True?

Edge B250 unlimited / month Pre Paid?

Or B450 / month including access to True Wifi hotspots?

Looks a very good deal.

Cheers

Edit : Post Paid / Pre Paid

The Post Paid deal is B299 Edge+Wifi but I like the idea of a prepaid data sim.

Edited by percy2

IS anybody using True?

Edge B250 unlimited / month Pre Paid?

Or B450 / month including access to True Wifi hotspots?

Looks a very good deal.

Cheers

Edit : Post Paid / Pre Paid

The Post Paid deal is B299 Edge+Wifi but I like the idea of a prepaid data sim.

True's coverage is very poor.

Many places where you have good phone reception, yet no internet access.

Most places where they do have internet access only GPRS is available and no Edge.

Even in Bangkok apparently lots of places are not yet upgraded to Edge.

Probably only a good deal if you happen to be in reach of a True Wifi Access point...

When an operator charges only 25% of their competitors there is most probably a reason (both Dtac and AIS are around 1000 Baht/month unlimited)!

True's coverage is very poor.

Many places where you have good phone reception, yet no internet access.

Most places where they do have internet access only GPRS is available and no Edge.

Even in Bangkok apparently lots of places are not yet upgraded to Edge.

Probably only a good deal if you happen to be in reach of a True Wifi Access point...

When an operator charges only 25% of their competitors there is most probably a reason (both Dtac and AIS are around 1000 Baht/month unlimited)!

I suspect so.

But it may also be that they are just making a promotion to help them catch up with the giants that are AIS Dtac.

For B20 for a sim card and B250 for a months subscription I might just suck it and see.

I may end up with a postpaid account if thats going to be the way to get a sub B10,000 3G iPhone!

Cheers

Thanks so much for all your help.

I now have a much better understanding of the differences between the 2 systems which may be possible for me.

I will look into CAT and see if EV-DO is available yet in my area and if so go for that. If not then set up with EDGE until it is and then swap over.

Very very grateful to you all.

Anthony.

Just trying out this new MC727 modem ( also know in the USA as Sprint U727 ) this morning and getting 1882 /206

which compared to my past EDGE connection , is a lot better. :o

Will be in Phuket for 6 months, can I bring a MC727 from the states and get a service contract or do I have to buy the modem in Thailand? Thanks.

Just trying out this new MC727 modem ( also know in the USA as Sprint U727 ) this morning and getting 1882 /206

which compared to my past EDGE connection , is a lot better. :o

Will be in Phuket for 6 months, can I bring a MC727 from the states and get a service contract or do I have to buy the modem in Thailand? Thanks.

Ask GaryA about his experience trying to us a US Motorola Q. I'd recommend just buying the modem when you get to Phuket; then it's only a ~$50/mo. rental fee even if you throw it away. If you resell it your 'rental' price will be lower.