Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

Correct, one of the bars on tick over was flickering therefore indicating a rough tickover.

Not necessarily. The bars are spaced at 250 rpm. So if your engine was idling at around 1250 rpm then it is quite likely that the sixth bar, indication between 1250 and 1500 rpm would flicker on and off. By moving the screw to adjust the idling speed away from the threshold to say 1300, then the bar would remain solid. The recommended range for idling is 1250 to 1350. I cannot imagine how a slight adjustment of the idle speed would affect the smoothness of gear changes.

The idling speed is basically the no load rpm speed, except for ancillaries such as lights. If you switch on the main beam then expect the revs to drop. High performance high revving engines often have a rough idle anyway. Often they are adjusted for a significantly higher than normal idle speed.

Once he did what you said and slightly adjusted the tickover everything fell into place as it were.

It really is a different bike, a lot easier to ride now, maybe it could be because it has 10k kms on the clock now?

Happy Songkran.

Maybe you are just getting better at riding it? :):D

Wish I could find a way of reducing the "CLUNK" putting the bike into first gear.

And a happy new Thai year to you too.

Thanks 12drinkmore.

I hated clunking it into 1st so now I start in 1st gear so no clunk, anytime I am waiting for the lights I just switch off and start again about 10 seconds from green.

I would rather replace a clutch than a few cogs in the gearbox.

Drove to Bang na this morning from Pattaya without getting splashed with water (only a rain storm). Siracha dry, Bang Sean very wet as was Chonburi.

I went the old way, the way I used to come from the old airport before the expressway was built.

Brought back a few memories with all those traffic lights.

Stay dry.

Norm

And just how do you expect to get out of the way in an emergency if you always turn your bike off at intersections? You should always be in a ready to ride status. I see this all the time here. It only takes once for some stupid driver to make a mistake and you have no ability to move your bike in a hurry.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys, I got an email from this thread while I was away on vacation and didn't follow up right away... a couple of guys were saying not to use high pressure sprayers to clean the ER6n. Can someone explain why?

Hi guys, I got an email from this thread while I was away on vacation and didn't follow up right away... a couple of guys were saying not to use high pressure sprayers to clean the ER6n. Can someone explain why?

Bikes are water resistant but not waterproof. They're meant to withstand rain, but not a pressure washer. Pressure washers can put water in places where it doesn't belong, like past the o-rings of your chain, into bearings and into sealed electrical connections. None of those places like being wet. And the Thai-made bikes seem a bit more rust prone than most... Keep frames, bolts, cables and any other exposed metal surfaces dry and oiled as much as possible. Personally I think the Thai made DID chain is the worst component on the bike- Kawa replaced mine on the 650R free of charge when it wore out after only ~16000 km but it really ought to be recalled IMO. Thai-made DID chain on my ER6n was shot after only ~18000km.

That's really the ONLY problem I've had on either bike- the chain wearing out prematurely. Nothing else has broken or worn out and I've ridden these bikes hard!

Happy Trails!

Tony

I remember reading on a number of reviews that the er6n isn't ideal for a taller (191cm) rider, would those with experience agree? Because of this I plan to get the D-Tracker until the Versys becomes available, had an email from Tidavan at Kawasaki recently who said that they have had a lot of enquiries about the Versys and thinks it could be available (made) here in the next couple of years.

Hey there Guys, i love the look of the ER6, i have seen one advertised, in Pattaya second hand, only problem is, i live in Phuket and am a little concerned about re-registering costs for Phuket.

How much should i expect to pay for a second hand 09 plate?

Thanks

Alex

Hey there Guys, i love the look of the ER6, i have seen one advertised, in Pattaya second hand, only problem is, i live in Phuket and am a little concerned about re-registering costs for Phuket.

How much should i expect to pay for a second hand 09 plate?

Thanks

Alex

moving reg for thai kawasaki from pattaya to phuket is less than 1000 baht and done in 10 days. hazzlefree.

if you go for it, you should complete the transfer in pattaya first to make sure you are the owner before paying. Then I ll guide you through the phuketprosess. done it several times

I remember reading on a number of reviews that the er6n isn't ideal for a taller (191cm) rider, would those with experience agree? Because of this I plan to get the D-Tracker until the Versys becomes available, had an email from Tidavan at Kawasaki recently who said that they have had a lot of enquiries about the Versys and thinks it could be available (made) here in the next couple of years.

I am 180 and hip angle open at approx 80 degrees riding er6, so should work fine for 191 to

Been to Kawasaki Pattaya again today to buy some more chain wax. (650Baht).

Oh man, it's white in colour this time!!!!!!!!

Can't they make it in black or slime green?????????????????????

Another point, does anyone know where to buy matt black exhaust paint? I've looked all over man.

I fancy blacking out my exhaust underneath. (Not the down pipes, that would look awful!).

And another point, they have no slime green wheel rim tape left!!!!!!!!!! (500 baht).

Cheers.

Keep those good times rolling.

:)

Edited by NormanW

Been to Kawasaki Pattaya again today to buy some more chain wax. (650Baht).

Oh man, it's white in colour this time!!!!!!!!

Can't they make it in black or slime green?????????????????????

Another point, does anyone know where to buy matt black exhaust paint? I've looked all over man.

I fancy blacking out my exhaust underneath. (Not the down pipes, that would look awful!).

And another point, they have no slime green wheel rim tape left!!!!!!!!!! (500 baht).

Cheers.

Keep those good times rolling.

:)

the exhaust can contains the cat which is extremely hot. I dont think exhaust spray would stick for long. but if it does, I will do as you, black it out. its greyish anyway

That's really the ONLY problem I've had on either bike- the chain wearing out prematurely. Nothing else has broken or worn out and I've ridden these bikes hard!

