Lets Put This To The Vote.

Jockstar

When do you celebrate?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In 625 A.D. central leaders of the church decided since people were going to celebrate the re-birth of the SUN on December 25th -- the church would really celebrate -- the most important birth, the birth of the SON of God. It took a little time but Christianity prevailed. Although two customs, the Yule long, and kissing under the mistletoe still remain from the pagan days, most every other custom we have today comes from Christ's birthday.

I thought it was 25 december to conincide with the keltic festival of the mid winter solstice (or something). This is also where the christmas tree is from.

The didn't have pines in palestina 2005 years ago :o

And I thought it was the birth of Mithras (another religion going around in the late Roman period that was popular with emperors and soldiers). That definitely was the 25th December.

Useless information - the Vatican is built on the site of an old temple of Mithras.

When I was a child, we used to get to open one present on Christmas Eve (probably just to get us to stop pestering our parents). All the others, and Christmas Dinner were Christmas day though...

Edited by bkk_mike

It's the 25th all civilised people know that.

I remember when I worked for a travel agency some guests called me on the morning of the 25th to go and see them in their hotel.

I got there and and they asked me if I had had a good Christmas.

I managed to suppress my true feelings.

Heathens.

Come on, there were no Jesus, it's all an old folks tale. Let it not prevent you from having a merry xmas though :o

Why the vote? What will that prove? That most people who read an English-language website use English traditions! As have been pointed out several times, all of mainland Europe celebrates xmas evening of 24th: Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, French, Italians, Spanish, Greek, Swiss, Portuguese ... what makes you think just because your puny island use another day that somehow becomes "the right day" ?

Come on, there were no Jesus, it's all an old folks tale. Let it not prevent you from having a merry xmas though :D

Why the vote? What will that prove? That most people who read an English-language website use English traditions!  As have been pointed out several times, all of mainland Europe celebrates xmas evening of 24th: Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, French, Italians, Spanish, Greek, Swiss, Portuguese ... what makes you think just because your puny island use another day that somehow becomes "the right day" ?

Puny island :o you must be a frog? :D

Face it Civilised people have it on the 25th. :D

Come on, there were no Jesus, it's all an old folks tale. Let it not prevent you from having a merry xmas though :o

Why the vote? What will that prove? That most people who read an English-language website use English traditions!  As have been pointed out several times, all of mainland Europe celebrates xmas evening of 24th: Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, French, Italians, Spanish, Greek, Swiss, Portuguese ... what makes you think just because your puny island use another day that somehow becomes "the right day" ?

So what about the UK, Oz, NZ, Us, South Africa, S. America, Singapore, Eire, Canada, and even Thailand(though its not a holiday) . Look! It was a poll to actually see what the majority of people thought was the right day. Looks like majority rules.

:D

So what about the UK, Oz, NZ, Us, South Africa, S. America, Singapore, Eire, Canada, and even Thailand(though its not a holiday) . Look! It was a poll to actually see what the majority of people thought was the right day. Looks like majority rules.

And Madsere does'nt