Happy Trails!

Where can we get an aftermarket chain? Mine makes a lot of noise, I agree this is the only problem with the ER6. Can't imagine a chain would be very expensive?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I am looking at a new one, they have one in stock, but if there was a near new second hand one going, well, I could save a bit of cash (for helmet etc)

While I am on it, do they throw anything in with the new bikes?

If anyone knows of a 2010 black abs ER6N for sale in Chiang Mai, I'm all ears....

Aw man, my mate has just told me 20mins ago he is selling his black Ninja 250 with 2k kms on for 120k, he's moving to the Phillipines.

Never mind, I'll keep my ears pinned to the ground for you Bung.

Norman

My green ER6n 2010 is developing a problem starting. Usually it starts right up but today twice it took many attempts and twisting the throttle to get it to start. Both times there was a gasoline smell in the air (before trying to start). Will have it checked out by Kawa CM shortly just wondering if anyone has seen this?

I also had a problem starting her after taking a - forced - break for a month but figured that was probably normal.

Nikster what fuel are you putting in the er.

also on a side note. If any one knows of an Er6 with front end damage going cheap. I may be interested. Its for a project.

Edited by thaicbr

I saw a rental ER6N in the CM Kawa workshop that had bent forks but I guess they will just repair it and carry on. ABS as well...

I think any with front end damage will just be repaired on insurance, there is one going for 175k in the classifieds, pretty cheap.

Nikster what fuel are you putting in the er.

91. Always and only. I think I tried gasohol once, but not recently.

also on a side note. If any one knows of an Er6 with front end damage going cheap. I may be interested. Its for a project.

I'll let you know should I crash her... :) but if you look at the "graveyard" at Kawa CM, you'll see that they fix even the most horrific looking bikes...

My green ER6n 2010 is developing a problem starting. Usually it starts right up but today twice it took many attempts and twisting the throttle to get it to start. Both times there was a gasoline smell in the air (before trying to start). Will have it checked out by Kawa CM shortly just wondering if anyone has seen this?

I also had a problem starting her after taking a - forced - break for a month but figured that was probably normal.

Just a thought but maybe you shouldn't be twisting the throttle....the injection should take care of the fuel metering needed to start it, sounds flooded.

I would have to store mine for 4 months at a time, so I'm interested in any storage ideas. I put a battery tender on but I like to drain all the fuel out of them, is that easy enough to do on an injected bike?

Petrol smell on a carb engine would deffo mean flooding.. and in general 'cranking the throttle' is horrible advice with a hard starter..

I know often I come back to my bike to find Thai guys sat on it, twisting the throttle like children, etc.. This pumping the carbs isnt ideal either !! I would have assumed an FI wouldnt flood the same way but dont know.

Petrol smell on a carb engine would deffo mean flooding.. and in general 'cranking the throttle' is horrible advice with a hard starter..

I know often I come back to my bike to find Thai guys sat on it, twisting the throttle like children, etc.. This pumping the carbs isnt ideal either !! I would have assumed an FI wouldnt flood the same way but dont know.

there is no fuel flooding on Fi if ignition is not on.

Fi should not be throttled when starting. ECU does this automaticly

Thanks for your advice guys. I don't normally twist the throttle when starting, just seemed the only way to get it to start up that day. It's been fine for the last 2 days. Problem happened after hard riding in 40 degree weather, and leaving the bike out in the sun, too, so I think it might be heat related. Full tank too.

Thanks for your advice guys. I don't normally twist the throttle when starting, just seemed the only way to get it to start up that day. It's been fine for the last 2 days. Problem happened after hard riding in 40 degree weather, and leaving the bike out in the sun, too, so I think it might be heat related. Full tank too.

do you wait 3-8 seconds before cranking from switching on ignition? fuel pump needs a few sec to build up pressure, and very hot bike could have an airbubble in fuel line/injection, espesially if tank almost empty.

Hi Guys,

I hope anybody can give me some advise. I have changed the slip-on on my er6-N 2010 with a Yoshimura slip on. Now my FI (feul injection) light stays on. I believe it has to do with the fact that the original one had a pressure meter for the FI which I had to take of.

How do I deal with this issue.

Thanks and cruise safely!!

Nicky. do you mean the sensor on the exhaust. if so you need to get a bung welded onto ya new downpipe to take the sensor. any decent exhaust shop should be able to do it for a few hundred baht.

Nicky. do you mean the sensor on the exhaust. if so you need to get a bung welded onto ya new downpipe to take the sensor. any decent exhaust shop should be able to do it for a few hundred baht.

Yes thanks. I also just read it from some earlier posts. I believe tony did the same.

Cruise safely!

I've seen pictures of Yoshi systems for the ER6 and it clearly has a fitting already welded in to take the o2 sensor. Are you sure they just didn't bother to fit it when they put it on your bike? Assuming someone did the work for you of course.

Edited by Bung

I've seen pictures of Yoshi systems for the ER6 and it clearly has a fitting already welded in to take the o2 sensor. Are you sure they just didn't bother to fit it when they put it on your bike? Assuming someone did the work for you of course.

Not so sure about that- as the Yoshi system is made for the US market and the ER6n / Ninja 650R in the US doesn't have the O2 sensor so most US manufacturers don't include a bung on their pipes. Then again, it's quite possible that Yoshimura makes two versions- one without for the US market and one with for export. Perhaps the poster ordered the wrong pipe? At any rate- it will only cost a few hundred baht to have the bung added to the pipe. DO NOT RUN YOUR BIKE WITHOUT IT- you risk running lean and cooking your engine!